• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'py games fail to start when I try to run them in "sandboxie"

Dec 14, 2018
I'm using win 10 and just like to have additional protection. Anybody had same problem ?
No error message and no window - games just crash into nothing.

Dec 14, 2018
Thanks for reply!
I know that programs like vmware/virtualbox exist :confused: but it takes additional time to boot OS inside it every time.
It's just strange that 95+% of games I tried can run in sandboxie. But not a single Ren'py game.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
According to Tom, its creator, Ren'py is already sandboxed: it can access only the folder where the .exe is and the one where the saves are stored (...\AppData\Roaming\Renpy\THE_GAME_NAME). But a bad guy could have hacked or injected some malware in the .exe or in the "renpy" or "lib" folders. So what to do?

A solution is: do what people do when a game doesn't run on their OS (because of lack of libraries). Visit the official Ren'py site, download the SDK and create a new project. This will have a folder, "game", and iirc a file, "log.txt": replace that folder with the one of the same name you have downloaded from here, then launch the project.

The VM solution is safer, ça va sans dire.

Edit: did you look for a solution on the official ? Probably there is already one. Or, if you post there, chances are that Tom himself will answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teddythepervert

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
I understand you guys want to have protection and everything. If we get a report of any of the games having a virus or malware, we take it seriously. If we do find it, we remove it and ban the user that uploaded it.

This is a rough number but I would say at least 60-70% of all games that get uploaded here, come right from the source (steam, DLSite, etc). The remaining come from torrents or other places. We do our best to make sure nothing has a virus in it. But if you find one, report the thread immediately. In the 2 years that I have been staff here, I think there has only been one case of someone actually trying to distribute a virus/malware.

But as people have mentioned. The best bet is a VM. I use one when I get any games from questionable sources.

Budokai

Jul 16, 2017
What if instead of worrying about virus, the worry is about privacy. As mentioned before, renpy games tend to create persistent folders in AppData/Roaming.... If have a shared computer and would not want to leave any trace of this games sandboxie is a convenient solution, I am aware VM is better, but requires a time and effort to set up initially that I don´t want to invest

Reactions: johnconnor

tester1234

Jun 19, 2017
I just upgraded from win7 to win10. (with a fresh installation, not using the upgrade option)
Now sandboxie isn't working anymore.

But I found an temporary solution Budokai : run the "<Game Name>.exe" in the lib/windows-i686 folder via Sandbox instead of the "<Game Name>.exe" in the root directory.

It would be good to know what the difference between the two executables is.

whippetmaster

Oct 4, 2018
I just upgraded from win7 to win10. (with a fresh installation, not using the upgrade option)
Now sandboxie isn't working anymore.

But I found an temporary solution Budokai : run the "<Game Name>.exe" in the lib/windows-i686 folder via Sandbox instead of the "<Game Name>.exe" in the root directory.

It would be good to know what the difference between the two executables is.
The windows-i686 version is for the 32 bit OS
The root directory .exe is the 64 bit executable.
Means your sandboxie for some reason wants to only run 32 bit ren'py executables.

***games work without any problems without sandboxie.
but i would really like to have some protection.
Sounds like sandboxie is shutting it down without even running it. Try running the lib/win-i686 .exe and see if it'll only run the 32 bit. If it does run and your Windows is 64 bit, then that means the problem is with sandboxie and they need to fix that.

Reactions: Teddythepervert
Dec 14, 2018
I tried to run executable in "lib\windows-i686" folder and it worked ! Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!
Same game is not starting if I just try to run regular exe from folder of the game.

Reactions: Dafuking