• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

question

Revo

Jun 18, 2017
if the developer of a game comes to this website and interact with the audience knowing the piracy, does that mean the developer is ok with the release of his/her game to be here? (regardless of early/non-early access).

I ask since I've seen some developers around this website and I been curious on what they think about this website in general.

P.s. the devs are part of the caribbean (pun intended).

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
No. Some are ok some aren't, some stick to our website after their version is leaked, some don't. Some stay for the community / feedback others don't. Regardless we'll still post the leaked versions.

Reactions: Revo

Sural Argonus

Chimpanor Productions
Donor
Game Developer
May 12, 2017
Some developers will throw a bitch fit...others won't.

I think some try to actively prevent people like us from sharing their games with DRM...only a few have had limited success.

Revo

Jun 18, 2017
No. Some are ok some aren't, some stick to our website after their version is leaked, some don't. Some stay for the community / feedback others don't. Regardless we'll still post the leaked versions.
Thanks for the reply, I always had the question so I was a bit curious.

Revo

Jun 18, 2017
Some developers will throw a bitch fit...others won't.

I think some try to actively prevent people like us from sharing their games with DRM...only a few have had limited success.
I see thanks. Also, how is daz going? (I found you on patreon, I haven't pladge but I'm following your patreon). any idea what kind of game you are planning to make?

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
then I hope that lemonade is sweet, if you know what I mean :)
I apologize. Sometimes I forget this is a mostly international forum and I sometimes resort to old American idioms for humor. I'm playing off the phrase "If life hands you lemons, make lemonade." It means when something bad happens to you, do your best to turn the situation in your favor. Some game authors recognize that their games will be stolen no matter what, so they use forums like these to get feedback and bug reporting.

Reactions: DeMarcus16

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
When IBM released the PC personal computer, the first 10 units they sold, were bought by pirates who cloned them.
IBM charged $17k while the pirate models were a fraction of that price. Soon everyone had heard of IBM PC, and everyone wanted one.... all thanks to pirates. Some buyers insisted on having an Original, rather than a clone, and millions of both were sold. You're probably using a pirate PC right now, because pirates made it possible. IBM thought only a few people should have computers, but when money started coming in they started making more to meet the demand. Demand, which was created by pirates.

Revo

Jun 18, 2017
I apologize. Sometimes I forget this is a mostly international forum and I sometimes resort to old American idioms for humor. I'm playing off the phrase "If life hands you lemons, make lemonade." It means when something bad happens to you, do your best to turn the situation in your favor. Some game authors recognize that their games will be stolen no matter what, so they use forums like these to get feedback and bug reporting.
I know about the old american humor I just wanted to go with the flow and try to make a pun out of that. Sorry, for the bad pun

Revo

Jun 18, 2017
When IBM released the PC personal computer, the first 10 units they sold, were bought by pirates who cloned them.
IBM charged $17k while the pirate models were a fraction of that price. Soon everyone had heard of IBM PC, and everyone wanted one.... all thanks to pirates. Some buyers insisted on having an Original, rather than a clone, and millions of both were sold. You're probably using a pirate PC right now, because pirates made it possible. IBM thought only a few people should have computers, but when money started coming in they started making more to meet the demand. Demand, which was created by pirates.
That's something I never heard before. Thanks for the info.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
That's something I never heard before. Thanks for the info.
When _____ released __________, the first 10 units they sold, were bought by pirates who cloned them.
______charged $_____ while the pirate models were a fraction of that price. Soon everyone had heard of _____, and everyone wanted one.... all thanks to pirates. Some buyers insisted on having an Original, rather than a clone, and millions of both were sold. You're probably using a pirate ______ right now, because pirates made it possible. ______thought only a few people should have _________, but when money started coming in they started making more to meet the demand. Demand, which was created by pirates.

DaScoot

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I'm a dev of a relatively smalltime project (Graphtreon says we're around ~450 for NSFW games on Patreon), but even so I noticed our public releases of our game up on pirate sites within about a month or so of launch. My views on it pretty much go like this:

- Stopping it is more or less impossible, and to really pursue it makes you look like a dick in the community
- Patreon is ultimately a tip jar, not a storefront, and people will either consider you worthy of a tip or not regardless of how they've played the game
- At most a leaked version is 1-2 months ahead of the version I already have out for free, and since I update every 2-3 weeks, pirate versions will likely remain behind patron versions for a while yet, so patrons still get value for their money

While I'd certainly like people to go through official channels, and if everyone pirated the project would die...it will happen. My primary concern is, despite the fact that pirates could just link up the versions I release myself, they go through the extra effort of repackaging and rehosting them (making the download files much larger in the process). This leaves me with concerns that some of these sites might be tossing malware in there while they're at it, and the last thing I want is someone's pc getting ransomwared and them blaming it on our game.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
I'm a dev of a relatively smalltime project (Graphtreon says we're around ~450 for NSFW games on Patreon), but even so I noticed our public releases of our game up on pirate sites within about a month or so of launch. My views on it pretty much go like this:

- Stopping it is more or less impossible, and to really pursue it makes you look like a dick in the community
- Patreon is ultimately a tip jar, not a storefront, and people will either consider you worthy of a tip or not regardless of how they've played the game
- At most a leaked version is 1-2 months ahead of the version I already have out for free, and since I update every 2-3 weeks, pirate versions will likely remain behind patron versions for a while yet, so patrons still get value for their money

While I'd certainly like people to go through official channels, and if everyone pirated the project would die...it will happen. My primary concern is, despite the fact that pirates could just link up the versions I release myself, they go through the extra effort of repackaging and rehosting them (making the download files much larger in the process). This leaves me with concerns that some of these sites might be tossing malware in there while they're at it, and the last thing I want is someone's pc getting ransomwared and them blaming it on our game.
You do have a legit concern there with the ransomware/malware possibility. Here, we check those out to make sure it's clean. I will admit we have come across uploads with malware. So the uploads in the OP are safe but the ones in the wild? Coin toss!
I am aware that many developers try to compress the upload so its faster up and down.The biggest offender of all that "piracy" is when they use the game to make money off it. What happens is that many of them compress at zero compression so it's full sized and sometimes they will double up on the images, put in adverts for sites, etc. Then they put it up on premium upload sites that throttle the download speed unless you pay for a membership. Now when you pay for that membership, the game that spurred the membership gets a cut of your money. And in many cases, they get paid a certain amount per so many downloads since it's traffic driven.
So you can trust this site to provide clean downloads when we can. We won't turn developers away for any reason except for rule violations or constant "DMCA" trolling. In fact, we are aware they have ways around that and we accept that DMCA is part of piracy. So is waiting and watching for a leaked upload.
I only ask developers to look on the bright side. We provide your content for free at high speeds and do what we can to make it "legit" and to provide a link to your Patreon, Tumblr, DeviantArt, etc. We have 148,000 members right now and many have money to burn. After they try the game and/or see the OP, that's eyes on your patreon that could end up paying for your game. And if you read the threads, there's hundreds of members who openly admit being patrons plus some are actually high-tier patrons.
Simply put, that means that if they hadn't been to this site and seen your work, you would not have had all those patrons. Funny thing is, you can both curse and praise pirates. :D

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

Patreon is not a tip jar. In fact their system strongly discourages tipping. Make your own web site or blog, and setup a tip jar there, so people who like your game can easily tip you with a one-time paypal or bitcoin donation. People get pissed at me all the time, because they wanted to give a tip, and got billed 5 times by patreon instead.

You are correct that patreon is not a store.