5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Main features:
  • universal = works in most Ren'Py games
  • easy to add = extract to the root folder of the game*
  • easy to remove = two files to delete (y_outline.rpy and y_outline.rpyc) in the subfolder named "game"
* where the executable file of the game is

Original game:
LWM_bfr.jpg
( by Likesblondes)

screenshot0001.jpg
( by Daniels K)

Patched game:
up to v2.4.x
LWM_patched.jpg

v2.5 and up
screenshot0002.jpg

Known problems:

A temporary solution for the incompatibility problem implemented in v2.4.10
A permanent solution found for the hidden/inactive/missing quick menu problem and implemented in v2.6. Just hit Alt+m in case quick menu is hidden and it should appear. In case it doesn't, please let me know about it.
  1. Incompatibility of the patch v2.4.7 and newer with older versions of Ren'Py (older than v6.99.14).
    What does it mean?
    If the game is made with a Ren'Py SDK older than v6.99.14, the game will crash with the transparency patch v2.4.7 and newer.
    What is the solution to the problem?
    In case after adding my patch to the game the game will crash with an error message:
    File "game/y_outline.rpy", line 157: u'pagekeys' is not a keyword argument or valid child for the viewport statement.
    Then you can use the
  2. In case quick menu is hidden in some games and after applying transparency patch v2.5 v2.6 or newer it won't appear when you hit (repeatedly) Alt+Shift+M Alt+m, you may have to save the game once and then load that save. This should activate quick menu.
    set
    $ suppress_overlay = False
    $ quick_menu = True
    manually via console. Starting a new game sometimes also works.

The boring stuff:

Some time ago I made a patch for myself to remove the dialog box background from Ren'Py games and a little later thought that some users here may like it, too. So I posted it in one of the game threads first, then added a link to my sig, but I didn't think that it would deserve a separate thread here.

Now I created this thread only to make getting feedback from users easier. Especially because I started to add game-specific overrides to my patch now and I'd like to keep it all in one place.

One important request:

Please, let me know about the games where my patch isn't working or creates problems and I'll try to take a look at them and find a way to fix it.

TL/DR: (read when you're stuck or have questions)

This is the important part of the current README file of my patch:

README said:
#######################################
[Description]

This mod will replace the original background of the text (dialog) box and name box (character name background, if there is one) of your Ren'Py game with completely (100%) transparent ones without overwriting any of the original files. To make the text still readable, it will make text in the text box white and add a black outline to text in both boxes.

I made it only because I don't like the images being covered and in Ren'Py it is very easy to remove that annoying background from the text box instead of tapping the H-key all the time. Text itself isn't as annoying as a large half-transparent box that covers up to a quarter of the screen in some games.

[Limitations]

The mod will work for most Ren'Py games, except the kind where text box and/or name box are modified in a way that differs from the Ren'Py default in ways I haven't been able to predict.

In most Ren'Py games it should work.

White text with black outline is quite well readable on almost all backgrounds with rare exceptions. I've seen one myself.
In case most backgrounds in the game are bright, then the opposite of the default - black text with white outline may be better to read. About how to change the default, read the last part of this README.

[Backup of the original files]

This mod WILL NOT overwrite any of the original files, NO BACKUP is required.

[Installing the mod]

To use this mod, just extract this whole archive into your game root folder (where the exe file is).

[Removal]

To remove this mod and restore original look for the game, just delete y_outline.rpy (added from this archive) and y_outline.rpyc (generated by Ren'Py) files from your "game" subfolder.

Changelog:

Initial release
Overwrites game/gui/namebox.png and game/gui/textbox.png, adds game/outline.rpy
Creates a 2 pixel shadow on the right and below the text on all text in the game.
- Now the mod will not replace any of the original files - this makes the removal of this mod extremely easy, you just have to delete two files (y_outline.rpy and y_outline.rpyc) in the game subfolder.
- Now only the text in the text and name box will get outline, no other text is modified.
- The color of the text in the text box is changed to white and it gets a black 1 pixel outline. White text with a black outline is quite well readable against most backgrounds with some rare exceptions (I've seen one such extreme pattern on the floor of a space ship in the game Infinity).
- Name box text also gets the same outline as the text box, but the color won't be modified. There is a different color assigned to different characters in some games, so that won't change.
- There is a README file included now with some basic description and instructions about installing and removing this mod.

