Ren'Py - Completed - Sanguine Rose [v4.1] [DuskyHallows]

1. 5.00 star(s)

slutseekerm

everything about this game is a masterpiece. the villain is very masterful at manipulation. it's one of the few AVNs that makes the characters feel real and not just hollow shells meant to be fucked. i would recommend it for people that love to read erotic novels because it feels very reminiscent of them.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Wearperson

Excellent character writing where the villain really feels unpredictable and like she's toying with you personally.

Also extremely hot, with the different girls appealing in their own ways. Both the writing and illustration add to the experience.

Very short game but with several very different playthroughs that branch early so I do recommend going back several times.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

ZombieSodomy

I honestly hate this game. The art is amazing, the scenario is compelling, but ultimately it's a game about making decisions that consistently refuses to let you make good decisions. I keep finding myself drawn into the game of cat and mouse with carmen, but no matter what choices I make, eventually the game will force me to do something idiotic and the entire experience crumbles down. I fucking hate this game because I want to love it so much, but all that potential just keeps falling apart in front of me the more I play.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

kool212

Story got me hooked. Worldbuilding was great. A perfect villain that you loved to hate. Sex scenes felt more natural than most games. Not a high bar, but still worth mentioning. There are a few endings with variations, each are pretty different but the path to get there isn't super divergent. Really only a handful of choices lead you along. Short game so I think it's not a problem.

For the most part, the art was fantastic. There were a few times where it looked early draft or just incomplete though. For the most part it was VN standard, but there are two sections where you have to click on character, once at the very beginning and halfway through the game. I'm not sure why they could not have been just dialogue options. They tried to do some parallax scrolling for these sections and it really did a disservice to the art. Nitpicky, but for a game this short it really doesn't need extra frills that add nothing.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

anon670-1

LOVE THIS GAME. ONE OF THE FIRST GAMES I STUMBLED ACROSS. HIGHLY RECCOMEND FOR EVERYONE TO CHECK IT OUT. I'M VERY EXCITED AND CAN'T WAIT FOR THEIR NEW PROJECT TO COME OUT SO THAT I CAN PLAY THAT ONE AS WELL!
  6. 4.00 star(s)

KiRA (Nahid)

the game is rich in content. The artwork and story were very good. there are many endings and the slight decisions can change the whole game. I would definitely recommend using a walkthrough to get all the scenes and ending. I really liked the game and deffinitly would recommend it to others. great work developers and keep up the good work.
  7. 4.00 star(s)

DenimRat

Gameplay: A “choose between two options” visual novel. However, there are a few moments when it suddenly change to a point and clicker. This would be great if there was some kind of reason to do so, but all of those scenes could have just used the regular mechanics just as easily. Uniqueness just for the sake of uniqueness isn’t good game design.

Writing: Pretty good, many ending variations.

Art: Good stylized 2d.

Audio: Occasional sound effects and music.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

Dónaill

short but really good, lots of replayability although I feel happy with my ending, very nice art and multi-layered dialogues. I felt this story just started rolling when I reached the end but since its an incredible amount of work I can understand why it has to end where it does
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Phallos

Amazing game. At first I thought it was abit short, until I started exploring the other choices you get. For once, the choices actually matter. Great sex scenes, great story, amazing artwork. Cant wait to see what this developer comes with next.
  10. 3.00 star(s)

wiwem71072

My review of Sanguine Rose [v4.1]

A pretty short and mediocre game.

Good
    Cute looking female characters.
    Decent background music.
    Multiple endings.

Bad
    Can't rename MC or hide textbox background without mods.
    There is very little artwork... it feels like maybe 10 character sprites and 10-20 hand-drawn images. About 1/3 of the backgrounds are just 3D scene screenshots + filters and some hand-drawn parts.
    Most of the game is just pretty verbose text and writing is just average.
    Your choices also don't really matter except for 1 choice at the beginning and 1 at the end (resulting in the 4 different endings).
    edit: According to the developer there are also a few hidden endings that require specific choices to unlock.
    And just as you feel the adventure finally begins (about 2 hours) the game is already over.

