Ryzen or intel

Sep 8, 2016
I am building a new PC for daz3d and I ams asking which is the best CPU for daz3d. I am going to render using a GPU and the CPU is for the other works. The ryzen have better cores and cheaper than the intel CPUs.

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
I'm not sure about daz, but I don't think the 'type' of CPU makes a difference, the CPU only comes into play when you go over your graphics card memory size. With that I would honestly go AMD, at newegg.com right now you can get a 2700 for $230, compared to a 9900k for $529. That isn't even a decision to me, over twice the price for around 30% to 35% speed improvement, and if you overclock it to the speed of the 2700x, it cuts the difference down to 20% to 25%. This is the best value to me, but it is up to you ultimately.
Here is a link so you can compare the CPUs:

Reactions: Deleted member 3521

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
As far as I can tell, the only advantage Intel still has is they still have the highest clock per core, which only really helps for single-core operations, such as video games. I am not sure if Daz is multi-core supported. I know blender, while it renders on the GPU it will still use the CPU to handle other tasks (such as the User interface, I am not sure if Physics simulations are done on the GPU or CPU or if Daz operates on similar principles). Considering you are making a computer for daz, I would say either saving money by going AMD for the same core count, or going AMD just to get more cores may be best if you intend to make a work station, where you could be seriously multitasking or video rendering. I know I like to watch a steam on one monitor while watching star trek on another while also working. I have an Intel just because I haven't upgraded in a while and I like to game at peak performance, but AMD is more than fast enough for gaming so unless you are making a gaming-focused build, AMD will have what ya need.

xslayermkdx

Jun 4, 2017
Ryzen its one of the series of AMD by the way and i think i will go for intel, i don't have the best experience with AMD i mean its fine but intel its more favored and kinda have better cache i heard and from what i've read, and i also think its more compatible with NVIDIA which its kinda more used graphic card! Also more compatible with Psych X i think so if i go i will go with Intel!

sifilis

Apr 27, 2017
Get an Intel only if you have money to waste. AMD currently has a huge lead in performance/value.

Sep 8, 2016
What about the use of daz3d viewport and uploading characters' time?? does the CPU matters with 16GB of Ram??? or depends on the other components???

badsantagirl

Apr 22, 2018
I am building a new PC for daz3d and I ams asking which is the best CPU for daz3d. I am going to render using a GPU and the CPU is for the other works. The ryzen have better cores and cheaper than the intel CPUs.
The Ryzen Threadripper 1920X has an increadible value, but there will be a 12-core Ryzen for Socket AM4 this year. I would probably wait for it, or buy a cheaper Ryzen 1000/2000, and upgrade to Ryzen 3000 later. For PCI Express 4.0 you need to wait for the X570 motherboards (coming around early summer), but Ryzen 3000 will support this new standard, and this will be a 7 nm product. I have heard that they will start an 8-core version in summer, and the 12-core will come around october, while the 16-core version will be an early 2020 product.

For Intel you should wait for desktop Ice Lake, which will come around late 2020. Until then you can just buy the same old Skylake architecture on 14 nm, just with new model numbers. The desktop Ice Lake will have 8 cores, but in 2021 Intel will also start producing new gen CPUs with PCI Express 4.0 and more than 8 cores.

For ultimate performance there will be a new platform in august. It's called Castle Peak, and it will allow you to buy a 64-core Threadripper, with 60 PCI Express 4.0 lanes, but it won't be cheap. :)

Xorgroth

Modder
Oct 12, 2017
This really depends on your budget on which one you'll go for. AMD Ryzen series have really good low price and performance but if you have quite a bit to spend then going the Intel route is probably best. AMD CPUs always run hotter than Intel CPUs so you'll probably need some good cooling options for AMD but I noticed in my last PC upgrade that most of the Intel based stuff was always more expensive.

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
Unless you're planning on heading for a hackintosh, take an AMD. The intels are horribly expensive for performances that are finally getting weaker and weaker. With today's NVidia cards, PCIe channels are becoming more important than in the past. It's hard to find an Intel with more than 24 lanes........ Or else, you'll have to move towards really and stupidly expensive Intel.
Afterwards, the model you choose will depend mainly on your finances, but focus on RAM. 16GB will be really very limited to be comfortable.