In case you are already using the previous version of my mod and want to use the new one, then you should delete outline.rpy and outline.rpyc files in your game subfolder.
- better compatibility with games where gui is more customized and some of the default gui-related variables aren't defined (e.g Extra Classes Resurgam). Results depend on how and how much the gui is customized.
- default outline is now 2 pixels thick and shifted to the right and down by one pixel, creating a full 1 pixel outline and a 2 pixel shadow on the right and below the text.
- Changelog added
rollback to v2.3
- init level priority for overrides raised to the highest possible level
(they will run last, overwriting everything previously set by the game)
If you prefer to keep default colors, find y_outline.rpy file in the "game" subfolder, open it in Notepad or Notepad++, find the section about Au-pair Innocence SE and read the comment about disabling it.
- Override for the tiresome to read dialogue text font in the "Life With Pleasure" [Mr.N] (v0.2) added
- Override for the character-specific text boxes in "Where The Heart Is" [CheekyGimp] (EP1 v0.06) added
- The new black mouse cursor introduced in the "Welcome to Temptation" [CarnalCardinalGames] v0.2 that is completely invisible against dark backgrounds, replaced with a white one with a black outline that is visible everywhere, as a mouse cursor should be.
- Critical, potentially game crashing bug fixed - (I repeated the same mistake I made earlier with Ren'Py init, again with Python init without even thinking LOL. Realized it only after another game started with the new cursor, that obviously wasn't supposed to happen. Sorry! Ren'Py beginners mistakes and late night scripting again, I guess.)
- "Welcome to Temptation" [CarnalCardinalGames] v0.2 cursor replaced with a new one, with transparent red filling and high visibility frame.
- "Welcome to Temptation" [CarnalCardinalGames] v0.2 cursor again replaced with a newer, slightly improved one. An option to restore normal cursor added to the conf as a last line (open y_outline.rpy in Notepad and uncomment last line in the section of this game). Possibly not working with the updated v0.2b, hasn't been tested with it.
- Added outline for the choice button text in "Deeper" [Thundorn Games] (v0.0.531)
v2.4.7
- Added outline for the choice button text in "Seraphim Academy" [Trinity Games] (Chapter 1)
v2.4.7.2
- Found that a background image can be replaced by "None", so removed onepixel.png from the package
- Improved the cursor for "Welcome to Temptation" (removed and added some pixels)
v2.4.8
- "Where The "Heart Is" [CheekyGimp] overrides updated to match EP6
Most extensive changes for a single game in this patch so far. Details in the comments of the conf file.
A sample of the changes:
original and patched
screenshot0007.jpg screenshot0006.jpg
It is just a modification of the default Ren'Py style the way Ren'Py is configured by default. It may be overrided by some games that may be using other options to change that style.
- Disabled pagekeys (PgUP and PgDown keys in the choice viewport) for the "Seraphim Academy" until I can find a better solution to keep older versions of the Ren'Py parser from crashing on it.
Since the text of every choice button in the game is colored separately to black, it is impossible to override it without modifying every line with choice button text in the game script itself. So this is an attempt to be "clever" and create active bright outlines to this black text. Seems to be working :p
- Some other minor adjustments
- Redesigned default quick menu for all games to be less obtrusive and more functional than the default (thanks to T4bbo for the general idea from his Babysitter game). Now you can also toggle the quick menu itself by hitting Alt+Shift+M on the keyboard (may not work at all in some games or just with old saves)
- Removed the quick menu version of the Babysitter game since the one I made looks similar and is more functional.
- Removed static character side images that are just covering up large part of the screen in Life with Mary [LikesBlondes] v0.27
v2.5.2
- "Where The "Heart Is" [CheekyGimp] overrides updated to match EP7
- "Family Matters" [Perv2k] overrides updated to match v0.4
- Changed dialog box font, font size and color in the "Pandora's box" v0.1. Couldn't remove text transparency though, because I couldn't find the place where it was set.
- Changed dialog box font to default and removed useless static extra large character images from the left corner in "Haley's story" [Viitgames] v0.01
- Changed dialog box font to default in the "Dreams of Desire - The Lost Memories" [LewdLab] Ch. 2
v2.5.5
- Indecent Desires [Vilelab] Ch6 - changed dialog box font to Ren'Py default and removed the bold style from the characters dialog (Thanks to bossapplesauce for the original dialog text filter that I just modified a bit.)
- The Awakening [SLim Games] 0.1 - removed "hardcoded" text box backgrounds and static character side images by redefining characters
The game itself needs a cleanup fix that moves in-game character definitions to the already existing characters.rpy that the dev seems to have forgotten about.
TheAwakening-0.1_fix_unofficial_by_Penfold.7z (attachment and link removed after becoming outdated)
- Big City's Pleasures [Porcus] 0.2b - removed "hardcoded" grey color and italic style from the dialog text (italic dialog text plus quotes around it plus italic character name was marking the thoughts of characters, this only removes italic from the text, italic names and quotes will remain as they were.
- The Personal Assistant [JLCreation] v1.0 - default character name color is now set from dark grey to white, removed "Story Teller" character name.
- Heavy Five [Nottravis] Ch 1 - removed custom dialog background images with integrated portraits and names, added real name labels, repositioned name labels to sensible coordinates and reduced dialog box height.
