• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'py Console Help

BOH56

May 27, 2017
So. With the(Stupid) "Upgrade" to the system preventing us from accessing our saves, we need to use console commands, simple enough mostly, the problem comes when the variable has a '>' in it. Is there anyway to edit said variables with console, cause trying to do it the same way as other variables gets you the file <string>'', line 1 : expected statement error,

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
[...] the problem comes when the variable has a '>' in it.
Strictly speaking, variable names can only one of the 26 letters, upper and lower case, one of the 10 digits, but not in first place, and the underscore. Ren'Py would complain and refuse to even starts the game if there's another character in the said variable name.
There's way to get around this limitation, but it's dirty and I really don't see a game doing it because it over complicate the coding part for absolutely no benefits.

BOH56

May 27, 2017
T
Strictly speaking, variable names can only one of the 26 letters, upper and lower case, one of the 10 digits, but not in first place, and the underscore. Ren'Py would complain and refuse to even starts the game if there's another character in the said variable name.
There's way to get around this limitation, but it's dirty and I really don't see a game doing it because it over complicate the coding part for absolutely no benefits.
That doesn't exactly help me when its keeping me from using console on a variable and the damn new so called 'upgrade' is preventing me from doing anything to my save

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Uh... What are you trying to do, exactly? Why are you trying to edit variable names? That doesn't sound like a good idea (other than being pointless to do), as for the ">" in the variable name, it seems like a typo to me. ">" is one of the relational operators, and therefore it cannot be used as part of the variable's name.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
That doesn't exactly help me when its keeping me from using console on a variable
It prevent you to do it because, like Winterfire and I both said, there's no ">" in the name of the variable.
I guess you saw a line like if whatever>=x and believe that the variable is named "whatever>" when it's named "whatever". The operator being >= and not = that is an assignation and therefore will never appear in a condition.

Reactions: Winterfire

BOH56

May 27, 2017
It prevent you to do it because, like Winterfire and I both said, there's no ">" in the name of the variable.
I guess you saw a line like if whatever>=x and believe that the variable is named "whatever>" when it's named "whatever". The operator being >= and not = that is an assignation and therefore will never appear in a condition.
I know why its stopping me. I'm asking what I should actually use -_-. God I hate this stupid fucking 'upgrade'

Uh... What are you trying to do, exactly? Why are you trying to edit variable names? That doesn't sound like a good idea (other than being pointless to do), as for the ">" in the variable name, it seems like a typo to me. ">" is one of the relational operators, and therefore it cannot be used as part of the variable's name.
Inventory>Creds=

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I know why its stopping me. I'm asking what I should actually use -_-.
Well, strictly speaking, there's nothing to use in place of characters that have nothing to do where they are.

God I hate this stupid fucking 'upgrade'
Upgrade of what ?

Python exist since 1991, while Ren'Py exist since 2004, and both never accepted ">" as character for a variable name, nor used it for something else than an operator.

Inventory>Creds=
And why don't you ask in the place where you've seen that ? Because this don't come from Ren'Py, in fact it don't even come from a coding language nor from a coder.

All this being said, put a fucking dot in place of the ">" .

Nothsor

Jul 20, 2017
So. With the(Stupid) "Upgrade" to the system preventing us from accessing our saves, we need to use console commands, simple enough mostly, the problem comes when the variable has a '>' in it. Is there anyway to edit said variables with console, cause trying to do it the same way as other variables gets you the file <string>'', line 1 : expected statement error,
I had a game that the save editor showed the line as amy > swimwear 2 to change it I had to type it as amy.swimwear=3 hope this helps