RX 2080 Ti Crashing

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
In terms of Iray render engine, the cuda cores take care of rendering process, but you need enough VRAM for the scene to load into it, if not the scene will be rendered with CPU intead of GPU.

For example today I rendered a scene with 7 characters occupying 10GB of VRAM memory, my 1080Ti took care of the rendering while my 1060 with its insufficient 6GB for this task was not working on it.

So the amount of VRAM memory is one of the most important things to keep in mind when you want to render on Iray.
i would ask for a refund from the daz store first, and buy all the morph packs and make my own charectors using the G8 base model, to go with making your own buildings in freecad or simple rooms in pCon planner

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
If you can tell me how?

Here are test with and without SLI:
On that page, I think that you wanted to focus on this post specifically:

The poster notes that enabling SLI actually increases render times slightly. Also, note that he's using 2080 Ti's with an NV Link, hence my comment before r.e. that I wasn't sure which 20xx cards supported NV link. The 2080 Ti's can (if implemented), not sure about the lesser cards.

People have also reported more 'render fails' with SLI enabled, in various posts on the Daz forum over the years, hence the recommendation to just not use SLI when rendering (that's not my recommendation, that comes from various Daz gurus over at the Daz forum). Those 'crashing issues' may or may not have been ironed out by now, but you'll still have slightly increased render times...

Do keep in mind that if you are doing CPU + GPU renders, that the CPU ALSO needs to reserve a block of memory for the scene, just like the cuda cards do with their VRAM. So in this instance, damn straight your system ram usage will go up. But of course, if you leave CPU unchecked in the render options, you'll generally find that your system is a bit more responsive, as the CPU isn't focused on crunching a render... unless your render drops to CPU only of course!

Also, the system may set aside ram anyways for the scene, in anticipation of a potential 'CPU only' render situation (i.e. not have to recompute the scene from scratch if there's not enough VRAM). That's just speculation on my part though, others can confirm or otherwise clarify if that is indeed the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porcus Dev
S

SteelRazer

Also, the system may set aside ram anyways for the scene, in anticipation of a potential 'CPU only' render situation (i.e. not have to recompute the scene from scratch if there's not enough VRAM). That's just speculation on my part though, others can confirm or otherwise clarify if that is indeed the case.
Daz and iray during shader compiling stores everything into RAM, all textures, geometry etc... uncompressed. Then it passes at least textures compressed into memory. And everything is cashed in VRAM and RAM during whole render until it's done or interrupted. RAM itself can be compressed separately, not affecting VRAM. Iray has conditions if you are using gpu and VRAM is insufficient it will fallback to cpu. Pascal is first to be able to pool memory, not just VRAM but VRAM and RAM, but it needs to be programmed with at least CUDA 8, it all depends on where the kernel is stored or used from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
On that page, I think that you wanted to focus on this post specifically:

The poster notes that enabling SLI actually increases render times slightly. Also, note that he's using 2080 Ti's with an SLI link, hence my comment before r.e. that I wasn't sure which 20xx cards supported NV link. The 2080 Ti's can (if implemented), not sure about the lesser cards.

People have also reported more 'render fails' with SLI enabled, in various posts on the Daz forum over the years, hence the recommendation to just not use SLI when rendering (that's not my recommendation, that comes from various Daz gurus over at the Daz forum). Those 'crashing issues' may or may not have been ironed out by now, but you'll still have slightly increased render times...

Do keep in mind that if you are doing CPU + GPU renders, that the CPU ALSO needs to reserve a block of memory for the scene, just like the cuda cards do with their VRAM. So in this instance, damn straight your system ram usage will go up. But of course, if you leave CPU unchecked in the render options, you'll generally find that your system is a bit more responsive, as the CPU isn't focused on crunching a render... unless your render drops to CPU only of course!

Yes, I don't even have the SLI cable connected.
And I have CPU unchecked in Advanced Render Setting because that way I can continue working in other things while DAZ is rendering (like Premiere, Photoshop, Renpy, etc...) without the computer going slow.

Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Yes, I don't even have the SLI cable connected.
And I have CPU unchecked in Advanced Render Setting because that way I can continue working in other things while DAZ is rendering (like Premiere, Photoshop, Renpy, etc...) without the computer going slow.
I meant to say NVLink (not SLI Link) in my first paragraph, not SLI link. I fixed my post.

Just making sure I was clear, for others reading my post. You understood what I meant, of course!

Last edited:
Reactions: Porcus Dev

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
on topic:
Nvidia has offically confirmed problems. source:
Limited test escapes from early boards caused the issues some customers have experienced with RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition.

We stand ready to help any customers who are experiencing problems.

Please visit to chat live with the NVIDIA tech support team (or to send us an email) and we’ll take care of it.