• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[Solved]Atom text editor is dead

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
Atom text editor is dead

what editor should I use that is simple to use for a replacement for atom

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
You can still use it and will work just as fine as it did before.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Personally, I'm continuing to use Atom.

It may not be updated.
It may not be possible to easily install addons.

But it still works and does the job I want it to do (at least for RenPy).

I guess if I were just coming into things now, I'd let the RenPy SDK install VSCode in the same way it used to install Atom. Path of least resistance and all that.

Reactions: rayminator

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
A reminder that versions of RenPy up to at least 7.4.11 still came pre-packaged with Atom. I haven't checked the current download page, but my installed copy of 7.4.11 includes Atom. You can install Atom from there, then just use newer version of RenPy with Atom as the default editor.

It doesn't solve the lack of addons (like minimap) - but when I found out that Atom was being phased out - I deliberately grabbed all the addon packages I used ahead of the time when the repository was removed.

Worse, my default text editor hasn't been updated since Windows XP shipped. It still works, but I understand why people wouldn't want to use it these days.

Quadruple-Q

Times are HARD
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2023
Honestly, just use Visual Studio Code, in my opinion it's quite a bit better than Atom nowadays. You can install it through the Ren'Py launcher --> preferences --> text editor.

You can also install several extensions such as the Atom One Dark Theme and Ren'Py language which will make the transition a lot easier.

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
I've used Atom, VS code, Notepad++, and Sublime.

Sublime is my favorite. It feels more responsive and faster, if that makes sense.