And if DAZ doesn't necessarily need a big CPU and a lot of memory to render (if your GPU and VRAM is enough), don't forget that before the render there is the whole scene creation ;)

badsantagirl

Apr 22, 2018
This really depends on your budget on which one you'll go for. AMD Ryzen series have really good low price and performance but if you have quite a bit to spend then going the Intel route is probably best. AMD CPUs always run hotter than Intel CPUs so you'll probably need some good cooling options for AMD but I noticed in my last PC upgrade that most of the Intel based stuff was always more expensive.
Nope. Intel is much more hotter nowadays. The new AMD CPUs don't even have a thermal diode, the BIOS simulates that data on a desktop system, and this what the softwares reads out. AMD is now working with thremal map, because they not using the very old DVFS parametering. Ryzen is full AVFS now.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I've paired a Ryzen 2400G (with integrated Vega 11 graphics) with a 1080 Ti. The 2400G only has 4 cores/8 threads, but it does have integrated Vega 11 graphics.

I'm using the Vega 11 graphics to drive a 4K monitor. The refresh rate is set at 29 MHz, which for FPS gaming could be an issue, but for driving the Daz viewport is quite sufficient. If I was worried about frame rates, i'd just hook up the monitor to the 1080 Ti... but since my gaming is primarily focused on 'turn based' titles, i.e. games I can come back to after setting up the next render, it's a non-issue for me.

The biggest issue you'll have with a Ryzen setup is if you eventually plan to buy additional GPUs. The 28 'available' PCIe lanes get gobbled up fairly quickly with things like NVME drives and such, so more than 2 graphics cards probably isn't happening, at least with current gen Ryzens.

Intel CPUs may also be restricted a bit PCIe lane wise, it depends on which CPU/Mobo combo you grab. With Daz Studio, though, using multiple Nvidia GPUs does help/will roughly halve/third/quarter your render times. IF the CPU/Mobo combo can accomodate multiple GPU cards that is.

Now Threadripper, on the other hand, well 3 GPUs is no big deal, 4 even with the right motherboard choice. Even if you buy the low end Threadripper version (the one with 8 cores), you still get 64 PCIe lanes. Of course, you'd have to use one of your PCIe slot GPUs to drive the monitor.

As for system memory, 32GB is probably your 'ideal' target. Anything over 32GB tends to be overkill, at least for Daz, but of course if you can afford more than 32 GB, well nothing wrong with that.

As for CPU core counts, well this does come into play if you ever have an Iray render go CPU only. Which is why so many of us have jumped on the 1080 Ti bandwagon (11 GB of VRAM). There are Nvidia cards with even more VRAM than the 1080/2080 Ti, but they are generally pricey... not that the 1080/2080 Ti cards are all that cheap to begin with, but spending north of $2000 US on a graphics card is simply too expensive for most people's budgets. Plus, multiple Ti cards may be faster than a 'single' pro card, which muddies the water further.

Anyways, back to your question. Yeah, Ryzen does just fine with Daz, so if you are doing Iray renders, don't feel bad about buying one if it's cheaper than the Intel option. But if you are planning on picking up a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe even a fourth GPU down the road, yeah pay attention to your PCIe lanes and available slots that can fit a x16 card (even if the slots are running at 'just' x8, which is perfectly fine for rendering).

BUT, if you are going the 3Delight route instead of Iray, yeah THEN your CPU core counts and core speeds will be a big issue. Most Daz product designers have embraced Iray though. 3Delight support has been waning a bit of late. Sure, you can set things up for 3Delight yourself, but that's another issue...

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
@OhWee You might be able to answer this post since I know your upgrading to some newer cards, do you know if CPU matters for things such as the Daz view port?

I know in Blender, the GPU can be used for the view port, and if say you have a weak card or there is way to much data in the scene and the GPU runs out of data, you have to swap to CPU render since it will usually have more ram and can expand ram storage to the slower harddrive if it is really to big a scene.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@OhWee You might be able to answer this post since I know your upgrading to some newer cards, do you know if CPU matters for things such as the Daz view port?

