Tutorial RAGS Regalia - Enhanced RAGS 2.x Player For The Browser

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

foursnacks

Jul 21, 2017
I've worked through all the bugs in The Sinner that I know about and it should now be 100% completable in Regalia.

Hosted version:
Downloadable:
  • (open the .html file that ends in ' - regalia' to get started)
Please report any bugs you encounter. I'll probably try to work on Superpowered next (just because it's got so many bugs) but I'm open to suggestions.
This is just me speaking, I wouldn't touch Superpowered unless:
* you plan on fixing actual bugs in Superpowered (like the one I kept hitting when dealing with The Pixy), *and*
* if you think there is a market for a fixed Superpowered (not sure there is much of one because NCP has a fairly successful ren'py version of it.

As a consumer, I'm thinking I'd rather see you work on the tool that converts RAGS games by making it easier to convert. If you can develop that tool so that it is almost turnkey then others can convert games and the burden won't be on you.

Or you could leave things lie and work on converting Wifetrainer to a new system. You found a way to convert RAGS games to javascript system, and added a cheat engine. Take a step back in the process and see if you can create a method of adding new content to Wifetrainer (or to other RAGS games). Wouldn't it be cool if you could write and add new characters to the story?

If you can do that, then you may have completed a huge chunk of the Wifetrainer developer's request for a new system that is "open source."

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
I'm working on Superpowered mostly because it has a big stack of easily-observable bugs near the start of the game. If I fix some of these bugs it's likely to fix issues issues are present but harder to observe in othe games.

Every RAGS game exercises a slightly different subset of the commands and the authors tend to stick with it the whole way through. This meant that The Sinner was basically 100% completable once the first 25% was working, and Wife Trainer seems to be mostly good because it doesn't do a lot of exotic things with the engine. But there's often small areas later in games (like the dream sequences in Mindshift, or the minigames in Sinner) that exercise alternate approaches and break.

Aside from that, a turnkey solution for game conversion would definitely be helpful, but a key part of the system right now requires you have a registered or hacked RAGS designer, and that you have the password to a RAGS game or have hacked the password protection away. It's within the realm of technical possibility to create a standalone conversion program you could use on a .rag file that dumps the content into JS and then adds all the Regalia code, but it would be a big effort for such a little-used language. , and new RAGS releases don't happen that frequently.

I've thought a lot about Wifetrainer's open game aspirations, and while it's interesting to think about, I'm skeptical there will be enough quality contributors to make the engineering effort worthwhile. A lot of people like the game because of the cohesiveness of the game and the variety of post-client content, and that stuff could get really messy if multiple people were trying to add to it separately.

One approach could involve keeping the RAGS syntax and data flow but working on additional design tools, or at least other ways for multiple collaborators to add content. But even if that worked out perfectly, I think the RAGS data flow gives too many opportunities for contributors to mess up each other's additions to the game.

I had hoped with this project to generate some tools that RAGS developers could use to more easily develop their games, like seeing diffs between versions and verifying the behavior with automated tests. But so far I just seem to have triggered a mammoth replatforming discussion :|

Last edited:

silent1584

Jul 6, 2017
am i the only having trouble playing overseer it stops and does not let me continue after im supposed to get sent to hive

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
am i the only having trouble playing overseer it stops and does not let me continue after im supposed to get sent to hive
I haven't tested much with this game so it definitely has severe problems right now.

Give it a week or two and maybe I'll have worked out some of the bugs.

warkies

Jul 20, 2017
To OP/Dev of this mervel:
You just enabled me to play favorite games on phone which is basically everything I've wanted. Amazing work and thank you for all the effort you put into this :)

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
To OP/Dev of this mervel:
You just enabled me to play favorite games on phone which is basically everything I've wanted. Amazing work and thank you for all the effort you put into this :)
Wow, the text and actions must be very small! I certainly didn't optimize for that case but I'm happy if you're getting something out of it. Let me know if there's interface improvements you think that would help.

In other news, here's the latest version :

Changes:
  • Fixes some of the early showstopping bugs early on in Superpowered. I find playing Superpowered a little annoying, so I haven't seen what other bugs there are later in the game yet.
  • Supports custom up/down images for games that provide them (Wife Trainer, Superpowered).
  • Probably fixes other bugs and hopefully doesn't cause more

Extract this into the root folder for any Regalia game you've downloaded previously and it should replace the right stuff. Note that the file you use to launch the game is now just regalia.html -- if you launch it with the old file (e.g. TheSinner - regalia.html) it WILL NOT WORK. You should just go ahead and delete that file.

Additionally, I've updated all these hosted copies:

Mostly Tested:
Not Really Tested:

Last edited:

warkies

Jul 20, 2017
Wow, the text and actions must be very small! I certainly didn't optimize for that case but I'm happy if you're getting something out of it. Let me know if there's interface improvements you think that would help.

In other news, here's the latest version :

Changes:
  • Fixes some of the early showstopping bugs early on in Superpowered. I find playing Superpowered a little annoying, so I haven't seen what other bugs there are later in the game yet.
  • Supports custom up/down images for games that provide them (Wife Trainer, Superpowered).
  • Probably fixes other bugs and hopefully doesn't cause more

Extract this into the root folder for any Regalia game you've downloaded previously and it should replace the right stuff. Note that the file you use to launch the game is now just regalia.html -- if you launch it with the old file (e.g. TheSinner - regalia.html) it WILL NOT WORK. You should just go ahead and delete that file.

