• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM WIP [SOLVED] Running into problems trying to translate a Diselmine game

OsheaikoL

Apr 1, 2020
Yo! Due to the whole pandemic business, I've decided to try and translate H-games in my spare time. I'm nowhere near proficient in Japanese, but I like slowly making a game legible to me. It's frustrating to see really cool looking H-games that I can't undertand.
Anyways, I'm currently translating "Nightmare School ~Lost Girls~" (I cannot post it, due to it having loli subject matter). Diselmine games tend to have a system where the dialog is written in a bunch of ".sl" files. I convert these into text, edit and replace the files, which allows me to translate.

HOWEVER, there is one headscratcher that's stumped me - there are moments in-game where characters will talk while the player has full control, as shown here:

Capture.PNG

I've tried to find this text everywhere, to no avail. I've looked:

-In all of the ".sl" files
-Through the data folder, and through all the .json files
-Through all the image files
-In the js folder, and all the plugins

At this point, I'm not sure where else to look. Worst case, I won't be able to translate those moments. (Which sucks, since one of them is a really cool moment where one of the characters tries to trick you into turning around.)

Any ideas? There are other diselmine games I want to translate, too, and if I can't do something as simple as changing this particular text, it could prove tough.

I'm open to any questions, too, if you need more info/want to know more about my translation process.​

OsheaikoL

Apr 1, 2020
Do you have .RPGMV files? Maybe it's stored inside Map data.

I went through, and combed the game's files very carefully, and I can confirm with 100% certainty that the only .RPGMV files are used as either image files, or audio files.

I think there was a map data file in the data folder, but there was nothing relevant when I took a peek inside.

I'm also utterly sure that it couldn't be an image, because:

1. I checked every image file
2. The text in question scrolls character by character, which leads me to believe that it's in-engine.

Deleted member 601433

Donor
May 7, 2018
I will have a look at home in about a hour. I know how to translate WOLF RPG and RPG maker VX ACE. But I'm not sure how to translate RPG maker MV games. So I'm also interested how to do it.

OsheaikoL

Apr 1, 2020
Found it.
So, I looked through my files - I think my json files are encrypted, which would explain why I wasn't able to find any strings through Ctrl+F beforehand

I'm looking into de-crypting them now - I think this'll help me finally move forwards, thank you so much!

Did you have to decrypt your files at all?

Deleted member 601433

Donor
May 7, 2018
So, I looked through my files - I think my json files are encrypted, which would explain why I wasn't able to find any strings through Ctrl+F beforehand

I'm looking into de-crypting them now - I think this'll help me finally move forwards, thank you so much!

Did you have to decrypt your files at all?
I'm using
Just choose the .exe path and it will decrypt everything.

OsheaikoL

Apr 1, 2020
Actually, looking at it now, it looks like my files just aren't displaying the Japanese characters. Strange...

I wonder how I could go about fixing this?

Capture.PNG

OsheaikoL

Apr 1, 2020
Do you search for english words?
I'm searching the japanese words.
Yeah, I was searching for the japanese words, and nothing came up. It's why I dismissed the dialog being in those files

I just downloaded the decryptor, I'm trying to figure out how to use it. I'm pretty sure once I get it working, I'll be able to find the dialog bits with no issue

OsheaikoL

Apr 1, 2020
Hmm, no, it doesn't look like it's working, still.

For some reason, the japanese characters in the map files are instead formatted as such:

[ $autoMessageWindow.dataSet(\"student\", 1, \"\u5148\u751f\u3058\u3063\u3068\u3057(ect...) ]

I'm fairly certain the "uXXXX" numbers are supposed to be the japanese characters

OsheaikoL

Apr 1, 2020
So, I changed my locale - my json files are still using that strange formatting with the characters. At worst, I may have to individually go in and decypher each one of the "uXXXX" bits

OsheaikoL

Apr 1, 2020
I'm going to try and redownload the json files, I think the ones I have here are botched. Luckily, I don't have to retranslate much, since the bulk of my work was done in the sl files.