n1ck

Feb 5, 2018
Guys, I'm throwing an idea here.

I'm working on fixing the poly relationship & jealousy / cheating events of the game. I've noticed that most of the bugs are caused by the game having 400+ global variables to track, most of them are duplicates for each characters. Coupled by Oni's inexperience in coding (from what I heard), it's no wonder he introduced many bugs. Heck, I introduced some myself while trying to fix things.

What I'm proposing is to rewrite the code in Object Oriented manner so that that 400+ variables can be more manageable. While I have experience in Python, an can work on the game logic, I'm not familiar with Renpy. So I need the help from someone who are familiar to it, mostly in handling the visual aspect of the game.

And if someone willing to work with the dialogs (no coding skills necessary), maybe we can create something for the missing dialogs for the game (mostly Emma, but Rogue and Kitty have some missing dialogs too)

Any thoughts?

Reactions: probez
Apr 7, 2018
I think you misunderstood me. In Rogue-Like it's not just about doing one action enough times that you'll unlock the next action. Or well, it is to some extend, but there's way more to it. The stats all affect each other, and the different characters will act differently depending on those stats. Not just around you, but around each other too.
There's stats that you probably don't even know about unless you've looked at the coding. It is definitely more complex than the system Akabur is using.
I'm not trying to defend Oni, I'm just saying that I don't think it's a fair comparison, because of how different the two systems are.
The way those stats affect each other in comparison to how long it takes for him to make them makes the stats mostly irrelevant. Minute dialogue changes or blushing in exchange for waiting 2-3 months for an update? Hello? This has been going for much longer than the majority of the games on this site and yet they manage to pump out more content efficiently and regularly. Akabur got the coding system right, those '3-4' stats work in essentially the same way as RL. X and Z stat exists, Y action is attempted, X is met but Z is not met therefore Y action occurs in a different way to how it would work with X and Z. His games are definitely flawed but his coding system works far more efficiently and effectively than Oni. He achieves far more in 3 months than Oni does in perhaps double that time. To say his 4 stats aren't comparable to Oni's 15 is totally irrelevant to complexity of the game. Oni's game isn't complex, its got a submission system and a love system, literally every renpy game on this site omegalol

Tinymanhood

Modder
Jun 6, 2017
The way those stats affect each other in comparison to how long it takes for him to make them makes the stats mostly irrelevant. Minute dialogue changes or blushing in exchange for waiting 2-3 months for an update? Hello? This has been going for much longer than the majority of the games on this site and yet they manage to pump out more content efficiently and regularly. Akabur got the coding system right, those '3-4' stats work in essentially the same way as RL. X and Z stat exists, Y action is attempted, X is met but Z is not met therefore Y action occurs in a different way to how it would work with X and Z. His games are definitely flawed but his coding system works far more efficiently and effectively than Oni. He achieves far more in 3 months than Oni does in perhaps double that time. To say his 4 stats aren't comparable to Oni's 15 is totally irrelevant to complexity of the game. Oni's game isn't complex, its got a submission system and a love system, literally every renpy game on this site omegalol
What's your point? Like I said, I'm not defending Oni. I'm just saying that it's different systems and that Akabur's is simpler. That's all.

Edit: You're wrong about a couple of things btw.
I never said Oni's coding is more efficient.
The stat systems in those two games does not work the same way.
There's more to Rogue-Like than the submission and love systems. Way more. Just take a look at the coding.
I never said Oni's game is complex. I said that the coding in his stats system is more complex than the one Akabur uses.
And irrelevant? Not at all. Most of your post however, is irrelevant to what I've said.

Have a good night.

aifman7

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm throwing an idea here.

I'm working on fixing the poly relationship & jealousy / cheating events of the game. I've noticed that most of the bugs are caused by the game having 400+ global variables to track, most of them are duplicates for each characters. Coupled by Oni's inexperience in coding (from what I heard), it's no wonder he introduced many bugs. Heck, I introduced some myself while trying to fix things.

What I'm proposing is to rewrite the code in Object Oriented manner so that that 400+ variables can be more manageable. While I have experience in Python, an can work on the game logic, I'm not familiar with Renpy. So I need the help from someone who are familiar to it, mostly in handling the visual aspect of the game.

And if someone willing to work with the dialogs (no coding skills necessary), maybe we can create something for the missing dialogs for the game (mostly Emma, but Rogue and Kitty have some missing dialogs too)

Any thoughts?
It's a neat idea, but I wonder how easily it would be to port this over to the newer version of the game as Oni releases them. I know it's a long time usually between official updates but even some of the less intrusive mods here have been broken even when you go from version .978e to .978f, where there presumably haven't been any major changes or overhauls except for a few bug fixes.

How would you be able to keep up with Oni's changes? Or are you thinking of branching off entirely and creating your own standalone modded version of the game, with .978e as its "starting point"? (for example, like Witch Trainer: Silver versus the original Witch Trainer)

Apr 7, 2018
What's your point? Like I said, I'm not defending Oni. I'm just saying that it's different systems and that Akabur's is simpler. That's all.

Edit: You're wrong about a couple of things btw.
I never said Oni's coding is more efficient.
The stat systems in those two games does not work the same way.
There's more to Rogue-Like than the submission and love systems. Way more. Just take a look at the coding.
I never said Oni's game is complex. I said that the coding in his stats system is more complex than the one Akabur uses.
And irrelevant? Not at all. Most of your post however, is irrelevant to what I've said.

