Daz Saving models

smallparrot53

May 28, 2020
I have a question about Daz. Once I made models, how do I save them for future use? I mean, in which format and stuff? Or do I just save it as a scene or something?

JJsworld

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2018
I always save as a scene. You can always go back and load the character again and with the clothes...

Reactions: cynsynsin

smallparrot53

May 28, 2020
So you import it into new environment? Sorry about so many question, I started learning few days ago. I have to process lot of information. lol

xAsurax

Jul 21, 2017
if you just want to save a character than do this save character will be inside the save file preset in smart library.

hardwire666

Apr 12, 2018
You can also do File > Save As > Scene Subset. It's like saving a scene, just lets you choose exactly what gets saved.

I do this and then save any clothing as a wearable preset. Works pretty good. For me that is. As always results may very and so on and so forth, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

• Red Heart
Reactions: ABaaaadIdea

ABaaaadIdea

Aug 7, 2018
Agree with hardwire666 - I've got tons of characters half-finished etc, and I save multiple instances as sub-scenes so I can go back to early versions, combine characters together, or finalize and save out as presets once they're finished

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020
As I understand it the main reason to do it is to save drive space.
If you have a scene with fit control and mesh grabber those files get pretty huge.
But if you get it wrong you lose content.
My solution was to buy a cheap 2Tb external hard drive and save it all over there.
Clunky and inelegant but I know I've still got it all.

mimininos

Oct 4, 2018
You can File --> Save as -- > Scene subset. It will ask you which objects in your scene you want to save as a scene subset. You check mark your character and its wearables, hairs...etc and uncheck all other objects in your scene. When you want to bring that character into a new scene, you can File --> Merge and select the scene subset (which includes the character in this particular example.) you saved.

As hardwire666 and JJsworld mentioned, the difference between saving as character preset vs saving as scene subset is that in saving as character preset, you can't save wearables and/or hairs. This method only saves your character's materials and shaping preset.

Reactions: JJsworld