- Earth's Sexiest Heroes [Kappuru Games] v0.3 - removed character dialog backgrounds
- Where The Heart Is [CheekyGimp] overrides updated for the new characters in EP9
v2.5.8.1
- Freeloading Family [FFCreation] v0.18 - overrides updated
- Bad Memories [recreation] v0.1 - redefined characters to remove huge fancy name label font, fix name label size and position
- Kindread: The Redburns [Inkalicious] ch3 - redefined added thinking style to improve visibility
- Babysitters [T4bbo] v0.0.1 - replaced large stats button with a small quickmenu-style text button and made dialog text a bit smaller. Changed default name label and dialog text color from black to white.
- Big City's Pleasures [Porcus] - updated to v0.2.2b
- The Way [Zee95] v0.23a - redefined characters to remove who_outlines and what_outlines to make it possible to use default outlines of this patch with better visibility.
- Forgotten Paradise [Void Star] v0.12 - redefined characters to remove character dialog styles
- Primal Instinct [SilkandMilkProductions] v0.03 - redefined characters to remove character dialog styles
- Estate: Dominate [Henissart] v0.17 R2 - redefined some characters to remove dark grey colors from their labels
- Gates Motel [P_S_Y_C_H_O] - v0.3b - redefined characters to remove colors with poor visibility from character dialog text
- Removed an attempted fix for Happy Summer [Caizer Games] v0.1.1 that stopped working after another game update and created occasional compatibility problems with some other games.
- Removed modified mouse cursor for Welcome to Temptation [CarnalCardinalGames] to drop the cursor image file I've been dragging along.
v2.6
- Added tooltips to the quick menu
- Added temporary remapping to "start" and "after_load" labels to always activate quick menu before the game code is executed. Menu can still be hidden by Alt+m, but it will remain active while hidden.
Since this remapping is removed right after added commands and the actual after_load gets called or game jumped to the real start label, added code should not interfere with the game itself.
This also resolves quick menu problems in games like EstateDominate where quick menu is missing from the dialog box screen.
- Added removal of custom gui.quick_button parameters to keep the looks of my minimalistic quick menu style. This resolves a little problem with the v0.3.5 version of the Summer Scent game and possibly some other games where these parameters have been set.
- Some other minor changes
- Freeloading Family [FFCreation] v0.25 - overrides updated
- Unleashed [CarbonBlue] v0.4 - redefined characters to remove background. You have to save and load the save to make it work.
- My Pleasure [Tasty Pics] v0.5 - redefined characters to remove background. You have to save and load the save to make it work.
- Indecent Desires [Vilelab] v010 alpha - removed "hardcoded" colors from character definitions, they still remain into the game script where they exist there though. Code replacement proposed by nevermoreXX @F95zone, I optimized further the code he provided.
- Bad Memories [recreation] - updated to v0.5.2, fixing a critical compatibility problem with new updated character definitions in newer versions of the game.
- Fixed a problem with the after_load section character (re-)definitions being triggered even when condition was not True
- Just Another Bubble [SuperWriter] CH1 - replaced customized dialog and input screens with default ones, so quick menu wouldn't throw an error also replaced dialog box font with Ren'Py default.
- Secret Summer [SuperWriter] v0.4 - something is causing vertical misalignment of the quick menu, custom yalign set to my quick menu as countermeasure; Default text speed set to infinity (= zero value), so the slider is working now correctly, contrary to the original game; Default text style set to my default outlined white from the game default brown that is almost invisible as narrator text; Set up missing dialog, name box and input prompt styles, replaced customized dialog screen with hardcoded properties with the Ren'Py default. The result seems much less horrible than the original. The following feature in changelog also remaps all awkward controls of this game back to defaults.
- Added a feature to my patch that remaps all control keys back to Ren'Py defaults. All additional keys defined by the dev will remain as they are. Exceptions for specific games are possible, so please report any problems with controls in specific games. Would be great if you could give me the value of config.name variable of the game, so I won't have to download the whole game to add its config.name to my exception list.
- The Warrior's Heart [Mortze] v1.0 - defined image cache size by alternative means, since Ren'Py 7.3.0.271 seems to ignore the default config.image_cache_size_mb of 300MB and crash with the out of memory error message. Modified dialog screen to use DejaVuSans font and remove the huge quick menu, added arrows, auto and quick save pages to the file slots screen (they are simply commented out in the game code).
- Fixed start label override problem that occurs when start label already has an override value in dictionary (in case of alternative story patches have been applied for example) and my patch removed it from dictionary after displaying quick menu screen. Sorry for not being able to realize it before it happened in Oceanlab's "Summer's Gone" (possibly useless since Summer's gone v3.5 ?)
- Babysitters [T4bbo] v0.0.5 - in addition to existing changes, changed dialog font to Ren'Py default DejaVuSans, size 32
- Commented out xpos statement at line 1110 in the say screen replacement for Just Another Bubble by SuperWriter, that is now incompatible with the xalign statement in Ren'Py v8 and crashes v8-based games

