Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Persistent Data for Steam Cloud Sync

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Notice: I finally confirmed you can simply use * as your cloud sync pattern.
Do not use this if you can do that.

Note: This patch only applies to you if you are:
  1. Developing a game in Ren'Py
  2. Intend to or have released on Steam
  3. Intend to make use of Steam Cloud
  • If any of these do not apply to you, neither does this thread.

Issue: To my understanding, Steam Cloud requires a file to have an extension in order to be synced. This means that Ren'Py's "persistent" file is normally impossible to sync.

What this does: This patch attempts to work around that issue by copying your persistent data to a "cloud_persistent.save" file which is possible to sync over Steam Cloud. There's also a little extra in there which should help prevent two different persistent files from overwriting each other when synced.

How to use: This patch may simply be dropped into the game folder and used without any configuration or modification necessary. You are of course welcome to modify, distribute, and otherwise use this code as you wish without any restriction whatsoever ( ).

Reporting Issues: Simply reply to this thread with any related information (how you installed the patch, Ren'Py version, etc) and I will try to help where I can. I, however, make no promises that I will be capable of, willing to, or have the time to individually assist every issue.

Compatibility: This was built for and tested on Ren'Py 7.4.4.1439. If you are running a different version and encounter issues, please let me know and I will look into it. To maximize compatibility, I tried to use as many calls as possible that are built into Ren'Py, however I can not promise compatibility with future or past versions.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

frozenfeet

Aug 2, 2019
This is a good idea but would you happen to know how to turn off the sync feature? What I mean is to stop it from making saves in the sync folder not uploading them to steam.

Because if I am making saves in appdata and saves in side the games folder then there are now saves inside the sync folder if I have 300 of pages of saves that means I now have 900 pages of saves and I do have games with 300 pages of saves some with even more, fortunately I already turn off the appdata saves just need to get rid of the sync saves now.

Reactions: Twistty

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
This is a good idea but would you happen to know how to turn off the sync feature? What I mean is to stop it from making saves in the sync folder not uploading them to steam.

Because if I am making saves in appdata and saves in side the games folder then there are now saves inside the sync folder if I have 300 of pages of saves that means I now have 900 pages of saves and I do have games with 300 pages of saves some with even more, fortunately I already turn off the appdata saves just need to get rid of the sync saves now.
As you already know, RenPy makes saves in both Appdata and game/saves.

I don't think Steam itself has a third folder which it keeps a backup of saves in (I see no reason for it make an extra full copy), but I'd bet the only way to disable that one would be to disable Cloud Saves in Steam.

If you're asking about this particular file, it does not make another folder with saves. It only clones the persistent file and masks it as a save such that Steam will sync it. It does not clone the full folder.

frozenfeet

Aug 2, 2019
I'm not using any of the games in steam, so it has to be a Ren'py setting. Also you are right it isn't making a full copy of all my saves.

In my normal save folder I have 145 pages of saves and and the sync folder copied the last nine pages and the auto saves along with the persistent file so it isn't quite as bad as I thought but I still want to turn it off.

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
I'm not using any of the games in steam, so it has to be a Ren'py setting. Also you are right it isn't making a full copy of all my saves.

In my normal save folder I have 145 pages of saves and and the sync folder copied the last nine pages and the auto saves along with the persistent file so it isn't quite as bad as I thought but I still want to turn it off.
I do not know what you are talking about with a sync folder. There are only two folders that Renpy saves to, and you've already described them both.

You said you've turned off the appdata saves, so the only folder left to store them should be the game/saves folder.

If you are playing any particular game which has an extra saves folder, that's non-standard and you should contact its dev about that.

frozenfeet

Aug 2, 2019
- this page - new feature Ren'py sync, apparently has nothing to do with Steam which I thought it did at first. But it is a way to synchronize save games between computers, phones and the web. Still want if off though.