Others Regarding the site online rules

Ellabelle322

Game Developer
Feb 15, 2020
If the game automatically downloads new patches does that break the site rules? (The game is still playable offline after syncing with the latest version)

"*Any Online only or Multiplayer requests will be denied and deleted."

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot :|

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I wouldn't think so, but usually, games that are like that tend to also be more professional. I've dabbled with adding a similar feature to my games so users don't have to actually care about following me and still get new content, so I would be disappointed if that prevented my game from being shared on this site. If anything most games that may do this at an indie level may be able to upload a patch system thanks to some game engines, but I have only just covered the surface of the topic.

Reactions: Ellabelle322

Ellabelle322

Game Developer
Feb 15, 2020
I wouldn't think so, but usually, games that are like that tend to also be more professional. I've dabbled with adding a similar feature to my games so users don't have to actually care about following me and still get new content, so I would be disappointed if that prevented my game from being shared on this site. If anything most games that may do this at an indie level may be able to upload a patch system thanks to some game engines, but I have only just covered the surface of the topic.
So... you think it's okay?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
"*Any Online only or Multiplayer requests will be denied and deleted."
I would read that as being that as long as the game can be played without an internet connection... it's fine.
The key point is "Online ONLY".

So for example, if your game has a check to see if a new version was available...
If it did a version check when there was no internet connection and just ran the game anyway... I'm sure that'd be fine.
If it wouldn't run the game because there was no internet connection... I'm sure that probably wouldn't be.

I'm almost certain that using an online check of the version number would be okay, even if that included downloading a patch file so the game can update itself. As long as the gameplay itself didn't need an internet connection. (ie. the game is offline, even if the launcher did an online check).

However, rather than it being an automatic check... you might want to consider making it a [Check for Update...] type button... so that the game never connected to the internet without the player specifically asking it to.

My opinion is mostly based on the fact that lots of Unity games try to "phone home" when they start... Mainly to update Unity's usage stats. But if the game is blocked by the user's firewall... the game still works. Those games make their way to this site too.

People can get a bit twitchy when they notice seemingly "offline" games connecting to the internet. They start wondering what information is being gathered and whether the game includes some sort of malware.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
However, rather than it being an automatic check... you might want to consider making it a [Check for Update...] type button... so that the game never connected to the internet without the player specifically asking it to.
Yes - that! Much friendlier not to do something without asking the user's permission.

My opinion is mostly based on the fact that lots of Unity games try to "phone home" when they start... Mainly to update Unity's usage stats. But if the game is blocked by the user's firewall... the game still works. Those games make their way to this site too.

People can get a bit twitchy when they notice seemingly "offline" games connecting to the internet. They start wondering what information is being gathered and whether the game includes some sort of malware.
Yes, I have experience with that. The information that Unity can collect for you can actually be really valuable if you're trying to be serious about game development - if you set it up right, it can show you stats on what paths people are taking more often, what platforms they're running on, etc. etc., all of which can help you tune your game, or make more of the content people seem to be liking. But, at the same time, a LOT of people get VERY twitchy about that kind of thing, even if you're completely upfront about what you're collecting and why. People basically don't like anybody leaning over their shoulder when they're playing... "adult material."

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Also, neglected to mention that some people have metered connections, and don't want to burn bandwidth there. They might prefer to defer the "check for updates" until they're on an unmetered connection.