TLDR: Wouldn't recommend even if you like female orcs. Feels like playing an abandoned early alpha with rushed endings.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Lallapalooza

What a masterpiece, I really got into the game. Drawing are amazing, the ambiance is immersive, you choose the kinks you want by choosing what you are doing. And the story is nice aswell ! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who read this
  12. 3.00 star(s)

accountant2992

i really enjoyed the art
    but i hated that the game is story heavy but i guess there is people that enjoy that
    i enjoy more the sex scenes and they felt few and far in between
    i liked carmen so much then crow for sure
  13. 4.00 star(s)

camdanryeker

Overall, this is a great game. The story is well told and your choices do have consequences in how things play out. The Art is definitely much higher quality than what you'd see in your average game. Also important in my opinion is the fact that it is consistent.

My main gripe is that there is a lack of certain scenes with certain characters, and to the dev's credit he does admit this. Overall, I give it a 4.5/5.
  14. 3.00 star(s)

KingWeWuz

I hate to do this but I can't give this a higher score. I'd go so far as to say my personal experience with this is 2/5.

The second biggest issue with this story is the main cast themselves. The biggest issue, however, is carmen.

This is not a "helpless girl you kidnapped and is at your mercy" game. This is not a "stockholm syndrome" game. This is kidnapping a female James Bond game.

She might actually have the title of Queen of the mary sues for this site. She's got the body of a 18 year old, a legendary commander in battle, keeps her cool under any circumstance, and is a master manipulator.

The main cast is just laughable idiots by comparison. Crow is the main love interest of the main character. She's got a submissive personality and the rest of the gang encourage you to go for her. So what happens? You let your most loyal member of the gang watch over Carmen for one-two days before she completely betrays you and becomes Carmen's sex slave. Check out the preview pics for this game.

Are you guys registering this? The main cast is so laughably dumb they decide not to gag the captive, instead allow the captive to have private conversations with each individual. Keep in mind, this is a politically connected war genius. The only real question was how did the mc actually manage to kidnap and bind her?

If you rape her she'll laugh at you and talk about killing you. She didn't even care when a dozen orc pirates raped her. It doesn't matter. She can't be broken, but every member of your team including you can.

Unless you follow a guide you're probably not gonna convince the people who respect you into staying loyal to you.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Overall I would not recommend this game because, although the politics and art is good, the segment we get to enjoy from the world is not. The writing requires characters to make dumb decisions and become puppets for Carmen to control.
  15. 2.00 star(s)

sixfour

A lackluster game that boasts player agency yet falls short when it really matters. The choices presented are arbitrary and leads to the same path. The art is well done and it's use of colors are also well done in an industry that likes to use over-saturated rainbow colors, it is honestly satisfying to see such art being used in modern times/games. The OST was also good and I thought it fitted the world and it's setting well.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Machete

What a great game!

I had been avoiding it because it looked "different" and i was sceptical about an approach with more traditional art that limits, can't be otherwise, the number of panels available for the game.

That proved to be unwise of me. This game was, indeed, a great surprise. Not that i didn't suspect it was good. I mean, the art is just gorgeous, with a lot of stile and great character design, so it couldn't be so bad if so much care had gone to the artwork. But it's good just under every expect. Good story, good characters development, clearly distinct paths, a nice cocept, working interpersonal relationship among the characters, satisfing outcomes.

True, it's a very short game for the genre standards (artworks of this kind take time and you can't just "move the model a bit") and it feels like there is so much to learn about the world building and you are stuck in an very aristotelean unities scenario, but it works perfectly non the less, because the story is well written and concieved and it does the right job for the given environment.

I hadn't check if there is more in the same setting, but i'll sure check if that so right away.
  17. 2.00 star(s)

Dropbare

The prologue where Carmen is the prisoner is incredibly dim and lets this title down. Insanely unrealistic and forcing the captors to be braindead for the sake for forcing plot and forcing the story to move. The VN should have started after this scene--where Carmen is in control. It's so bad that it is not even laughable.

Walkthrough is poorly written. Endings are quite samey and overall poor. The 'gem'(hint) system is just bait to funnel and trap you into the worst ends.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

spamscript

Short but sweet. I could ask no more for the artstyle. It's obviously pretty good. The story was also above average with multiple endings. Liked the setting, liked the girls. What more can you ask for?
  19. 4.00 star(s)

XyzxYzxyZ

This game is definitely not what I expected. Dark and twisty with a lot of power play. The story and writing is amazing though playing with psychology and such. The only thing i dislike is too much dialogues but not enough pictures.
  20. 4.00 star(s)

Nizko

Superb art and really hot scenes. More games should follow this example. Just wish the whole thing was longer with more scenes included, as it leaves you wanting more :) Feels somewhat short tbh.

Interactions were interesting and my 3 favorite characters were Roman, Crow, and Carmen Valentine.