Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Thanks, but it affects only some text, the rest still the same.
View attachment 3224642
I created my own mod which I add to most games that need it. I worked on making certain it doesn't alter the game at all. As I need things, I program t hem in myself and add to this. I made it in modules so I can easily get rid of any feature I don't need or doesn't work by deleting it as none of the files rely upon the others.

I honestly just made this for my own use, but I created a zip up with a readme inside of explaining what each file does etc... I'll attach the entire mod for anyone interested (there's an RPY for getting rid of the text box as well in this)...

View attachment Night Hacker mod.7z

Sober-man

Apr 3, 2023
I created my own mod which I add to most games that need it. I worked on making certain it doesn't alter the game at all. As I need things, I program t hem in myself and add to this. I made it in modules so I can easily get rid of any feature I don't need or doesn't work by deleting it as none of the files rely upon the others.

I honestly just made this for my own use, but I created a zip up with a readme inside of explaining what each file does etc... I'll attach the entire mod for anyone interested (there's an RPY for getting rid of the text box as well in this)...

View attachment 3224904
I guess this game (Welcum to the City) must have been written in a special way because
2.png

3.png

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I guess this game (Welcum to the City) must have been written in a special way because
View attachment 3225865

View attachment 3225871
Wow, yeah, I see what you mean. Yeah, I run across the odd game like that. It's rare though. As I said, I made that for my own use and I modify it as I go.

For a game like this, where it doesn't work, I would generally extract all the scripts (.rpy files) and I would examine the code in them and find the offending code that does that and directly reprogram it.

My "developer.rpy" file in my larger mod I posted has some code which will show you which line that text appears on, in which file etc... and then you can look at it and try and determine how he codes it (if you're able to do that anyhow). Never played that myself.

wiwem71072

Nov 25, 2019
Any idea what to do with games that define who_outlines / what_outlines in the character definition?
It appears to be impossible to override without unpacking the game and manually removing it.

Last edited:

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
The Mod is useless in "The Cabin" game. No effect at all. Still the fucking opaque textbox, there.
I wrote my own mod for use with games I play to remove that and enhance it in other ways. I just tested it with "the cabin" and it works just fine for getting rid of the text box, plus it adds an outline to the text to make it easier to read and it adds a few other things.

My mod isn't specifically for that, or any other game. Just some additional features I personally like in most games so I made this for my own use. I have added a readme text file to this 7zip which explains what all the files in it does. None of the files relies upon anything else, so if you don't want the features in one of the RPY files included, just delete it, or comment out (# sign before a line) something within the file to disable that line of code. Anyhow, I'll attach it if you're interested. It does work.

If all you want is transparent text boxed, than just the "transparent textbox.rpy" and "outlines.rpy" will be enough.

View attachment Night Hacker mod.7z

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes