Ren'Py renpy save editor problem (for joiplay player)

sakuzuda

Nov 24, 2021

I had problem with renpy save
I'm trying to edit the save file using
or
or
, but these keep appearing. and when I press yes, nothing happen. can someone help me with this?
I'm using joiplay on android device

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
If I had to guess, based on this bit of the documentation:

I'd suggest that the latest version(s) of RenPy have started to check if save files have been manipulated.
The message is pretty clear... if you trust the changes made to your save... Click "Yes". Otherwise click "No".

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the game or the developer who created it.

Ah. Seems you're not the first to come across this.
Perhaps look at:
https://f95zone.to/threads/load-save.162138/

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The message is pretty clear... if you trust the changes made to your save... Click "Yes". Otherwise click "No".
Clear, and unclear all together. Because what the message fail to say, is that if the save have been edited, then its values will have some inconstancy, and Ren'Py will silently refuse to load it.
My guess being that, since there's the console, PyTom didn't even imagined that someone is editing the said save files.

While I'm not totally sure that the video showing what a corrupted save file can do is purely legit, there's real threats in using unknown save files, and someone knowing what he's doing can perfectly clean up you computer, install a worm or a backdoor, send your important files to a remote location, and all.
Therefore, PyTom make the right move. It's just that what follow the "yes" would perhaps merit to include an error message if ultimately Ren'Py refuse to do it because, for it, the save looks corrupted.

Sep 17, 2022
there's real threats in using unknown save files, and someone knowing what he's doing can perfectly clean up you computer, install a worm or a backdoor, send your important files to a remote location, and all.
Therefore, PyTom make the right move.
Well, you can infect an exe all the same but people on forums like this are trusting with those. I don't think complicating the save files really fixes the individual's lack of cyber-security.

The console is a pretty good option for cheats though, or potentially one of the universal mods.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Well, you can infect an exe all the same but people on forums like this are trusting with those.
People are trusting exe because they know that uploaders are testing them beforehand, and because they trust their anti-virus to protect them against infected executable.
But no one is testing save files, and an anti-virus do not care a single second about infected save files. In fact, they wouldn't even be able to detect the threat even if they were scanning the save file.

I don't think complicating the save files really fixes the individual's lack of cyber-security.
Then think again.
Not a single anti-virus would notice a bunch of Python lines in plain text that would randomly change few Bytes in a randomly selected number of files. Yet it's something that can come from a Ren'Py save file and be injected into the game you are playing.
Obviously I'll not say how, nor even hint to it.

Edit: :ROFLMAO: love you too baby.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: InnocentLurker
Sep 17, 2022
People are trusting exe because they know that uploaders are testing them beforehand, and because they trust their anti-virus to protect them against infected executable.
There are a million things an anti-virus won't cover and it is objectively stupid to run any exe without a deeper scan, significantly worse to trust a file you can't scan, but we all do it anyway, so what I'm saying is that complicating the save files hasn't made viruses any less likely for someone who uses the internet casually.

• Angry
Reactions: anne O'nymous

Bse

Aug 1, 2019
Clear, and unclear all together. Because what the message fail to say, is that if the save have been edited, then its values will have some inconstancy, and Ren'Py will silently refuse to load it.
My guess being that, since there's the console, PyTom didn't even imagined that someone is editing the said save files.

While I'm not totally sure that the video showing what a corrupted save file can do is purely legit, there's real threats in using unknown save files, and someone knowing what he's doing can perfectly clean up you computer, install a worm or a backdoor, send your important files to a remote location, and all.
Therefore, PyTom make the right move. It's just that what follow the "yes" would perhaps merit to include an error message if ultimately Ren'Py refuse to do it because, for it, the save looks corrupted.
Can you post a link for PyTom? THX

Bse

Aug 1, 2019
:WaitWhat:

It's a person, there isn't links to a person, persons are not a property, it's illegal...
OK thx was Missunderstanding. And no Person are Property. USA and so on.. all are slave in a different view. So this is my mind to owner of of a human... In VR it is OK RL different story and nope to RL. If you get it.

Jun 16, 2023
Been following this thread for a while now with different workarounds. For joiplay, the console and the universal renpy mod worked best! No hassle with editing files or anything

Reactions: Bse