Scenery that doesn't quite match

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
How do you feel if you see art styles in games that slightly clash? Main reason I'm asking is because my hunt for assets I need for Daz to make homes has been pretty uneventful so I'm considering just making houses on Sims 4 and then putting my Daz figures into them on an art program.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
While I'm a writer first, I always consider the art when I'm writing, and how it tells the story. As a result, if the art doesn't match with the overall aesthetic, it ruins the story. So, if you can manage to make your Daz models look like they belong in your Sims world, then fine. Do that. But remember, you're gonna do a lot of work that way.

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
While I'm a writer first, I always consider the art when I'm writing, and how it tells the story. As a result, if the art doesn't match with the overall aesthetic, it ruins the story. So, if you can manage to make your Daz models look like they belong in your Sims world, then fine. Do that. But remember, you're gonna do a lot of work that way.
Yeah that's the issue, they'd stand out a hell of a lot. I think there's some mods to make the graphics more realistic but for some reason last time I tried playing sims it didn't like the mods I had installed and wouldn't load so I can't play it with mods unless I find the conflicting mod(s)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah that's the issue, they'd stand out a hell of a lot.
Well, in this case it's probably not a good idea. This said, there's a lot of games which use one kind of asset for the background, and another kind for the characters. If it's just for the generic exterior background, why not using free photography ? There's many games doing like this, and it doesn't feel too wrong. If it's well done, it even feel right.
You can also take a look , perhaps you'll find the Daz assets of your dream.

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
Well, in this case it's probably not a good idea. This said, there's a lot of games which use one kind of asset for the background, and another kind for the characters. If it's just for the generic exterior background, why not using free photography ? There's many games doing like this, and it doesn't feel too wrong. If it's well done, it even feel right.
You can also take a look , perhaps you'll find the Daz assets of your dream.
Scrolled through asset releases, the specific assets I need don't seem to exist anywhere on the internet

Göffel

Mar 4, 2018
how do I feel about it? well, me mere player I am used to it in some ways, does not bother me too much.
Maybe also because I come from not expecting a game made by amateur/ semi-pro/ indie to look, behave and feel like some 500 million $$ AAA title.

So I am not sure you need to sweat too much over it, as long as your game has sufficient other quality to keep readers/ players interested.
because I think it would be extremely time-consuming building everything again that is already there but not in that very style/ level of definition/ etc. that you would want.

You know these anime that very noticeably combine(d) 3dcg for architecture, vehicles, and then some with 2dcg for characters ?
Initially these style/ technique clashes have an alienating effect, even repulsing sometimes. But whenever the story and characters and narration were interesting enough, audience would stick with it and soon (more or less) get used to the clash of styles/ techniques and then just enjoy the show. (eg. Vandread season1)

But if you enjoy building objects, architecture, scenery, ... well, then ofc. go for it.

----------

ps - might help with feedback if you posted example screenshots?

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
how do I feel about it? well, me mere player I am used to it in some ways, does not bother me too much.
Maybe also because I come from not expecting a game made by amateur/ semi-pro/ indie to look, behave and feel like some 500 million $$ AAA title.

So I am not sure you need to sweat too much over it, as long as your game has sufficient other quality to keep readers/ players interested.
because I think it would be extremely time-consuming building everything again that is already there but not in that very style/ level of definition/ etc. that you would want.

You know these anime that very noticeably combine(d) 3dcg for architecture, vehicles, and then some with 2dcg for characters ?
Initially these style/ technique clashes have an alienating effect, even repulsing sometimes. But whenever the story and characters and narration were interesting enough, audience would stick with it and soon (more or less) get used to the clash of styles/ techniques and then just enjoy the show. (eg. Vandread season1)

But if you enjoy building objects, architecture, scenery, ... well, then ofc. go for it.

----------

ps - might help with feedback if you posted example screenshots?
I'd have to make mockup screenshots as I've not made the scenery yet, I just thought it might break the immersion for some people as some of the scenes will be Iray stuff and some will be Sims 4.