Additionally, I've updated all these hosted copies:

Mostly Tested:
Not Really Tested:

Thank you :)
I tried it online and the only trouble is slow load on pics but that's probably on my end. Gonna try it offline but it seems I had little trouble extracting the game. Will try again and let you know what happens :)

warkies

Jul 20, 2017
This happens when I try offline on phone. I will delete and try again just in case. I had no problems with online version though

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
I looked at Overseer and was able to play through successfully to the hive, at least on the latest version.

If you successfully answer 'Yes Mistress' to the Scary woman, there's actually a 70 second delay you need to wait through before 'Continue' shows up and lets you go on to the rest of the game. Normally, the game would be playing a (really terrible) video at that time, but Regalia doesn't support videos yet. (They'd need to be transcoded for the web, and this is the first video I've seen so far (Evil, Inc's "videos" are gifs)). But I'm open to exploring it if other games use it well.

mattius77

May 16, 2017
I found a neat bork inn the Wife Trainer mod.

If you set Client Engagement Length to, say, 100 weeks, and then set End Engagement By, say, week 48, when week 48 arrives you can summon ladies by both Arrange Session and Contact Someone Else (if you're able to have post-engagement actions).

And if you do that, the lady remains in the Visible Characters menu and is available for interaction throughout the week. So you can set yourself up with a very lively Monday, and then just slut-fuck your way through the rest of the week. Woohoo.

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
Released a new version - 0.6

Extract the contents into a Regalia game directory

CHANGELOG
  • For games with "Live" timers (timers that fire in realtime instead of a certain amount of turns), Regalia now lists the active live timers in the lower-right corner of the pic panel. You can click on a live timer to attempt to skip past it, for games with irritating intro sequences mostly (MINDSHIFT).
  • Fixes a bug in Overseer where certain characters could not be turned into drones
  • Fixes a bug where dismissing the actions menu on an inventory item would cause it to not be selectable again until you chose a different item

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
Minor version bump - 0.7

• Fix hardcoded Wife Trainer title in regalia.html. Wife Trainer is great, but not all games are Wife Trainer.
  • For games that don't declare a title (like Mindshift), consider the current subdirectory to be the game's title
  • Disable Save/Load when being prompted to input data or continue (because it's likely to bork things up)

Reactions: Eoin and muttdoggy

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
Bump for The Sinner 0.16. I can confirm that it's 100% completable with Regalia, though just as with the windows RAGS client you'll want to dump your old saves before playing.

Hosted:
Downloadable:

Reactions: Davidreiter

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
Pretty big bug in the last release was causing savegames from different games to clobber each other. They're meant to be isolated.

Fixed in

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
Any chance you could update the web games regalia version to the latest one, some of them are still on v0.5.

P.S. When you have time can you check what's the problem with the following errors in The Apartments 0.022:
1) When you start the game and select Quick Start you get "can't supply flags when constructing one RegExp from another" and "Rags can not process the command correctly. If you are the game author, please correct the error in this command:CT_VARIABLE_SET_JAVASCRIPT" a few times and then the game continues.
2) When you try to give an event item to one of the girls (like the Pink Vibrator to Jessie) you get a CONTINUE button and when you click on it it trigers "can't supply flags when constructing one RegExp from another" followed by "Rags can not process the command correctly. If you are the game author, please correct the error in this command:CT_JAVA_SET_RAGS" and then back to the CONTINUE button.

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
When you have time can you check what's the problem with the following errors in The Apartments 0.022
Interesting. I can't seem to reproduce the problem so I'll need more info.
  • Is this on the web or downloadable version?
  • What does it say the Regalia version is?
  • What browser / OS?
  • Does the error happen immediately after 'Quick Start', or after you do something else?
  • Does the game otherwise work if you start with 'New Game' instead of 'Quick Start'?

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
  • Both web (v0.5) and offline (v0.8.1)
  • / Win7
  • Right after clicking on 'Quick Start'.
  • Yes it works fine until you try to give an event item to one of the girls.
P.S. It seems to be browser related problem because I can't reproduce it on FireFox v56.0.1.

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
It seems to be browser related problem because I can't reproduce it on FireFox v56.0.1.
Fixed this issue, though this is the first I've ever heard of PaleMoon so I can't be certain there aren't other issues.

Here's a new regalia with some fixes:

• Fixes crash in PaleMoon browser when CT_VARIABLE_SET_JAVASCRIPT operation was performed (The Apartments)
  • Actions menu should no longer run off the bottom of the screen when a lot of actions are present
  • A special error message is shown when you run out of localStorage quota for saves (5MB, in Chrome)

I played a lot of Wife Trainer in Regalia and the game worked properly the whole way through. I'm sure there's some obscure problems lurking in there, but it's very hard to test all combinations of things because it's such a complicated game. Until I learn otherwise, I'm declaring Wife Trainer 100% playable in Regalia.

I could work more on the savegame format to allow a larger number of saves before hitting the quota, or try to leverage other browser APIs that allow more storage. I started hitting the quota around my 70th Wife Trainer save, near endgame. But the quota is shared across all games being served on the same domain, so if you play a lot of RAGS games in the same browser you will hit it faster.

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes