Ren'Py Ren'Py Animations/Renders won't play anymore

bullman89

Nov 17, 2017
So a few days ago I was playing Waifu Academy and everything was going fine. The next day I see that I need to update my graphics driver, and there are a few other windows updates (non of which I remember the name of). So i update everything, restart my pc, then start playing again, and I notice that the animations are not playing anymore. And this isn't restricted to just Waifu Academy, as animations don't play in either of the Max's Life games either. This has puzzled me for days as I can't find a solution online, and even rolling back the graphics update hasn't worked unless I need to completely reinstall the drivers from scratch. Also there are no errors or anything, the games work fine, but when the animation is supposed to occur, it either shows a placeholder image, or a black screen. I'm running on Windows 7 64 bit if that matters, need any other information just ask.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

Supernova0990

Jan 14, 2019
I also have the same problem. I have this problem with Milfy City and Acting Lessons.
The games run fine never had a problem with it, but whenever an animation is supposed to come up the game just goes black and I get text. I can still click on it to progress the game but I can't see anything.
Is there anything I can do to solve this? I've also seen the links but I have no idea what to do with them.

bullman89

Nov 17, 2017
I also have the same problem. I have this problem with Milfy City and Acting Lessons.
The games run fine never had a problem with it, but whenever an animation is supposed to come up the game just goes black and I get text. I can still click on it to progress the game but I can't see anything.
Is there anything I can do to solve this? I've also seen the links but I have no idea what to do with them.
Well although I haven't found I definite fix, a somewhat "solution" I found is going into the compatibility menu and running the game in compatibility mode for windows 7, and running it as an administrator. But this works for me, not sure if it'll work for you but I hope it does

Supernova0990

Jan 14, 2019
Well although I haven't found I definite fix, a somewhat "solution" I found is going into the compatibility menu and running the game in compatibility mode for windows 7, and running it as an administrator. But this works for me, not sure if it'll work for you but I hope it does
This also works for me, thank you so much for repyling!

Umgenlied

Sep 3, 2017
I can't bloody believe it but i solved it connecting my goddamned earphones on the computer. This was like, my last attempt since i tried all i could think of, and just after i remembered some rpg games wouldn't even launch if they didn't saw an audio entry.

So there it is, if anyone's having this issue, it's worth at least a try just in case.

bullman89

Nov 17, 2017
I can't bloody believe it but i solved it connecting my goddamned earphones on the computer. This was like, my last attempt since i tried all i could think of, and just after i remembered some rpg games wouldn't even launch if they didn't saw an audio entry.

So there it is, if anyone's having this issue, it's worth at least a try just in case.
Were they USB headphones or audio jack headphone/earbuds? Because I have a usb headset plugged in and I still have issues without using my method.

Umgenlied

Sep 3, 2017
Were they USB headphones or audio jack headphone/earbuds? Because I have a usb headset plugged in and I still have issues without using my method.
Audio jack ones. Did you try updating all of your drivers? there can also be something missing related to gaming playability, like Directx, .NET Framework and stuff, Drive Booster is a decent program for doing that, it updates and installs all of what you need.

I think it should work for you, i have W7 64 bits but all of my PC Computers are VERY obsolete(my graphic card has only half a gb of memory and my mother board can't deal with any gpu better than the FX-6350). So if my little computer can handle it, i think any other can.

bullman89

Nov 17, 2017
Audio jack ones. Did you try updating all of your drivers? there can also be something missing related to gaming playability, like Directx, .NET Framework and stuff, Drive Booster is a decent program for doing that, it updates and installs all of what you need.

I think it should work for you, i have W7 64 bits but all of my PC Computers are VERY obsolete(my graphic card has only half a gb of memory and my mother board can't deal with any gpu better than the FX-6350). So if my little computer can handle it, i think any other can.
Unfortunately I have tried updating almost everything I could think of, but none of those really worked. I would probably have to wipe my whole system and start from scratch to get it working the way it's supposed to, but it's no biggy, I got it working even if it is just a temporary solution.

bigboii

Oct 4, 2017

Doing a necro in this thread just to say that was exactly my problem, Renpy is so weird

Reactions: bullman89

ascid1

Sep 29, 2018

OH My God this worked, been all over the web for the last 3 days and nothing then just stumbled across this and it worked. Thanks for your share. :)

kos77303

Nov 9, 2017

Thank you so much !!
I can't believe it. Such a simple solution, and here i was trying for 3 hours yesterday installing drivers and whatnot.
They should really put this in the renpy FAQ