Tool RPGM Ren'Py rpgm2renpy - A RPGMaker "emulator" in RenPy

5.00 star(s) 4 Votes

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
@selectivepaperclip would you like me to put up Mac versions of these?

I've played most of the ICSTOR games (not Milf's Control yet). The others I could download, update to a newer version of rpgm2renpy, then convert. What version should I use - whatever is the latest at the time?

And feel free to make Mac versions of the next ones you do :).

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
@selectivepaperclip would you like me to put up Mac versions of these?
Maybe? It'd be good to help people out who can't do the conversion themselves, though I'm wary that supporting another platform means a new set of problems to deal with, like explaining how to apply any additonal patches to the mac versions etc.
What version should I use - whatever is the latest at the time?
I haven't been able to test any of the ICSTOR games against the 0.7.x versions, which I've been developing mostly targeting My Girlfriend's Amnesia / The Artifact / Living With Mia series.

There's some good performance improvements in the latest versions but also a lot of extra complexity around parallel events handling that I'm pretty sure breaks some of the ICSTOR games at least a little, so the last verified version I can recommend for those is 0.6.9.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Maybe? It'd be good to help people out who can't do the conversion themselves, though I'm wary that supporting another platform means a new set of problems to deal with, like explaining how to apply any additonal patches to the mac versions etc.
I haven't been able to test any of the ICSTOR games against the 0.7.x versions, which I've been developing mostly targeting My Girlfriend's Amnesia / The Artifact / Living With Mia series.

There's some good performance improvements in the latest versions but also a lot of extra complexity around parallel events handling that I'm pretty sure breaks some of the ICSTOR games at least a little, so the last verified version I can recommend for those is 0.6.9.
I've got all the ICSTOR games converted, updated to something that works (at most 0.6.9), and played to completion - except Milf's Control. I haven't gotten around to it playing it yet, and I'm not sure what version it's using, but I can update it to 0.6.9 easily.

Is there any way to tell what version a given install is? If not, please add one - a version.txt in the game folder with the version number would be good enough.

I've also got My Summer updated to 0.4.7, Visiting Aunt Sara 0.45, and My Girlfriend's Amnesia with the mod patched to 0.7.7. These aren't converted yet, though.

Applying patches is easy. Right click on the app, select "Show Package Contents", open "Contents" then "Resources". Hold down option and drag the patch's game folder to "autorun". Click "Merge".

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
Is there any way to tell what version a given install is? If not, please add one - a version.txt in the game folder with the version number would be good enough.
It's on the startup screen in the lower-right, though it's in the default light blue lettering so it can be hard to see on certain backgrounds. Otherwise "config.version" in the console.

This value exists in the code as "config.version = [version number]" in options.rpy, if you don't want to open a game to find out.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
It's on the startup screen in the lower-right, though it's in the default light blue lettering so it can be hard to see on certain backgrounds. Otherwise "config.version" in the console.

This value exists in the code as "config.version = [version number]" in options.rpy, if you don't want to open a game to find out.
Thanks.

Is there any reason to or not to upgrade the NLT games to 0.6.9?

Edit: Found a reason to not upgrade. Going to town the first time takes 4 seconds with 0.4.7, and 13 seconds with 0.6.9.

Tarock

Feb 21, 2018
Hey You did a great job there,and i been thinking if you pan to port IC In Paradise too.

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
Edit: Found a reason to not upgrade. Going to town the first time takes 4 seconds with 0.4.7, and 13 seconds with 0.6.9.
That might only be true of the first visit. 0.5.0 is where I introduced disk caching where it writes out each map as an image to the /rpgmcache/ folder and uses the cached version instead of fully rerendering the tiles constantly. So it might be a little slower on the first hit, but afterwards it should be a ton faster.

But it's probably safer to go with the old one because 0.4.7 is the version that was fully tested.

Yamanote

Feb 8, 2018
Hey amazing job, i already liked the games in RPGM, but renpy makes them even better. Just a quick question, are you planning to implement rollback? I tried it in IC 1 and got the following message "code 401 not implemented, plz fix."

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
are you planning to implement rollback? I tried it in IC 1 and got the following message "code 401 not implemented, plz fix."
Rollback wasn't something I ever used in RenPy games prior to writing rpgm2renpy, so I didn't know whether people expected it to work.

Now that I'm getting some feedback on this I can give it another look.

steve jokes

Apr 15, 2018
Thank you so much!
Ps: I have a request please, can you give a little time to see if it is possible for : lily of the valley ( P and P )
I think it's one of the best games in here but rpgm makes me wanna kill myself.

Reactions: January2015

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
Ps: I have a request please, can you give a little time to see if it is possible for : lily of the valley ( P and P )
Huh, for some reason I thought someone else was already doing a remake of Lily, but nothing comes up in search so I guess I got it confused with Anna Exciting Affection / Elena's Life.

I've messed with it a little previously and it currently gets into an infinite loop after the intro screen, but I can add it to the list.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
This is fantastic; there are a lot of RPGMaker games I avoid just because the play experience is so much worse. If you're taking requests, can you look at Agent Alona and the other Combin Ation games? Not sure if they're doable since your GitHub notes mentions no combat and combat actually matters some in those games (letting yourself get hit leads to losing clothes, losing a fight leads to humiliation), but moving around is just painful in those games even though I love the content. Either way, thanks so much for this fantastic contribution!
Porting RPG's is troublesome, it mainly works for VN's in RPGM but anything with RPG gameplay will lose a lot of content specifically combat related.

Reactions: selectivepaperclip

whynothere

Apr 26, 2017
Porting RPG's is troublesome, it mainly works for VN's in RPGM but anything with RPG gameplay will lose a lot of content specifically combat related.
Fair enough; I don't know enough about how RPGMaker games work but I was hoping there'd be some way to trigger scenes based on getting hit or losing manually (throw up a "lose fight?" yes/no option or the like). If it's not doable I'll just stare wistfully at those games and/or occasionally open them up and get frustrated by how long it takes to do anything :)

Reactions: selectivepaperclip
5.00 star(s) 4 Votes