I know in Blender, the GPU can be used for the view port, and if say you have a weak card or there is way to much data in the scene and the GPU runs out of data, you have to swap to CPU render since it will usually have more ram and can expand ram storage to the slower harddrive if it is really to big a scene.

---

wow, talk about timing, I guess never mind my comment then
One other note. If the Ryzen CPU you are looking at includes a cooler (most do), the 'stock' AMD coolers are actually more than adequate for the job. Sure, there are aftermarket coolers that are better, and if you are looking at water cooling, well that helps a lot, but the Wraith coolers are decent coolers.

I mention this, because if you are looking at Intel options, you may also need to factor in the cost of a CPU cooler on top of the CPU.

If you are looking at water cooling, then you'll be buying a cooler either way, but if you are 'just' air cooling, yeah this is another thing that makes a Ryzen purchase look more compelling.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
I never trusted AMD's cpus, people usually said that they lose transistors over time, that the processing power decrease over time. However I felt a game change with the Ryzen series. I went for a Ryzen 7 1700 some years ago and I'm happy with so far. The stock cooler never let me down.

The only disadvantage is that they don't have any graphic engine. Don't know how the APUs are doing, but they lose half of the cores to include graphics. With Intel you can plug the monitor on the onboard gpu and use your card for render only, with AMD you will necessarily share ther render and OS consumption.

Ryzen 2700x Vs Intel i9 9900k. i9 power is much higher specially on single thread and the energy consumption is lower 95w x 105w. In the other hand is much more expensive $529.99 x $309.99, hand have less pcie lanes 16 x 24. You can add a 1050ti for $169.99 on 2700x side and it would still be more cheaper.

Intel have a problem with the number of pcie lanes, on the past generations, even the high end models had only 16 lanes, they seem to be improving this just in this generation, but nothing comes close to the 64 lanes from threadripper, but they are really expensive. You go that high, take a look on his professional brother. One EPYC 7281 16-Core costs $679,99 on Newegg, two would be $ 1,359.98, while one Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core costs $1,729.99. Computing the mobo price, you will probably have a tie, however the EPYC give you 128 pcie lanes per cpu.

At end, consider the mobo prices:
AM4 x370 (Ryzen) around $119.99
1151 z390 (Intel) around $114.99
sTR4 x399 (Threadripper) around $249.99
SP3 Dual (EPYC) around $649.99

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@MaxCarna and everyone.

For reference, the 8 core Threadripper I mentioned (1900x) is currently listing for $319.99 on Newegg. The 12 core one (1920x) is around $436, and the 2920x (Threadripper+) is around $650. For Iray renders with Nvidia cards, these cheaper Threadripper processors are suitably priced for someone looking for an 'entry' system that still has quad channel memory and 60 available PCIe lanes (chipset uses the other 4 lanes).

I'm rather happy with my 2400G Ryzen processor (it's an AMD quad core/8 thread processor with integrated Vega 11 graphics), but of course these days people like more cores. I am curious to see if we'll get an 8 core APU with the 7nm Ryzens later this year.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I have considered upgrading, but considering I am on a 4th gen i7, I would need to upgrade my motherboard, and ram as well to have everything that works together (DDR3 to DDR4, and a chipset to support the new CPU), which are also additional costs to consider! I have yet to upgrade in a few years now.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I have considered upgrading, but considering I am on a 4th gen i7, I would need to upgrade my motherboard, and ram as well to have everything that works together (DDR3 to DDR4, and a chipset to support the new CPU), which are also additional costs to consider! I have yet to upgrade in a few years now.
Yeah, sounds like you may be saving your pennies for when you can afford the next upgrade.

My current build ended up over $2K (the Nvidia card was almost half of that), with the case, power supply, mobo, CPU, ram, and HDD, oh and the 4K monitor. I could have shaved some off of that cost by going with cheaper components, but in my case I wanted to build a decent HTPC to put in my entertainment system later on, after the 7nm Ryzen/Threadripper options drop later this year.

In your case, it might be worth checking to see if you could just get away with a new Nvidia card for now. If you could squeeze in a GTX 1070 (8 GB), or maybe a 6 GB version of the GTX 1060, that could tide you over for a while, assuming you have enough storage space for your Daz stuff.