Have a good night.
You took that well too personally. My point was that regardless of all the variables Oni adds at its base it's Love/Submission when you look at what the variables actually do. I don't see why you tried countering the point I never made, I never once indicated that you claimed it was more efficient, I threw that in as my opinion on the major difference between Akabur and Oni as devs. You should really learn not to take things too personal on the internet, when you say something online you're open to criticism. As to your point about complexity, again you're countering a point I never made. I stated I don't feel his game is complex, I never indicated that's what I though you said.

Tinymanhood

Modder
Jun 6, 2017
You took that well too personally. My point was that regardless of all the variables Oni adds at its base it's Love/Submission when you look at what the variables actually do. I don't see why you tried countering the point I never made, I never once indicated that you claimed it was more efficient, I threw that in as my opinion on the major difference between Akabur and Oni as devs. You should really learn not to take things too personal on the internet, when you say something online you're open to criticism. As to your point about complexity, again you're countering a point I never made. I stated I don't feel his game is complex, I never indicated that's what I though you said.
I didn't take anything personal, I just corrected you.

"Akabur got the coding system right, those '3-4' stats work in essentially the same way as RL"
"Oni's game isn't complex, its got a submission system and a love system, literally every renpy game on this site omegalol"

I'm amazed at how quickly you forgot what you wrote in your own post.

Anyways, this conversation is going nowhere. Have a nice night.

Apr 7, 2018
I didn't take anything personal, I just corrected you.

"Akabur got the coding system right, those '3-4' stats work in essentially the same way as RL"
"Oni's game isn't complex, its got a submission system and a love system, literally every renpy game on this site omegalol"

I'm amazed at how quickly you forgot what you wrote in your own post.

Anyways, this conversation is going nowhere. Have a nice night.
Again stating my opinion and not countering your point, boy are you okay? Gn man.

Tinymanhood

Modder
Jun 6, 2017
Again stating my opinion and not countering your point, boy are you okay? Gn man.

Those are statements, not opinions ;)

Tinymanhood

Modder
Jun 6, 2017
It's a neat idea, but I wonder how easily it would be to port this over to the newer version of the game as Oni releases them. I know it's a long time usually between official updates but even some of the less intrusive mods here have been broken even when you go from version .978e to .978f, where there presumably haven't been any major changes or overhauls except for a few bug fixes.

How would you be able to keep up with Oni's changes? Or are you thinking of branching off entirely and creating your own standalone modded version of the game, with .978e as its "starting point"? (for example, like Witch Trainer: Silver versus the original Witch Trainer)
Something like that could definitely be done, but the missing art would still be needed.

Apr 7, 2018

Those are statements, not opinions ;)
Complexity is totally subjective... again opinion. Are we really going to get grammatical here? Seems totally illogical, we can do far more useful things with our time. This was never intended to be an argument, have a good one my man.

drew

May 19, 2017
Something like that could definitely be done, but the missing art would still be needed.

So? sorry i just read 2 comments, i don't know nothing about what u guys are talking about, but, what's the problem?? i don't get it sry.

n1ck

Feb 5, 2018

For starters, I'm thinking of rewriting the code like this (from my fix of the jealousy event):

if "saw with kitty" in R_Traits:
if Day < R_LastCaughtKitty or Day > (R_LastCaughtKitty + 2):
$ R_Traits.remove("saw with kitty")
$ R_LastCaughtKitty = 0

if "saw with emma" in R_Traits:
if Day < R_LastCaughtEmma or Day > (R_LastCaughtEmma + 2):
$ R_Traits.remove("saw with emma")
$ R_LastCaughtEmma = 0

to this:

rogue.forget_all_infidelities()

The logic are mainly the same, but with minimal code repetition. This should make porting from new version more manageable.

I think we'll talk about version branching when I have a good idea on how to make the game plugin friendly, to a point where one could add/remove new characters and events, not just clothings, with ease. For this I need to consult someone who are knowledgeable in Renpy.

I'm thinking about adding dialogs where no new art are needed. For example, Emma's "Just want to talk". Currently it is a carbon copy of Kitty's. As "Just want to talk" is a secondary event dispatcher, I'm interested on getting that to work.

Reactions: cvbn28c and aifman7

Tinymanhood

Modder
Jun 6, 2017
So? sorry i just read 2 comments, i don't know nothing about what u guys are talking about, but, what's the problem?? i don't get it sry.
We're just talking about modding the game.

I'm thinking about adding dialogs where no new art are needed. For example, Emma's "Just want to talk". Currently it is a carbon copy of Kitty's. As "Just want to talk" is a secondary event dispatcher, I'm interested on getting that to work.
Oh okay, that shouldn't be too difficult. But as said, it would probably have to be a standalone version.

Shanks_Aka

Modder
Dec 3, 2017
We're just talking about modding the game.

Oh okay, that shouldn't be too difficult. But as said, it would probably have to be a standalone version.
On that note I'm curious to see how hard its gonna be to merge the mods with version 979

Tinymanhood

Modder
Jun 6, 2017
Wow that would be nice, could you do something about the sex animations or is impossible? " last question" i don 't want bother XD
I guess it's possible to add stuff to the existing animations, if that's what you mean.

Reactions: drew
4.40 star(s) 145 Votes