Download: attachment here

In case you have trouble with the newest patch version, please let me know about it and try to use v2.4.12

v2.6.4 hash:
MD5: 7047C322CA80BDD833A8296E30A651DF
SHA-1: 2EDB83EF8EC956FE824DE45C5D54696AC8D2D5DD
SHA-256: C50BD397E3F30BF712A9BBD74761E36426B3CA0989AA5A9BDA923A6F99ADE6FE
SHA-384: 47805D5A1CCE019E17055BDA7CB76F41D7DF01DD99F3724952E7620B1D16B42D54B30438A67A1DF9665778072B0552A7

hash:
MD5: ADD0D15AB681EC02A18D121EC49E2F3F
SHA-1: A9EA3385A18F531B2F3C9DEB6EF04F1B4A7CFFDA
SHA-256: CE1391ADF62182E864B2AE2C384AC41460FA6ABE800453D2D3284496F9F3FC2F
SHA-384: 545E8CCABF57636E9B043E2E64EB84ECACADA93807C0EBF2D7414067B3635474E20A54D43DF3AE2A029DCEBCEDC83C4B

Added a for restoring Ren'Py keymap in games where it's been partially disabled or messed up. It was made specifically for the Chasing Sunsets game, but works as well for other Ren'Py games.

Last edited:

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Apparently it is impossible to define constants on condition in Ren'Py. This kind of construction doesn't work:
Code:
if condition:
    define c = Character ("bla", color="#FF0000")
RenPy will just define constant "c" no matter if condition is true or false.

It means that I have to roll back versions to v2.3, that is - remove all overrides for specific games until I can figure out (or not) how to accomplish what I tried earlier.

Sorry!

Until then here are separate patch files for View of Family and Dual Family:

Reactions: evaboy01 and Unk99

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
Apparently it is impossible to define constants on condition in Ren'Py. This kind of construction doesn't work:
Code:
if condition:
    define c = Character ("bla", color="#FF0000")
RenPy will just define constant "c" no matter if condition is true or false.

It means that I have to roll back versions to v2.3, that is - remove all overrides for specific games until I can figure out (or not) how to accomplish what I tried earlier.

Sorry!

Until then here are separate patch files for View of Family and Dual Family:
just use
Code:
init:
    if config.name == "game_1":
        define c = Character("Character A", color="#ff000" )
    elif config.name == "game_2":
        define c = Character("Character B", color="#00ff00" )
    else:
        define c = Character("Character C", color="#0000ff" )
edit: and your style defs in the mod can also be done at init level, so you can have a set of styles and characters for every game you want

Reactions: Unk99

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Alright, this is excellent, I'll try just that! Thanks a lot, @the66 !

I even tried to use "old style" definitions at init level instead of "define" statements that I managed to google from Lemma forums. You know:
Code:
init:
    $ c =....
The problem was, I didnt use conditions at that level but before the init statement itself.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It was really late at night and my brain was half asleep already. After adding a bunch of definitions for Dual Family and testing it on another game (Tangled Up) I just realized that my code didn't work the way it was intended, messing up other games when used there. I just had to find a fast solution before the shit starts to hit the fan.

Now I started to read RenPy Wiki about statements and found an example of conditional definitions at init level, just like you suggested :)

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
Alright, this is excellent, I'll try just that! Thanks a lot, @the66 !

I even tried to use "old style" definitions at init level instead of "define" statements that I managed to google from Lemma forums. You know:
Code:
init:
    $ c =....
The problem was, I didnt use conditions at that level but before the init statement itself.

