Ren'py 7.4.4

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
Hmm. DirectX 9 support OpenGL ES 2.0, but the problem is more complex than that. The support is "as long as the video card is compatible". Have you tried to update the drivers for the GPU/video card ?
You run windows 7 with 4GB RAM, what let me guess that you've an old computer. It's not a shame, but it's reaching the limits nowadays.

This being said:

The screenshot clearly show that the game was forced to use openGL 2. And it's possible that it's in fact not necessary ; everything depend of what the game use. This would offer you the possibility to use OpenGL or ANGLE in their version 1.0, therefore Ren'py as in all the other games you can play.
  1. Create a file named gl2-fix.rpy.
  2. Open it with notepad.
  3. Put this inside:
    Code:
    init python:
    config.gl2 = False
    You can copy/paste, but if you decide to write it by yourself, do not use tabulations, only spaces.
  4. Save the file.
  5. Keep a copy somewhere safe.

Now, each time you find a game like this one, that don't works and only propose you to choose between OpenGL 2.0 and ANGLE 2.0, copy the file into the "[path to the game]/game" directory. It's the directory where there's the "rpy" and/or "rpyc" and/or "rpa" files.
It will revert Ren'Py to a "none 2.0 only" version. Perhaps that the game will crash because it really need OpenGL 2.0 or ANGLE 2.0, but I know for sure that it's not always the case, so it should permit you to still play some of them.

Except buying a new computer, it's all that can be done, alas.

Edit: Wow, sorry, didn't noticed the post format was such a mess.
Hey did I put this in the right place?

Also if I put that file in the right place would the same error show up?

1654536978073.png

Ifartedtoolong

Feb 27, 2022
Hey did I put this in the right place?
The file you circled isn't a .RPY file it's a text document so it's probably not going to work. You could make a copy of a existing .RPY file delete it's content and transfer the gl2-fix.rpy content to the .RPY copy and then rename and save it.

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
The file you circled isn't a .RPY file it's a text document so it's probably not going to work. You could make a copy of a existing .RPY file delete it's content and transfer the gl2-fix.rpy content to the .RPY copy and then rename and save it.
Go to and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" to edit out the .txt extension.
Thank you both. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I finally fixed my internet today and it took all day to do it so no more computer wrestling today fo me.

Jun 8, 2022
I'm having some issues like this too, and I remember looking for a solution in a forum. Apparenly it's because your PC is too old for running the most recent version of Ren'Py. Also, since Microsoft have discontinued Windows 7, and Windows 11 is already in the market, then probably it's a key factor too for the errors. This is my personal experience, probably you have a better PC than I do, yet I don't fully understand this matter, if I'm honest.

nad destroyer

Jul 27, 2017
ok so I used Ifartedtoolong's solution and this is what happened. I couldn't figure out how to edit the file type for Viggy's fix.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 210708.png

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Replace his file with mine or edit the file with any text editor, eg. Notepad.

You can copy and paste this little code block into Viggy's file.
Code:
init offset = 1
define config.gl2 = False

Reactions: Brocho

snes4life

Oct 12, 2018
Hmm. DirectX 9 support OpenGL ES 2.0, but the problem is more complex than that. The support is "as long as the video card is compatible". Have you tried to update the drivers for the GPU/video card ?
You run windows 7 with 4GB RAM, what let me guess that you've an old computer. It's not a shame, but it's reaching the limits nowadays.

This being said:

The screenshot clearly show that the game was forced to use openGL 2. And it's possible that it's in fact not necessary ; everything depend of what the game use. This would offer you the possibility to use OpenGL or ANGLE in their version 1.0, therefore Ren'py as in all the other games you can play.
  1. Create a file named gl2-fix.rpy.
  2. Open it with notepad.
  3. Put this inside:
    Code:
    init python:
    config.gl2 = False
    You can copy/paste, but if you decide to write it by yourself, do not use tabulations, only spaces.
  4. Save the file.
  5. Keep a copy somewhere safe.

Now, each time you find a game like this one, that don't works and only propose you to choose between OpenGL 2.0 and ANGLE 2.0, copy the file into the "[path to the game]/game" directory. It's the directory where there's the "rpy" and/or "rpyc" and/or "rpa" files.
It will revert Ren'Py to a "none 2.0 only" version. Perhaps that the game will crash because it really need OpenGL 2.0 or ANGLE 2.0, but I know for sure that it's not always the case, so it should permit you to still play some of them.

Except buying a new computer, it's all that can be done, alas.

Edit: Wow, sorry, didn't noticed the post format was such a mess.
thank you this has so far fixed the problem