Tool Ren'Py Renpy Gallery module

zn_employee

Oct 6, 2020
Helo. I've been working on this gallery project as a starting point in learning renpy. Primary goal is for me to learn renpy, and for gallery to be a nice default for renpy games. It's a WIP for the moment and I'm looking for feedback since I'm just starting with renpy and don't know if I'm missing some important optimization or technique. Here's the link to github repo .
(In case you don't know how to work with git, you can click on code -> download zip to get files, after that just place .rpy wherever in your project)

Project stages:
  1. Basic functionality on desktop:
    1. Open gallery with images;
    2. Have full-size images as valid destinations;
    3. Have labels as valid destinations (untested, return might be tricky with generic labels);
    4. Allow basic customization.
  2. Proper functionality on desktop:
    1. Filters based on dev-defined tags;
    2. Filters based on dev-defined characters - not sure about this one, maybe allow multiple tag sets, but that would complicate and slow down algo;
    3. Complete feasible customisation - ability to style everything that dev could want to style, and do it in a nice performant and unified-ish way.
  3. Mobile support:
    1. Basic renpy variants support;
    2. Portrait mode support - not sure how many games use this.
  4. Touch ups, feature requests:
    1. Styling defaults might change - current style is very much programmer art, partly because it has to be adapted to a game, partly because I'm programmer;
    2. Maybe built-in themes?
    3. Any feature requests unless they take priority beforehand.

Few things I haven't yet discovered how to do nicely:
  • Allow easier styling without passing every param through arguments; there seem to be scene variables, but I couldn't make them work unless I set them directly before opening gallery menu, which is comparable to passing everything as args.

Feel free to suggest features and additions, in case they fit with main project goal - being nice starting (and maybe finishing) point for galleries in renpy projects, I'll probably include it. Code is MIT licensed so you're free to change and use it however you want for yourself. Btw you can (probably) easily mod this into any existing renpy game to add basic gallery support, but you will have to do the legwork of adding each image\scene. In case you haven't noticed this project is heavily influenced by Eternum's gallery so it'll likely end up with a very similar feature-set (filters, scrollable viewgrid rather than paging).

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiritCookie

zn_employee

Oct 6, 2020
There's been an update:
  • primary change is support for tags and characters (both function pretty much same, just use different lists). At this stage it's required to specify both tag and char lists on each gallery object;
  • theme improvements;
Same as before, it's still an alpha and more breaking changes might happen

Reactions: Mock1ngb1rd