Unreal Engine Showcasing the dynamic wrinkles technology in UE4

Rell games

May 5, 2020
Hello everyone! Hope you had a great holiday!
I'm working on the VN game in UE4, and would like to share the first progress, hope you don't mind :)
For about a week I worked on a feature for my characters called "Dynamic wrinkles", which shows\hide the wrinkles of the character automatically based on the current emotion realtime.
I'm also planning to release it to the UE4 marketplace in a week or two, it will support only CC3 characters at the first update. It can be used with DAZ too, but you will need your own wrinkles normal maps that correspond to the UV of your character.

UPD: Got disapproved from Epic Games, so unfortunately it won't be available on the marketplace. Since there is no other option, I will share it for free in the next day or two alongside the video tutorial on how to use it.

Please don't hesitate to let me know what do you think!

Last edited:

F1_V10

Apr 9, 2019
Awesome work dude! If you did this all by yourself kudos. It will definitely save a lot of posing when it comes to characters faces.

rainbowpunfz

Dec 4, 2017
Am i correct in guessing this is blending between normal maps based on the current pose? or am i way of? Pretty cool regardless.

Rell games

May 5, 2020
Am i correct in guessing this is blending between normal maps based on the current pose? or am i way of? Pretty cool regardless.
Yes, it is done using normal maps. In short, the system has a set of normal maps - forehead, laugh lines, eyebrow frown, lips, and eye wrinkles. Based on the current state of the face it is generating a single texture using all the textures from above, and then blending this texture with the face's normal map. The great thing is, that you can easily increase the strength of each individual region, so it can be easily adjusted for any character regardless of age.

Rell games

May 5, 2020
Did Epic tell you why they rejected the Asset?
yeah, the asset should be designed in the first place for UE4 characters (e.g from Paragon), they won't accept it if it works only for CC3. I didn't expect to get a lot of income from this asset anyway, so I'll just upload it on the Mega for free.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Cul

SimpleTimes

Jan 26, 2021
Hi, any update on this?

I'm about to start adding wrinkles in my game, and it would be a shame to start from scratch if not necessary ;)

Thanks in advance