Daz Reflected Water light is all grainy

JohnSheridan

Apr 13, 2018
This isn't the perfect lighting set up but I was just doing some tests and the water reflecting the light is all grainy and looks odd.
I did a 1 hour render and a 2 hour render and both were basically the same.
I don't really know where to start to trouble shoot this issue as I'm very new but learning a lot.
Any suggestions would be wonderful.
Thanks.
Hottub Test.png

Jumbi

Feb 17, 2020
Under render settings>Optimization in Daz Studio, turn the caustic sampler Off, in case it is ON, and see if that measure makes any difference. Also, I've noticed that the girl with the long hair has some glitch on her forehead caused by her hair model needing some further adjustment. With her hair selected in the scene tab, open the parameters tab, and then Actors>Adjustments. Play with the option(s) listed there until you get rid of that glitch. Recently I read that an alternative to this approach is selecting the hair in the scene tab and then very slightly scale it up. For example, up to something like 100.5%.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Could be a number of things. My immediate guess would be the lights in the water aren't very good, and by the looks of them, they're the ones that came with the asset itself. Try turning those off and using a Ghost light (either make your own or buy/pirate a set) instead.

The other guess here, and maybe more likely, is that all the light sources are creating a noise trap. Which is basically the result of a bunch of reflections happening, to a point where Daz/Iray can't figure it all out. The easy fix would be to try changing the water asset being used. The water from asset is one I use a ton as it largely ignores the issue you're seeing with your own image. It's not as "underwater-y", if you go underneath the top layer, but it definitely works. There's other potential fixes, but they tend to increase it tediousness as you go further, to a degree in which it'd be easier to just grab another pool/water asset.

no_more_name

Mar 3, 2024
This isn't the perfect lighting set up but I was just doing some tests and the water reflecting the light is all grainy and looks odd.
I did a 1 hour render and a 2 hour render and both were basically the same.
I don't really know where to start to trouble shoot this issue as I'm very new but learning a lot.
Any suggestions would be wonderful.
Thanks.
View attachment 3398196
Water is incredibly low res. And whatever the shader do. Start with a clean base.

>Select surface of your water with surface selection tool
>Got to preset in the surface tab, select Shader/Iray/Liquids in preset, double click Water thin or water

DAZStudio_Ibg9GggHxi.png

>google image "water normal seamless"
>put the map here :

DAZStudio_hEuZsUV6t9.jpg

Reactions: JohnSheridan

tintoag

Nov 14, 2023
denoiser -.png

There may be problems on the surface of the water, but overall the rendering is noisy. There's noise everywhere, glass, shadows.

It might be helpful to try post denoiser if you haven't used it yet. This isn't a perfect solution, but it works. You can use other programs, but I find the DAZ denoiser sufficient. Better results can be obtained as the number of iterations increases.

spot -.png

You can also use spot rendering before doing a full render. With spot rendering, you can achieve high iterative rendering for a specific area in a much shorter time. Tools>Spot render

Last edited: