Ren'Py Ren'Py ? Why ?

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Hi folks,

By this question I mean... what does Ren'Py so special? And why not just do a VN as a browser-based game?? It's all about texts and clicks... What the real benefits of using Ren'Py instead of a browser VN based game? Like for example...

Thanks!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Its ease of use.

An alternative would be Tyrano but eh... It is not a good engine.
There are also other visual makers but none of them are as "powerful" as Ren'py while still easy to use for beginners.

Let's just say that Ren'Py is great for beginners as in everyone can make their own Visual Novel without any problem and as you "grow up" and learn to use it better and better, it shows you more possibilities and therefore more chances to make your game a little more complex by adding inventories, phones, calendars and other stuff.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Its ease of use.
Do you have some good tutorial in it, please? I mean some "recent" ones.

I am doing a website with react, javascript and CSS... should I just keep do it that and make a VN browser based instead?

Thanks.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I believe that Ren'Py does not support browser, if you *really* need browser I would suggest you to use Tyrano... Or Unity3D, unless someone else has a better suggestion.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
I believe that Ren'Py does not support browser, if you *really* need browser I would suggest you to use Tyrano... Or Unity3D, unless someone else has a better suggestion.
No I mean, I can make a game in a browser without using any new knowledge, something like Harem heroes. (I am already a web developer)

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Hi folks,

By this question I mean... what does Ren'Py so special? And why not just do a VN as a browser-based game?? It's all about texts and clicks... What the real benefits of using Ren'Py instead of a browser VN based game? Like for example...

Thanks!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Just do whatever you like and feel most comfortable with.

I personally do not like browser games but there is an audience for it, I believe.

As for recent Ren'Py tutorials...
It is a series still updated to this day.

Reactions: Spirox

random.person

Aug 11, 2017
Hi folks,

Thanks!
Most of the game developers that do VN are not web developers and that alone makes maintaining a web based game a nightmare.
Besides, you'd have to pay for a domain and care about bandwidth.
It is simpler to release a game, have people download it and run it on their machine, rather than trying to keep a server up and running without hiccups.

Reactions: agregen and Spirox

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Just do whatever you like and feel most comfortable with.

I personally do not like browser games but there is an audience for it, I believe.

As for recent Ren'Py tutorials...
It is a series still updated to this day.
Great thanks!

Can I know why you aren't a fan of browser type games?

W65

May 31, 2018
I got a little lost. Do we mean "browser based" as in "is available via WWW in a browser" or "written or encapsulated in HTML and therefore is run in a browser"?

For the latter, don't most folks use things like TWINE if they're not already HTML/JS experts?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
No I mean, I can make a game in a browser without using any new knowledge, something like Harem heroes. (I am already a web developer)
The other aspect is familiarity for the player.

If the player already know what the major function keys do, how the UI will likely behave... those are all good ways to make your customers feel at home before they see 1 line of dialogue or 1 background image.

I personally like the "auto" (advance) functionality. It helps that I know a little RenPy coding too, so I can add that into games that don't already include it.
Other features, like pressing the CTRL / CMD key to fast advance to the next unseen line of dialogue is nice too.

There's also the general history of games. I've played a lot of really good RenPy games (and some stinkers too), so when I run into a bad RenPy game, I know that's down to the author not the engine.

I know of at least one dev that switched from RenPy to RPGMaker (VX? / MX?) because of the website support. Figuring that more people would be interested in his game is he were able to put it direct to play on a few websites. A lot of people here didn't like the idea... though in fairness, I never did follow up to see how well he did with Patreon supports before and after.

I am of course biased, since I was able to pick up RenPy pretty quickly as a programming language and haven't even tried any of the alternatives. But I think it's telling that someone like me, without a game dev background decided to try RenPy having lurked around F95zone for a while, rather than the other alternative.

I suppose the simple answer is that it's popular BECAUSE it's popular.

CLDꝜ

̷ ̷ ̶ ̴ ̴ ̴ ̷ ̸ ̸ ̷ ̵ ̸ ̸ ̴ ̵ ̷ ̵ ̴ ̶ ̴ ̶ ̵ ̶ ̴ ̵
Staff member
Community Liaison
Jul 7, 2017
Ren'Py is a well tested engine, which is easy to learn compared to learning HTML, CSS, PHP, JS etc. You don't really need to know a lot of Python to make it work (although knowing Python is a big bonus) It also has features that'll take quite a bit of time to create if you're doing everything from scratch (proper saving, skipping text you've already seen with ctrl/tab, various settings++)

seems to be pretty much the same as Ren'Py, but with web support. Games like Dreams of Desire, Melody and Milfy City has been ported to Monogatari ( ) so I guess you're not locked out for web if you're going with Ren'Py anyways.

Reactions: agregen

kaboomer69

Sep 1, 2018
As a player, Ren'Py is wide and far the best engine. By a factor of 100 or so.

1) It is extremely fast, there are no artificial delays and loading files is instant while playing
2) You can skip seen text (or all text) by holding down CTRL, also supported by point 1 (fast engine)
3) It is completely standalone and actually works - no installation, no third party software, no online connection, most of all no shitty flash

Raymondo

Nov 17, 2017
There is option that looks like Renpy for online: But personaly i am not sure thats good idea for example if you put your game under: xxx . com / game 1 ... so everbody that boght your game can play game online and there is only 1 guy needed that shares the link public and everbody get redirect to that game can play it for free.

I mean every game get pirated sooner or later we are on F95 so jeah but if you host the GAME on your website you wil get TONS OF TRAFFIC if for example F95 puts the link public and maybe you didnt boght a unlimited TRAFFIC update and your website maybe runs out of "traffic" and is offline for the rest of the month.

Thats why i rather recommend still puting it in a ZIP or RAR so F95 and other pages still upload it to different hosters to not use your Traffic.

Webbased game is good but has a lot of side effects if the URL gets in the wrong hands.

Three

Aug 30, 2018
It's free, very easy to use and everybody is using it. Those are the three main reasons.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
As a player, Ren'Py is wide and far the best engine. By a factor of 100 or so.

1) It is extremely fast, there are no artificial delays and loading files is instant while playing
2) You can skip seen text (or all text) by holding down CTRL, also supported by point 1 (fast engine)
3) It is completely standalone and actually works - no installation, no third party software, no online connection, most of all no shitty flash
Flash can run ren'py games. Ren'py can't run Flash games. :whistle:

Finsit

Harder Better Faster Cheater
Game Developer
Jun 2, 2017
Ren'Py is made for visual novel.

It is convienient for the player that as @79flavors pointed out are probably familiar with it's UI and core feature.

For me the most important from the player perspective is the ability to rollback. Without it any choice call for a save and that is also something Ren'Py does well as it allow you to save anytime and can work across versions even on Android.

2D artists tend to like it as it gives them easy-ish access to good features. Developer tends to hate it once the surface is scratched because of those easy access to good features (that are a mess to deal with once you start making custom things).

Also as long as you keep it simple with your use of Ren'Py the documentation is fine. The moment you start trying to use Ren'Py a little more extensively it's turns out to be garbage.

But yeah as @W65 said there is Twine/SugarCube that has the same rollback and save upside as Ren'Py on a browser based system. It's also fairly used so it's UI should be know by most of your players too.

But the main difference with Ren'Py is that it is way less popular with 2D artists, so while Ren'Py assures your player there will be plenty of graphic content, Twine/SugarCube tend to tell them it's a text based game with a walls of text.

And in general the UI will be less graphic.

For me Twine/SugarCube is to writers what Ren'Py is to 2D Artists.

As for cheating, I tend to like both since it's pretty easy to cheat either with Ren'Py console or with the browser console for Twine/SugarCube. I know that with either of them I won't need to grind.

Reactions: random.person

uhohitsuhoh

May 21, 2017
I pretty much only play renpy games and VN's now, I've also started making and stopped making games before, trying to use tyranobuilder. The problems I was running into were basically trying to make the games function like a renpy game.

As others mentioned, having the ctrl key be able to skip text already seen is huge, but the main thing for me is the save capability and being able to rollback your choices to ensure you see all content.

I found this site and others for trying to find games like vdategames, which are browser based, point and click choose dialog type games, but i hated having to start over completely and figure out where i went wrong etc. I'd try and open new tabs with different choices etc but it wouldn't work, you'd have to stay within the same tab or lose progress/points etc.

Renpy is the best. It's not super easy to use though like everyone claims. I've got a skeleton working finally of a game, but it was pretty difficult getting to this point. I know NOTHING though. So options like tyranobuilder were miles ahead of it in terms of ease of use, its just the product it puts out isn't as good. So while ren'py is easy to use in comparison to actually learning coding, its a misconception that you can just learn to use it in an hour. But hey maybe I'm a dummy. It took me an entire day to do minor tweaks to the UI itself and most of it is still stock templates.

I'm off track though, the main point of my post is the save functionality (unlimited saves as easy as right clicking) and being able to just scroll the mousewheel up to go backwards.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
As others mentioned, having the ctrl key be able to skip text already seen is huge, but the main thing for me is the save capability and being able to rollback your choices to ensure you see all content.
Yeah, Ren'py corrupted us all. It's such a pleasure to play a game made with it.
  • Rollback ;
  • Save when you want ;
  • Have how many save files you want ;
  • Skip already seen text when you restart ;
  • Even skip unseen text if you want ;
  • Auto-advance of the text ;
  • Cheat as you want with the console ;
  • Easy access to source code to use as walkthrough ;
  • Easily moddable ;
Other engines are good too, but when I play a game made with Unity (by example), what can I say ? I miss all the features I listed above.

As for browser based games...
In the 80/90 we had shareware, but they weren't made by what we now see as indies studio. There were a real society behind, a local where everybody were working, and so on. For everybody involved it was a regular full time job. So, pure indie development started to become more than a small hobby partly, (mostly ? don't remember this much) with browser based games. Then the games were made with Shockwave, then Flash, to finally use engines like Ren'py, RPG Maker or Unity.
Perhaps it's because I'm old enough to have play some of the first browser based games when they were released, I can't say. But one thing is sure, when I play one, I always have this feeling that there's something wrong, something out of date. Some are really well made, but still they feel, at least to me, more amateurish than a bad Ren'py game. This even if the game is made with Unity.