Daz Reality4 & Lux Render - anyone using this?

frap

Oct 17, 2018
I'm thinking about dropping some cash for the Daz Reality4 plugin, but before I do, I need to know if it will actually make a difference.

I'm currently working on an early 2011 MacBook Pro - AMD Radeon and Intel GPUs, so all rendering is CPU.

Lux says it is chip agnostic and will utilize all CPU and GPU available. Is this accurate? Will it speed things up for me, or be a waste of $50?

In addition, for those using it, what sort of pitfalls may I encounter?

Passenger3D

Feb 5, 2019
I own reality for daz3d. I think its cheaper if you buy it directly from the author's site. Reality is nice for beginners to play around but i would not use it in production for many reasons. you can get it cracked as well, but make sure to block it in firewall if you go down that route as it might not be safe

pitfalls: lacks integrated denoising but i guess if you had newer nvidia gpu you could port renders to optix denoiser and try clear them up a bit better something then nothing, relies on daz3d so any scene you want to render you need to first import into daz3d but i guess this is what you want anyway, doesnt work well with genesis 8 out of the box you need to tweak materials, glass and metal shaders can often conflict with scenes you import causing firflies so you need to manually tweak the spectacular of these materials to eliminate them. subsurface/skin shaders are not the best imo but in any case how ever you approach this, you need understanding to get it right its just that in reality im not sure its possible to get them better then the way they come out of the box

if you dont have a decent gpu then im afraid it wont make much of a difference. couple of years ago when i was playing around with it i had radeon r9 280 and a quad core cpu, it took 10-20 minutes to render a low to medium complexity scene at 1000 samples(fullhd) and still had some noise left over and this was with everything tweaked to the max efficiency.

i just checked and it seems it still had no update. my advice is avoid it unless author updates it because at this point it is ancient, and looking at the blog of the author seems he is ranting about how apple dropped opengl support and reality needs this sooo considering you use mac its possible even if he updates it you wont get it

Reactions: Papa Ernie and frap