Ren'Py Ren'Py ? Why ?

icesun

Be nice! Until it's time to not be nice...
Former Staff
Nov 2, 2018
Yeah, Ren'py corrupted us all. It's such a pleasure to play a game made with it.
  • Rollback ;
  • Save when you want ;
  • Have how many save files you want ;
  • Skip already seen text when you restart ;
  • Even skip unseen text if you want ;
  • Auto-advance of the text ;
  • Cheat as you want with the console ;
  • Easy access to source code to use as walkthrough ;
  • Easily moddable ;
This. For me especially the parts I hightlighted... ;)
If the game doesn't provide a proper gallery to rewatch "the good stuff" I build my own through savegames. No other engine I've gome across so far does this as smoothly as Ren'Py imho...

Reactions: groove888

Zaon

Dec 20, 2017
The ability to mod is also irreplaceable for me. For two reasons...

One, it's easier to mod in morally outrageous content that Patreon doesn't like.

Second, many devs make games that are a chore to play. Without modding some of them would not be an option at all for me. Also when the dev disappears and abandons the game others can "easily" take over (for various values of "easily").

It's also easy to share settings. I have a few config files that I can just paste into a Ren'Py folder to adjust it to look and feel how I want it to, when a dev decides to be awful and disable rollback for example. Or make huge dialogue boxes that cover up the entire page, or make it impossible to mute the sound, etc.

Even if it isn't Ren'Py I can usually manage to play a game, but it's not nearly as fun for me as a player. Personally I wouldn't consider a browser game though. No offense to you, but I just don't trust devs to make a good game that's even barely playable in a browser, nor do I want to launch it in my browser in the first place.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
As a player I like Ren'py games because they are predictable and I know the interface well.

As a developer, I especially like Ren'py because it was super easy to develop a basic VN without a huge learning curve (really no learning curve at all). As with anything, the more complex you want to get, the more learning curve you will have. There are also a ton of developers out there using Ren'py, so there is lots of support as well. These are just a few reasons among many.

Reactions: agregen