It was really late at night and my brain was half asleep already. After adding a bunch of definitions for Dual Family and testing it on another game (Tangled Up) I just realized that my code didn't work the way it was intended, messing up other games when used there. I just had to find a fast solution before the shit starts to hit the fan.

Now I started to read RenPy Wiki about statements and found an example of conditional definitions at init level, just like you suggested :)
you're welcome :)

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I have no idea how I couldn't figure out myself, how useless it is to put a condition in front of the init statement or define statements for that matter, instead of getting to the init level first. I mean, OK, I didn't think enough about it when I first wrote that code, but later on, when I found that it doesn't work, I should have been able to figure it out, no matter what language it is. I totally understand it now and find myself being incredibly dumb yesterday. Apparently when sleepy

Uploading a fixed version and updating OP and signature now.

U

User_10739

Thanks for this, I can't live without it now.

All I need now is a utility to unpack new games into my gaming folder and install all my goodies into the appropriate subfolders...

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
You're welcome, guys. :)

At least I know now that my patch has more than a few users. Gives me some motivation to adjust it to some more partially incompatible games that I already know about.

Reactions: Namco15

Pharan

Apr 23, 2017
I have no idea how I couldn't figure out myself, how useless it is to put a condition in front of the init statement or define statements for that matter, instead of getting to the init level first. I mean, OK, I didn't think enough about it when I first wrote that code, but later on, when I found that it doesn't work, I should have been able to figure it out, no matter what language it is. I totally understand it now and find myself being incredibly dumb yesterday. Apparently when sleepy

Uploading a fixed version and updating OP and signature now.
All programmers have been there. ;)

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Woah! Ariana Grande in F95zone?! Naah, that can't be real. :confounded:
You're some hairy dude somewhere in New Zealand or something :coldsweat:
Although I wouldn't be surprised if Ariana Grande actually did registered here. :biggrin:

The game is by Likesblondes

I guess it would be nice and correct to add it there, in the OP, too. I kinda forgot about it.

Reactions: La'Zaa

leproso0413

May 26, 2017
How do you translate a renpy game? I want to play SolValley translated into Spanish and the one that I think the game already gave me permission, but my idea is translated for me, how do you know?

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Four more games liberated from their text boxes and some tiresome-to-read fancy fonts replaced with Ren'Py default.
v2.4.3
- Override for the extremely thin and narrow font in the "Life" [Fasder] (v0.06.03) added
- Override for the outline settings forced via init python and not by redefining styles in "Parental Love" [Luxee] (v0.6) added
- Override for the tiresome to read dialogue text font in the "Life With Pleasure" [Mr.N] (v0.2) added
- Override for the character-specific text boxes in "Where The Heart Is" [CheekyGimp] (EP1 v0.06) added
Just grab it from the OP

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
If anyone has been using v2.4.3 or v2.4.4 patch, please update it to v.2.4.4.1 from the OP of this thread ASAP and don't use the faulty ones in any games!
The problem is potentially game crashing, again.

I just realized that I made the same mistake we spoke about in the beginning of this thread, only now with init python declaration instead of the plain init of Ren'Py. That problem shouldn't happen ever again.
Sorry about the screw up.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Just uploaded v2.4.5 with a few new game confs added and a few old ones improved or updated.

Changelog:
v2.4.5
- "Life With Pleasure" [Mr.N] override updated to match v0.3 of the game
- Override for the narrator's text color from black to white in "Family Matters" [Perv2k16] (v1.0) added
- "Welcome to Temptation" [CarnalCardinalGames] v0.2 cursor again replaced with a newer, slightly improved one. An option to restore normal cursor added to the conf as a last line (open y_outline.rpy in Notepad and uncomment last line in the section of this game). Possibly not working with the updated v0.2b, hasn't been tested with it.
- Added outline for the choice button text in "Deeper" [Thundorn Games] (v0.0.531)

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Changelog:
v2.4.6
- "Where The Heart Is" [CheekyGimp] overrides updated to match (EP5 / v0.07a)

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
You're welcome!

Here's a new addition to the patch:
v2.4.7
- Added outline for the choice button text in "Seraphim Academy" [Trinity Games] (Chapter 1)

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Just a tiny quick update with one line added:
v2.4.8
- "Where The "Heart Is" [CheekyGimp] overrides updated to match EP6

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
v2.4.9
- Override for the thin font in "A New Home" [Envixer] (v0.7) added
- Redesigned in-game UI to be less intrusive, smaller and more transparent in Babysitter [T4bbo] (v0.1.4)
Most extensive changes for a single game in this patch so far. Details in the comments of the conf file.
A sample of the changes:
original and patched

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes