• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py [Solved] Updated graphics card...now Ren'py animations do not finish the loop [video included]

KevorkianPHD

Dec 4, 2017
[Solved] Did a fresh install of windows.....everything is fine now

Last month I installed my new NVIDIA 3080....upgraded from a 2080.

Ever since the upgrade all Ren'py games that I downloaded from F95zone have their animations stop working. The game will load fine, the video will start, i have audio....but then the video doesnt finish looping. It will "glitch" around 1/2 way or 2/3 way and then go back to the start of the animation.

I am not a developer, just a consumer. I know some coding and am talented with computers...so if there is a fix I can do that's fine....but I think this is something else.

Just for reference my unity games videos work just fine.

Also, all my drivers are up to date. And yes I have tried to force renderers.

:::: I have attached a video clip of what it looks like on my end :::::

Last edited:

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
I have this glitch once in a while too but without a GPU change. All videos play fine and then suddenly they stop after 1-2 seconds. What has helped me is going back to previous animations in the same game and running them, it magically fixes it. Don't know if that will be any help in your case, though.

Just a wild suggestion - try removing your saves folder (or persistent file) in the root of the game and in C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\RenPy

KevorkianPHD

Dec 4, 2017
I have this glitch once in a while too but without a GPU change. All videos play fine and then suddenly they stop after 1-2 seconds. What has helped me is going back to previous animations in the same game and running them, it magically fixes it. Don't know if that will be any help in your case, though.

Just a wild suggestion - try removing your saves folder (or persistent file) in the root of the game and in C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\RenPy
Deleted the Appdata saves and in game saves....no dice
Thanks for the suggestion

Reactions: LightmanP

MLocke

Feb 3, 2021
Try disabling GSync if you have it. Also, create a profile that limits the framerate (FPS) for RenPy games. I think "flickering glitch" is a known issue with RenPy and GSync.

KevorkianPHD

Dec 4, 2017
Try disabling GSync if you have it. Also, create a profile that limits the framerate (FPS) for RenPy games. I think "flickering glitch" is a known issue with RenPy and GSync.
It's not a flickering, the game the assets the video...all load and work fine

HOWEVER, the video will play 1 second of video, then reset to the beginning of the animation loop....it never completes the loop

I have tried limiting the FPS to 60 on the Renpy software and various games (from your suggestion) and I have GSync turned off.

The problem still persists
:::: I have attached a video clip of what it looks like on my end :::::

MLocke

Feb 3, 2021
There's a performance patch for that game that reverts the ANGLE renderer back to the GL one. That shouldn't be a factor for your GPU though. You could try downloading that WEBM (VP8) file, then drag it back into a Chrome browser window so that it tries to play the file from your hard drive in a new tab. I think Chrome also uses ANGLE, and you can check the chrome://gpu page for any errors. If you are experiencing such a strange bug, I would also just try a different version of the nvidia drivers.
This is the actual WEBM from that game:

KevorkianPHD

Dec 4, 2017
There's a performance patch for that game that reverts the ANGLE renderer back to the GL one. That shouldn't be a factor for your GPU though. You could try downloading that WEBM (VP8) file, then drag it back into a Chrome browser window so that it tries to play the file from your hard drive in a new tab. I think Chrome also uses ANGLE, and you can check the chrome://gpu page for any errors. If you are experiencing such a strange bug, I would also just try a different version of the nvidia drivers.
This is the actual WEBM from that game:
I was able to play your file plus any renpy file that I ripped from various games....so I the only other thing to try is a older driver version....but im sure im not the only one playing renpy games with a 3080 tho!

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
you said your drivers are up to date but have you tried to first remove the driver entirely (via utility) before installing the latest? (maybe obvious but easy to overlook).

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Have you tried playing with different renderers? Hitting Shift+G should pull up that menu, and seeing if the same issue happens.

Reactions: Laxard

KevorkianPHD

Dec 4, 2017
you said your drivers are up to date but have you tried to first remove the driver entirely (via utility) before installing the latest? (maybe obvious but easy to overlook).
I uninstalled the driver for my nvidia 3080 entirely, game still had the issue without a graphics driver. Then installed the latest driver, issue still persists.

Serpico1616

Dec 22, 2018
I am having this same problem, just started about two weeks ago. Tried everything to fix, but nothing worked
(edit) changing the audio quality from 384khz to 192khz fixed it. I forgot to update this months ago, sorry.

Last edited:

rawels

Apr 7, 2018
try checking your device audio, ren'py dont find the divice, and if he dont play the sound, that loop the animation

Lysergic

Aug 18, 2018
try checking your device audio, ren'py dont find the divice, and if he dont play the sound, that loop the animation
I've been having problems with videos no longer playing in VNs randomly and I just hooked up my speakers to this pc and now they work. I can't believe how much time I've spent trying to find a solution to this and you're the first person who's mentioned an audio device being required by ren'py. Thank you so much

Reactions: rawels