QSP QSP/QGEN i need help!

neikujas

Jul 4, 2017
Hi there!

I wanted to ask if there is an English qsp/qgen guide somewhere.
I hope somebody can help me out.
Thanks

Reactions: djfzmsdl

zoomg

Modder
Nov 22, 2016
Since qsp is russian thing, and is hardly used by anyone else, there is no any english comprehensive guide.
check:

tooldev

Feb 9, 2018
There is an english version of the help file for QGen made by @Quacker here on the forums - look

Right above that thread is another one with a splitting programme. It will allow you to split the single textfile you gain from an export to be split into seperate files for each location.

If need be hit me up in a convo and i can give you a quick runthrough of the basics for QGen. For qsp itself i suggest the + google translate. Since its pretty technical information google actually does a good job and once you get used to some of the left over gibberish things should be pretty easy to understand.

Reactions: Quacker

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Mind you, I don't know if you want to use videographic material, but in that case you have to use the Awesomium variant which comes with some more issues. And if you do decide to go with the Awesomium version you will also have external Javascript and CSS to deal with on top of whatever language QSP is supposed to be.

If you have tried Renpy and seen how much support there is for that and detailed guides and English support forums for whatever problem you have.. QSP is the opposite. There is minimal information, which is in Russian. So you got to use Google Translate and you still don't have that much to hold onto other than trial and a LOT of error.

My advice would be, open 2x Qgen, 1 for your own QSP, and 1 with either Big Kuyash or Son of a Bitch. Say what you will about Avenger, but he's used basically everything that can be done with QSP in those games. So you can find an example of what you want to do somewhere in that qsp file.

I wish you luck. QSP mindfucked me so hard I decided to try and code a QSP style game in Renpy, just so I don't have to deal with all of that.

tooldev

Feb 9, 2018
QSP is actually very straightforward as it delivers ready to go functionality for actions etc without the need to know shit about it. It does the GUI things for you. If you can write simple stuff in BASIC you can QSP :)

zoomg

Modder
Nov 22, 2016
Don't have to use awesomnium for videos support. Don't really know if it requires something else but Girl life just uses some alternative qsp player for that. So just look it up as alternative.

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Girl Life uses gifs, not videos. If you want to use videos as generously as SoaB you'd be looking at 150-250GB of gifs. So you don't really have a choice but to go to .webm (Which is what Big Kuyash and SoaB use)
Neither Girl Life nor Simgirl have video support, it's just gifs, and those have a terrible compression rate compared to Webm. As in, you could be looking at a 125MB gif for a 30 second (and 6mb webm) video.

I see Tooldev call it easy, and maybe it is to him, or hell, maybe it is to everyone, but the node system, the external JS and CSS controlling what you can do and can't do.. It never struck me as easy, let me put it like that. Easier than Unreal, harder than Twine, easier than Lumberyard, harder than Ren'py.
However, for the possible functionality of an open world game, like most QSPs are, QSP is an amazing tool which seems almost designed for it, while in the case of Renpy (to name one) you basically have to tame it, break it and bend it to your will, as it's very much designed for (branching) VNs.

So try Qgen, if you can make it work and get the UI you want you are much closer. The actual hopping from scene to scene or location to location is a very easy process. Writing text, implementing UI buttons etc. is quite doable. But through trial and lots of error, because 99% of the limited support is in Russian.

tooldev

Feb 9, 2018
Girl Life uses gifs, not videos. If you want to use videos as generously as SoaB you'd be looking at 150-250GB of gifs. So you don't really have a choice but to go to .webm (Which is what Big Kuyash and SoaB use)
Neither Girl Life nor Simgirl have video support, it's just gifs, and those have a terrible compression rate compared to Webm. As in, you could be looking at a 125MB gif for a 30 second (and 6mb webm) video.

I see Tooldev call it easy, and maybe it is to him, or hell, maybe it is to everyone, but the node system, the external JS and CSS controlling what you can do and can't do.. It never struck me as easy, let me put it like that. Easier than Unreal, harder than Twine, easier than Lumberyard, harder than Ren'py.
However, for the possible functionality of an open world game, like most QSPs are, QSP is an amazing tool which seems almost designed for it, while in the case of Renpy (to name one) you basically have to tame it, break it and bend it to your will, as it's very much designed for (branching) VNs.

So try Qgen, if you can make it work and get the UI you want you are much closer. The actual hopping from scene to scene or location to location is a very easy process. Writing text, implementing UI buttons etc. is quite doable. But through trial and lots of error, because 99% of the limited support is in Russian.
You mix the 2 things. CSS and java has nothing to do with QSP itself and adds a layer of complexity. If he just wants to use the given UI by the player things are hand-able.

The original player also called classic player has some limitations but is basically acting like a browser. So loads of standard HTML commands are available. But the limitations are such that they dont allow for a lot of 'fancy' things one could do with java/css - that is where the awesomnium version also called Navigator came to life.

Both the navigator as well as the modified classic player used by the Girl Life group allow for using mp4. Hell - even the classic player could easily link to outside videos saving the user from downloading huge image/video packs since the stuff is taken from Cornhub etc anyways.

P.S. I am not saying QSP is the best for everything but i feel there is a lot of misunderstanding what it can do and what not. QSP is as good or bad as RenPy and others. If one doesnt want to bother with what goes where and UI sorting QSP isnt a bad choice if the game is mostly based on text and images.

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
There is almost nothing in English, except this very succinct guide on .
You can also do a google translation on the . It's not perfect, but it can help.

That's why since version 0.7.0, Girl Life uses webm/mp4 rather than Gifs and needs QSP-Video :p

Reactions: M$hot

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Ah, so Girl Life stepped up? I'm still on 0.6 and I have come across no videos at all, but I guess 0.7 was a large change then. Nice! Well, guess that I was wrong then. That's cool with me, otherwise you can't learn. @Bip

@zoomg My bad, I was still on the 0.6 which is a gif fest.

@tooldev Yeah I see your point, and sorry for whatever point I played in the confusion. It seems to me (but that's my perception I realize) that you would want to make it yours, with your UI, your commands, your story etc. and then things can get complicated since there's basically nowhere to turn for answers, except maybe a different QSP where you've seen it work. But if a game is mostly text and images and you don't want to mess with the UI I don't see the benefits of using QSP over the much wider supported renPy (which can also play video) unless you're going for a proper open world adventure.

Reactions: tooldev

Himerios

Sep 27, 2018
Hey, I am interested in creating a qsp game, to be more specific, something like: schoollife. I'm currently having trouble to figure out, what the developer(s?) did, to create unique NPC's and how to take control over them (change the protagonist). Does anyone know, how they did it? I also posted in How can I create my own QSP game.