'Skills' on a side-scroller game

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Hey hey hey! Zachy here.

I basically need some ideas on creating a Skill for my RPGM side-scroller game. And when I mean skill, I mean a special move you can use in combat to defeat enemies more easily or escaping. The skill system will be pretty similar to the one seen in Megaman games. After defeating a boss, you get to use one of their special abilities agaisnt enemies.

I have definitive ideas for some of the skills, like an aerial dash, being invincible for some seconds, or shooting magic. The problem I have right now, is the first skill the player will get after defeating the first boss. I was thinking about a 'dash' that would let the player slide under gaps and pass through enemies, or an improved melee attack.
The first boss is going to be some kind of Tree Girl wich is going to remain stationary on a corner of the screen and shoot leaves to you; and then after recieving certain amout of damage, she's going to dash to the other side of the screen and keep doing the same thing till' you defeat her.

What do you guys think? Would a 'dash' skill be appropiate for this boss? Or should I think on something else?
Of course, you're welcome to leave your suggestions. Thanks, btw!

W65

May 31, 2018
Hey hey hey! Zachy here.

I basically need some ideas on creating a Skill for my RPGM side-scroller game. And when I mean skill, I mean a special move you can use in combat to defeat enemies more easily or escaping. The skill system will be pretty similar to the one seen in Megaman games. After defeating a boss, you get to use one of their special abilities agaisnt enemies.

I have definitive ideas for some of the skills, like an aerial dash, being invincible for some seconds, or shooting magic. The problem I have right now, is the first skill the player will get after defeating the first boss. I was thinking about a 'dash' that would let the player slide under gaps and pass through enemies, or an improved melee attack.
The first boss is going to be some kind of Tree Girl wich is going to remain stationary on a corner of the screen and shoot leaves to you; and then after recieving certain amout of damage, she's going to dash to the other side of the screen and keep doing the same thing till' you defeat her.

What do you guys think? Would a 'dash' skill be appropiate for this boss? Or should I think on something else?
Of course, you're welcome to leave your suggestions. Thanks, btw!
Is this going to be a linear-progression game like the earlier Mega Man games, or more of a Metroidvania?

If it's the latter, I think traditionally the first skill would be a movement skill, but it kinda depends on how the player's progression through the game will be going. If you want the player to be locked into a small area in order to get a feel for how the game plays before being able to access the rest of the world, then it makes sense for the first skill to be movement-related--then just block off the exits to the rest of the world using the "gate" that is controlled by that skill. A dash, a flash-step, a speed boost--anything would work. If you want the player to be able to stumble in over their head, then you don't necessarily need to restrict their exploration as much, but it's still pretty standard in the genre that you'll be getting movement skills as you go.

If it's a linear stage-based kinda game, then there's not necessarily as much of an expectation on the player's part that the skills are going to contribute to exploration--although I think most modern side-scrollers even of the linear type have at least some exploration component.

I mean, really that's the sort of decision you as a developer get the freedom to make. It's up to what you think would work best in your combat system, with the amount of exploration you want the player to be doing at what points in the game, and, frankly, what you think you're going to be able to program up without headaches.

"Dash" as a skill is kind of basic, and a lot of games would just start you off with the ability. So if you're going to make it an acquired skill then it should probably be one that you get very early in the game. I once played a side-scroller that literally required you to pick up an item in order to walk to the right. It was, of course, the first major item in the game, but it still sorta set the tone for the rest of the game.

Really, maybe instead of asking item-by-item, put together a list of how you want the player's skill progression to go, and then get advice on the whole shebang. You're going to want to have the entire thing planned out before you start making much in the way of content, since your world map or your stage progression is going to depend pretty heavily on how the player is able to get around.

Then again, if the abilities are just for combat, then I guess the maps are a little more disconnected from how the abilities will operate.

