RenPy saves folders

rimba

Sep 28, 2018
hi there guys..

I'm not really writing about an issue but something related in general to RenPy system. I always thought the saves files were written in the game/saves subfolder related to the main game folder itself; but yesterday I noticed a big big big RenPy folder with a lot of subfolder for each game I played in the past located in AppData/Romaing. It's something like 300 MB big and there are saves from games I deleted from my disk already!

I assume this is the normal behavior, but still I would like to know if there is some console command I could use for that. Files are basically identical, I checked a bunch of them.
My main primary disk is an SSD so I already moved the RenPy folder to an usual HD and sim-linked to AppData/Roaming folder btw..

thanks ;)

Reactions: Ssato243

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Ok I got that, but what I find weird is that those saves are basically duplicated..
Most games do not save in their game folder, if they do it's because the dev chose to do so, saves are always kept in /Appdata/ folder so if you want to delete them, you should do it there.

Reactions: rimba

rimba

Sep 28, 2018
Most games do not save in their game folder, if they do it's because the dev chose to do so, saves are always kept in /Appdata/ folder so if you want to delete them, you should do it there.
Great thanks..
To be honest I don't think I'll delete them just because they would be created again as soon as a new save happens (auto, quick or manual), so I'll stay with the simlink option and once in a while delete folders of games I'm not interested anymore.

Again, thank you for your help!

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
so i visited appdata/roaming and there is nothing there exepted a microsoft folder with a bunch of other folders, but nothing to do with any renpy saves of any games. i have played a ton of these games, so i am not sure why there are no saved files anywhere?

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
so i visited appdata/roaming and there is nothing there...
There should be a folder called RenPy in there, with folders for individual games inside. I have yet to play a Ren'Py game that doesn't also have a save folder in the games folder too.

Reactions: Ssato243

Psjhdgeusix

Aug 3, 2022
hi there guys..

I'm not really writing about an issue but something related in general to RenPy system. I always thought the saves files were written in the game/saves subfolder related to the main game folder itself; but yesterday I noticed a big big big RenPy folder with a lot of subfolder for each game I played in the past located in AppData/Romaing. It's something like 300 MB big and there are saves from games I deleted from my disk already!

I assume this is the normal behavior, but still I would like to know if there is some console command I could use for that. Files are basically identical, I checked a bunch of them.
My main primary disk is an SSD so I already moved the RenPy folder to an usual HD and sim-linked to AppData/Roaming folder btw..

thanks ;)
Can you share your folder here? I uses new window and now i needed that

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
so i visited appdata/roaming and there is nothing there exepted a microsoft folder with a bunch of other folders, but nothing to do with any renpy saves of any games. i have played a ton of these games, so i am not sure why there are no saved files anywhere?
copy/paste into your directory explorer: %appdata%\RenPy

Reactions: Neko-Chan Pacifica

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
copy/paste into your directory explorer: %appdata%\RenPy
Somehow I ended up on windows 11, so I went back to windows 10. Not sure why, but the renpy folder which initially was there completely vanished after I ended up on windows 11. I looked for it in it's usual place but it wasn't there. I went back to windows 10, and checked again and it was there untouched. Not sure if Windows 11 did something to the folder, since it was not there, even tried your method of copy/paste and nothing.
I decided from now on I will actually do a copy and paste the entire folder to another of my storage discs and just replace them once a month, so if something weird happens to the renpy folder for unknown reasons, at least I will have a backup of that folder I can just put back into it's correct location, without loosing saves. Thanks!

Neko-Chan Pacifica

Jul 6, 2021
when I was trying out the reny program itself, and trying to learn how to use it, for maybe a project sometime in the future. I did some basic stuff with the program. It created a folder which I called test. For some reason it saved in both locations, in the renpy folder and in the same /game/saves folder. I didn't select where it was meant to be saved in fact I don't remember it even asking me, it was a long time ago now though, so my memory on it is a bit hazy. I tried my own mess of a game (wasnt a game really, just me messing around with what I was trying to learn on reddit) and when i launched my own game, it worked, and had the menu as usual and was able to save, when i saved, it saved directly into the game's folder and renpy folder, no idea why it did that.