Questions about making a game using Honey Select 2

Kisthoria

Nov 29, 2020
Hi, I'm thinking about making a sandbox game with Renpy and Honey Select 2 and I have a lot of questions about the process. I think my main questions are:

1. Is there a good video about making general scenes with your characters (like general scenes such as two characters talking to each other in class and whatnot)

2. How to make sex scenes. Do I just press Play, have the two characters fuck, and then record that? Or do I use StudioNEOV2 to do that and record it there? Also, what HS2 mods do most game developers use and where can I find them? I think I've seen a lot about IronPy, but I couldn't find a download for it. I think I also saw someone talking about using ffmpeg to combine frames together into an animation or something like that

3. Is there also a video on how to make good backgrounds and stuff? For example, sandbox games like Max's Life have houses with full layouts and I'm not sure where I would go about making something like that. I'd have to make a full house with many rooms, a school, multiple shops, a map, and many other things. From what I've seen in other games, I think what's done is people get images for each background and just call them with Renpy when the corresponding button is clicked.

4. Does anyone know of a good video or guide on making a sandbox game? I don't think it'd be too hard compared to what I have to do with HS2, but it'd be tough figuring it out myself.

5. Do I have to use Photoshop and Blender to interact with the 3d models?

Anything helps, thank you.

Tar77

Aug 23, 2019
Not an expert but since you haven't gotten any responses yet I can give a little info.

While I've probably looked them up before I don't remember any videos showing how to do everything.

All the scenes you'll use for a game will be made in StudioNeoV2. There is a mod for making videos properly in the studio. All the mods you'll want will already be in the BetterRepack optional sideloader modpack. You'll want the latest Repack and all the optional mods. You can get them either here on F95 or directly from ScrewThisNoise's website. He is the one responsible for making the repacks. https://f95zone.to/threads/honey-select-2-dx-r13-illusion.53457/ or . Hope you have 300gb or so free space you don't mind taking up.

Most people don't make their own backgrounds for their games. A few do but it usually requires a lot of time and often a much more capable computer. In the sideloader modpack you'll find tons of maps made by various modders that should be plenty for almost anyone. Especially if you are just getting started.

Don't know anything about ren'py programming but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of how to videos to be found just by googling.

A lot of devs use Photoshop to touch up there renders but it's not required. Especially if you get good in studio and learn how to properly use modded graphics with a capable pc. Blender is definitely not required for a HS2 game. That's what StudioNeoV2 is for. It allows you do set maps, items, characters, and basically anything else you need. You can pose them however you like and have quite a few animations to work with.

Reactions: Kisthoria

Kisthoria

Nov 29, 2020
Not an expert but since you haven't gotten any responses yet I can give a little info.

While I've probably looked them up before I don't remember any videos showing how to do everything.

All the scenes you'll use for a game will be made in StudioNeoV2. There is a mod for making videos properly in the studio. All the mods you'll want will already be in the BetterRepack optional sideloader modpack. You'll want the latest Repack and all the optional mods. You can get them either here on F95 or directly from ScrewThisNoise's website. He is the one responsible for making the repacks. https://f95zone.to/threads/honey-select-2-dx-r13-illusion.53457/ or . Hope you have 300gb or so free space you don't mind taking up.

Most people don't make their own backgrounds for their games. A few do but it usually requires a lot of time and often a much more capable computer. In the sideloader modpack you'll find tons of maps made by various modders that should be plenty for almost anyone. Especially if you are just getting started.

Don't know anything about ren'py programming but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of how to videos to be found just by googling.

A lot of devs use Photoshop to touch up there renders but it's not required. Especially if you get good in studio and learn how to properly use modded graphics with a capable pc. Blender is definitely not required for a HS2 game. That's what StudioNeoV2 is for. It allows you do set maps, items, characters, and basically anything else you need. You can pose them however you like and have quite a few animations to work with.
Thanks for commenting, this helps a lot! :)

den_tiger

Feb 16, 2022
Hello. Just wanted to ask since I'm also thinking of doing the same as the OP. What kind of machine specs do i need to be able to use Honey Select 2?

Sir Gary Bummer

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Hello. Just wanted to ask since I'm also thinking of doing the same as the OP. What kind of machine specs do i need to be able to use Honey Select 2?
The BetterRepack site has this as their minimum/required specs to run HS2 with their mod pack.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Not sure if this is just meant for the game itself or Studio. I'd recommend at least somewhat higher specs if you want to do renders of a higher quality. If you start crashing when making renders, cut down on light sources first. Too many of those always gets me crashing, even if they're not in frame.

Tar77

Aug 23, 2019
The BetterRepack site has this as their minimum/required specs to run HS2 with their mod pack.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Not sure if this is just meant for the game itself or Studio. I'd recommend at least somewhat higher specs if you want to do renders of a higher quality. If you start crashing when making renders, cut down on light sources first. Too many of those always gets me crashing, even if they're not in frame.
That's funny. Hadn't even looked for something like that on their site. If you're looking to make a game the storage requirement is WAY off. You'll want the full sideloader modpack and that'll put you around 400GB right away iirc. Plus it goes up on a regular basis so you'll want more than that.

To be able to use it doesn't require much. To be able to use it at a high level is a different story. I'd recommend using it on whatever you have for the time being. Just stay away from high graphics settings and certain mods/textures. I tried it with 8GB RAM at one point and I could get most of the basics done. It would crash rendering above about 1080p with mostly medium graphics settings.

Compared to other systems like DAZ it takes very little though. A modern mid range gaming pc should be able to do everything you need on high settings.

Sir Gary Bummer

Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
That's funny. Hadn't even looked for something like that on their site. If you're looking to make a game the storage requirement is WAY off. You'll want the full sideloader modpack and that'll put you around 400GB right away iirc. Plus it goes up on a regular basis so you'll want more than that.
Huh, didn't look at the hdd specs. Yeah, 35GB doesn't even cover a third of the maps, let alone anything else. I guess those requirements are just for the game itself then. Just checked my own HS2 folder and it's at 505GB currently.