• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Puzzle Game [ENGINE] HELP! (for game making)

Nirriti

Mar 7, 2019
Hello everyone.
Im an illustrator on Twitter/Newgrounds. Lately ive been struggling to get commissions, so over time Ive been working on a set of 10 brand new illustrations, to use for a puzzle game I would like to create and sell here on Steam. Here's what I want to create:

> SLIDING TILE PUZZLE GAME
HUGE BREASTS + PIN-UP = Main Themes

Basically, I NEED HELP finding a way to make my planned game possible. Only, I have ZERO CODING KNOWLEDGE at all. Here's two possible options I found: UNITY engine + a template (one I found was 60$). Im not against paying for a template, its just Id rather not spend UNITY (???)$ in the hundreds + another 60$ and end up paying MORE (remember, Steam charges 100$ to publish) than Id make selling the game here. Second option is RPGM(aker). Ive seen some very cryptic/vague walls-of-text posts on the matter on a few places online. Again, im not a coder. And it seems like its not very modular/obvious to operate with. YES Ive played with RPGM engines in the past (much fun). But Ive never coded in these either. So far, Ive found out that Unity is actually free for those making less than 1OOK a year. So, if I couldnt find any workable altenatives, Id default to unity + template.

Im getting really desperate lately as im eating up my savings (to pay for my bare minimum living expenses) at an alarming rate since last July (talking 600 a month or more). Im really needing help here, so... Thanks in advance. PS: Ill expand my scope over time. Like Id like to make 3 puzzle games first, then Id do a small scope hentai game, then go from there.

EDIT: Turns out UNITY is impossibly difficult to even TRY to understand/work with. I got the template and all but all my hopes were crushed as soon as I tried it and even following the template's tutorial I couldnt get anything done. I prob am out of 60$ (US). I asked for a refund from the makers themselves but they'll likely laugh and say no (why wouldnt they). Cant catch a freaking break. Ill turn to RPGM then maybe and make some NES sprites or something. Will see...

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Dude, I don't want to crush your dreams, but looking at where you are in terms of burning your runway (You've got X savings, every month you're spending Y), trying to half-ass a sliding tile puzzle game and rushing it to Steam with no experience, no wishlists, no community engagement and no technical experience is... probably not the best use of your remaining savings.

It would be different if this was a hobby thing on your part, and if it all crashed and burned you could laugh it off, and go have a beer with your friends. But your post doesn't give me that vibe; it feels like this is a Hail Mary throw.

Without a buzzing community and wishlists you'll get 0 organic lift at launch; that basically means launching into the void. You can do that with a *good* game, and make $50; Steam won't promote you, and so nobody will ever see your game. And you're talking about doing it with a hacked-together sliding puzzle game with 10 images.

I wish I had some advice for "do this instead, you'll get rich", but (unless you have a working time-machine, in which case travel back to 2009 and start buying bitcoins), I don't. All I can say is that from your post it sounds like you're about to burn through the last of your savings and then crashing spectacularly. Somewhere among your options there should hopefully be a way out that doesn't involve kamikazeing your savings.

Last edited: