Ryzen or intel

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
ryzen with atleast 2x palit 1070 jetstream's in sli
intel make you smell like vaseline

AMD's have always been better at floating point math too, which is why they used to be able to keep up with slower clock speed's and bigger die sizes, and why they are the super computer choice

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Oh, I think I have a beast rig? I think the CPU just happens to be the oldest thing I have (not including a lack of M.2 memory drives). I haz a Zen class battle rig, sub 23dB operation (23dB is the sound of a silent room aka natural static or thermal noise). All Bequiet! cooling, their silent wings 3, dark Rock 3 tower cooler, 650 watt Dark power pro 11, all black and gray, custom sleeved cables, with a MSI gaming X Trio 1080ti. the cpu is an i7-4790k devil's canyon with 16 gigs of ram. as far as I know 4th gen is still competitive in clock speeds (overclocked to 4.6 idle and 4.7 boost) since everyone kinda hit the 5ghz limit in 2013 due to hitting the thermal voltage limit for cmos technology. the issue is, I do not have a job, I am a full-time student and have scholarships that kinda prevent me from working on the side. So I only have money after getting a refund for buying books, and I tend to by books. Also, a g-sync 1440p 165hz monitor for gaming with color correction properties, cost more than half my system at nearly $1400, and yet a few years ago my friends were able to start getting 4k monitors at lower prices. g-sync really adds, but I hear nvidea may be supporting free sync in the future.

badsantagirl

Apr 22, 2018
I never trusted AMD's cpus, people usually said that they lose transistors over time, that the processing power decrease over time.
How can a CPU lose any transistors? Honestly these are integrated circuits, the hardware will not work anymore, if only one transistor can't turn on/off. The current can't turn back, if the route is "closed". These peoples didn't learn basic physics in the school? :)

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
How can a CPU lose any transistors? Honestly these are integrated circuits, the hardware will not work anymore, if only one transistor can't turn on/off. The current can't turn back, if the route is "closed". These peoples didn't learn basic physics in the school? :)
they just run hotter, and throttle themselve's, but all you need is an AIO, the best of which, are either of these depending on your case:

the 140mm fan's destroy all other cooler's for the price using 120mm

run a stable 8300fx at 4.8GHZ at 55c in any weather, even if the ambient temperature is 35c, under full load the CPU might reach 75c

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
I doubt that common folks would understand cpu architecture, but probably I mentioned wrongly the word transistor, there is been so many years. However a single AMD K10 from 2008 had 758,000,000 transistors, I am led to believe that there is some kind of redundancy that prevents a single transistor condemn the entire chip.

If it was a hoax from Intel it worked for years! But Ryzen is really good, I'm using since september 2017, no issues so far

badsantagirl

Apr 22, 2018
they just run hotter, and throttle themselve's, but all you need is an AIO, the best of which, are either of these depending on your case:

the 140mm fan's destroy all other cooler's for the price using 120mm

run a stable 8300fx at 4.8GHZ at 55c in any weather, even if the ambient temperature is 35c, under full load the CPU might reach 75c
You are using an FX, which is a very-very old design. Use a Ryzen!

Also pay attention that Ryzen don't allow the softwares to read the thermal values. The platform will provide a simulated value from the BIOS. The chip works very differently compared to a DVFS system like your FX CPU or any Intel. It has 20 thermal diodes and ~1300 path monitors. These will create a full thermal map, and this allows a fine grained P-state model. The other CPUs only have four P-state, and this is the reason why they throttle, because the frequency scaling is very limited. Ryzen has a P-state at every 25 MHz, so the CPU can change the voltage in a fine grained level, which will prevent throttling, and allows the chip to automatically overclock itself, even if you use the default settings.

badsantagirl

Apr 22, 2018
I doubt that common folks would understand cpu architecture, but probably I mentioned wrongly the word transistor, there is been so many years. However a single AMD K10 from 2008 had 758,000,000 transistors, I am led to believe that there is some kind of redundancy that prevents a single transistor condemn the entire chip.

If it was a hoax from Intel it worked for years! But Ryzen is really good, I'm using since september 2017, no issues so far
Every ~modern CPU has redundancy. But they use it for manufacturing. If an ALU has some faulty transistors and if there is a redundant circuit to replace the main path, than the engineers will load some secondary paramater to the main ROM. This will allow to use the redundant circuit. But when the chip comes out from the factory, these values cannot be changed, it is physically impossible. So if only one transistor will "die", than the CPU won't work anymore.

Now normally it is highly unlikely that a transistor won't work in a CPU. If a CPU will die, than it is 99.99% that not the chip died, but the microbumps which are connects the silicon and the package.
The most common problems inside a silicon are clock jitters and clock skews. But these will just lead instability, and can be corrected with underclocking.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
You are using an FX, which is a very-very old design. Use a Ryzen!

Also pay attention that Ryzen don't allow the softwares to read the thermal values. The platform will provide a simulated value from the BIOS. The chip works very differently compared to a DVFS system like your FX CPU or any Intel. It has 20 thermal diodes and ~1300 path monitors. These will create a full thermal map, and this allows a fine grained P-state model. The other CPUs only have four P-state, and this is the reason why they throttle, because the frequency scaling is very limited. Ryzen has a P-state at every 25 MHz, so the CPU can change the voltage in a fine grained level, which will prevent throttling, and allows the chip to automatically overclock itself, even if you use the default settings.
my FX is fast enough until i build me a threadripper.

AMD's CPU's throttle like most CPU's with an intelligent design when they are close to the maximum TDP, which is normally hotter then intel, which does'nt work to well if you live in a hot country like austrailia, where alot of people end up having to underclock CPU's and GPU's, but that is a thing of the past if your willing to spend the money on a liquid AIO cooler

for the price, the thermaltakes work fine, if you over clock, you need the dual. ot was 35c on my thermometer on the wall last year, and my PC did'nt shut down once, you just need to set it up as an exhaust, and have some 2mm minimum neoprene washers inbetween the case and reservoir