• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HTML [RPGMV] How to play an RPGMV game on Linux

Kuro-Crestia

Sep 16, 2023
Hey there, Kuro tip has arrived!
If you are a Linux user, you probably struggled with playing RPG Maker games on your system, RPGMV games, to be exact. Worry not, for I suffered the exact same problem and have come to your aid to solve it!
How to play?
First of all, discard all thoughts regarding emulators, helpers like Wine, etc. Just forget they exist for a moment. Those methods never worked for me, outside of a VM or dual-booting, so let's assume they didn't for you too since you're here.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Without further ado, let's get this show on the road!
  1. Download XAMPP
    to be redirected to their home page. Make sure you install it, and make sure it can be started without any issues! Follow the various tutorials you will find online to get it up and running.
  2. Locate the folder named
    This will be the folder in which all your games will be going in, the RPGMV games. The game should have an index.html file in a location like
    [FOLDER_NAME_HERE]/www/index.html
    If such a file exists, continue reading. If it doesn't, stop here. The tutorial isn't for you.
  3. Place your game in the htdocs folder.
    In the htdocs folder, copy/move your game to that directory. The folder structure should now be
    htdocs/[GAME_FOLDER_NAME]/[Game executable]
    But remember, the index.html file in in the www folder, right? Don't worry about that.
  4. What you want to do now is start your XAMPP server.
    In Arch Linux, go to terminal and run xampp start in sudo. Everyone else, the Internet has many tutorials for XAMPP. When you do so, successfully, you should note that htdocs now registers as localhost. Don't believe me? Go to your browser and type localhost and click enter. You will find a page written "Welcome to XAMPP" as the title and so on.
  5. Navigate to your game
    Since htdocs is now localhost, things become easier. Enter the path of your game into the browser, using localhost as the starting point. For example, if your folder structure was
    .../htdocs/Geezer Hero RPG/www/
    in your browser, change it to
    localhost/Geezer Hero RPG/www/
    No need to include the index.html file, as that'll sort itself out. You shouldn't encounter any errors that require Actors.json and the like, or a permanent "Now Loading" screen from trying out Wine.
And from there, happy gaming! Don't forget to get rid of your browsing activity ;)

Kuro-Crestia

Sep 16, 2023
Something important to note is that all saves are handled in-browser, so if you want to edit a save, or share a save, you will have to go through a bit of a hassle regarding the conversion of data, editing files, etc. I'm too lazy to explain, so maybe another time?

Kuro-Crestia

Sep 16, 2023
Windows users shouldn't have a problem with the executable files, so their saves will be okay, Mac users... sorry, I don't really care for Apple, as it confuses me. If you do manage to get XAMPP on your device though, you can start at Step 2.

Kuro-Crestia

Sep 16, 2023
Just to be clear, this method did work for me, however full-screen would be an entirely different nut to crack, and I don't know how.
1698869620039.png
Also, don't worry about exiting the browser/restarting your device. You can come back and resume it later, all your CGs are kept as well. I use Firefox though, so not sure about other browsers.