Should I make a translation in my game or make a separete copy?

Darknerious

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2022
I speak spanish, and I usually use a translator to translate some words or sentences to english, so it really won't cost me anything to do a spanish version of my game. However i don't know if it is better to do a the translation inside my game, like player can choose between english or spanish. Or on the other hand, make a separate copy in spanish.

im doubting since I havent seen any renpy game with 2 or more languages to select in game, it is more common to see different copies in different languages, most made by fans or other people than the dev... I also don't want my translation complicate those people.... So Any advice on this?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
im doubting since I havent seen any renpy game with 2 or more languages to select in game, it is more common to see different copies in different languages, most made by fans or other people than the dev...
You haven't seen many Ren'Py games then. A game like The DeLuca Family have six (or more, don't remember for sure) in game translations. And many Ren'Py games coming from East Europe have a Russian (or another Slavic language) and English version embedded in the same game.

When the translation is separated, it's just because it's not done by/with the game author.

I also don't want my translation complicate those people.... So Any advice on this?
Hmm, , to discover that in-game translation imply no complication for the players. And also none for the author when he use the embedded feature instead on inventing some weird system like too many are doing.

Darknerious

Game Developer
Apr 19, 2022
yes i think i've seen a few russia/english... I just had a feeling that for some reason some players may not like having only 2 languages within the game since, if im not wrong, most popular games are only in english... but probably it is just my imagination, well if there is no problem i think i will do it.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
if im not wrong, most popular games are only in english...
Well, The DeLuca Family that I already named is one of the most popular, and not limited to English.

But the main reason behind the fact that most games are only in English is different and more simple. A least 30% of the authors are native English speakers, and therefore don't have a reason to add another language in their game. As for the rest, unless the know Russian, or are native French/Spanish speakers, less than 10% of the potential players will know their language. Therefore most of them directly make their game in English, thinking about possibly adding a translation in their own language later, but only if the game have enough success.

With Ren'Py it's not much works to add a translation, but it's still works. If it's just for a dozen of persons, better to use this time for something else.