Um, I guess one word of advice would be to consider using an engine other than RPG Maker. I guess I have no idea how long you've been developing with it versus other engines, but something like Godot ought to be much better at handling things like collision detection, and should have 2D side-scroller frameworks available. I have seen people do things like action games in RPG Maker, but it's not really intended for that kind of thing. Enterbrain or whoever it is these days does have that "pixel maker" engine, but I haven't heard much about it--at least Godot is free.

But there are actual developers out there who'll give you better advice on engine selection than I can.

Reactions: Zachy

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Is this going to be a linear-progression game like the earlier Mega Man games, or more of a Metroidvania?

If it's the latter, I think traditionally the first skill would be a movement skill, but it kinda depends on how the player's progression through the game will be going. If you want the player to be locked into a small area in order to get a feel for how the game plays before being able to access the rest of the world, then it makes sense for the first skill to be movement-related--then just block off the exits to the rest of the world using the "gate" that is controlled by that skill. A dash, a flash-step, a speed boost--anything would work. If you want the player to be able to stumble in over their head, then you don't necessarily need to restrict their exploration as much, but it's still pretty standard in the genre that you'll be getting movement skills as you go.

If it's a linear stage-based kinda game, then there's not necessarily as much of an expectation on the player's part that the skills are going to contribute to exploration--although I think most modern side-scrollers even of the linear type have at least some exploration component.

I mean, really that's the sort of decision you as a developer get the freedom to make. It's up to what you think would work best in your combat system, with the amount of exploration you want the player to be doing at what points in the game, and, frankly, what you think you're going to be able to program up without headaches.

"Dash" as a skill is kind of basic, and a lot of games would just start you off with the ability. So if you're going to make it an acquired skill then it should probably be one that you get very early in the game. I once played a side-scroller that literally required you to pick up an item in order to walk to the right. It was, of course, the first major item in the game, but it still sorta set the tone for the rest of the game.

Really, maybe instead of asking item-by-item, put together a list of how you want the player's skill progression to go, and then get advice on the whole shebang. You're going to want to have the entire thing planned out before you start making much in the way of content, since your world map or your stage progression is going to depend pretty heavily on how the player is able to get around.

Then again, if the abilities are just for combat, then I guess the maps are a little more disconnected from how the abilities will operate.
Well... As I wrote in the OP, my game is a linear stage-based like Megaman (except for the prologue, where you get to explore a little bit of the island without a map selection menu). However, since it's a RPG-sidescroller hybrid; there's some zones you can't enter without the appropiate gear (or else you'll get killed way too fast).

This is what I meant with "the first skill the player will get".
You'll get that skill in the easier level of the game, where you can defeat enemies with three hits using the initial weapon. That's why I wanted to make more it more of a basic skill, that you can use to escape from enemies or get secret items (like hearts-tanks in Megaman X).

Anyways, thanks for the reply! Now I'm confident about putting that as the first skill.

Um, I guess one word of advice would be to consider using an engine other than RPG Maker. I guess I have no idea how long you've been developing with it versus other engines, but something like Godot ought to be much better at handling things like collision detection, and should have 2D side-scroller frameworks available. I have seen people do things like action games in RPG Maker, but it's not really intended for that kind of thing. Enterbrain or whoever it is these days does have that "pixel maker" engine, but I haven't heard much about it--at least Godot is free.

But there are actual developers out there who'll give you better advice on engine selection than I can.
And about this... You shouldn't worry. I've managed to surpass RPG Maker limitations multiple times in the past and I'll be happy to do it for this project too (I've made Cookie Clickers and 3D Shooters with this engine).

I know you may see RPG Maker as a limited engine in the technical aspect, due to all the games out there made without effort and that look all the same. But I assure you this won't be the case.

I don't know if you'd like to, but you could take a look to my to see how my project is going (there's also a little Sneak Peek video, showing the first part of the prologue).

Trocion

Aug 7, 2018
Not sure on the capabilites of RPGM but what about like wind gust ability that makes an enemy/s levitate so you can smack the hell out of them in the air?