• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[Privacy/Security] - Sandboxie Plus - Play games without traces

Jul 27, 2021
Github:
Download:

Introduction:
Sandboxie
is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.

Why should you use it?
#1: Security
- Everything the application does is isolated from the system, this includes file system, registry and other changes applications could possibly/usually make to your system.

Some videos of people opening up viruses/malware inside Sandboxie (Plus):

As you can see from the videos the yellow border and the [#] in the application top bar it is all running sandboxed. The ransomware videos show that even after killing the process inside the Sandbox nothing has changed on the system itself even after restarting, whereas if you opened it without it you would have the pop-up telling you to pay xxx to get your files unlocked, rendering your computer useless. I'm not advocating that it will block literally 100% but it does a good enough job stopping a lot.

#2: Privacy - After installing Sandboxie Plus, you can change the Container folder (working folder) to a flash drive, so when you start up let's say Trouble in Paradise sandboxed, everything you do in it like creating saves or anything will be saved in the container Folder file directories.

Example: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\RenPy would normally contain all your saved files for games based on the Ren'Py engine. In my case however it is saved to P:\Sandbox\SANDBOXNAME\user\current\appdata\Roaming\RenPy

Where P:\ is my portable drive.
1660660810911.png

You have two options for running something Sandboxed:
A:
Right Click the executable and press Run Sandboxed
B:
Set a folder that holds your games that will ALWAYS run Sandboxed.

Personally I have selected option B, I placed the downloaded games in the P:\Games folder:
1660661040059.png

Regarding settings I've done, they are listed below:

To disable the yellow border which can be annoying as it shows and disappears while doing a mouseover, personally I like to just have the [#] indicator in the title.
1660661288186.png

To prevent deletion of content inside the Sandbox either automatically or manually I would suggest setting this to prevent your saved data being removed inadvertently:

1660661813238.png

To open access for Locale Emulator / RPGVXAce runtime files which are used by RPGM games:
1660661576812.png

EDIT 18-01-2023: I have tested Locale Emulator 2.4.1.0 and 2.5.0.1 on Windows 11 and it works as intended.

To get Locale Emulator to work in the Sandboxed environment, you need to add the Locale Emulator folder to Force Programs under Program Control a few steps back. Then open LEinstaller.exe as admin and click Install for all users. To get the game to work you likely have to Right Click > Locale Emulator > Run In Japanese (Admin).

This is an example of a game running Sandboxed:
1660661926560.png

1660661957005.png

Moving over Saved games to Sandbox folder:
This can be a tricky one as saved games are saved in various locations, some are saved in My Documents, some in Appdata\Local, Appdata\LocalLow and others in Appdata\Roaming

So you would have to check the following folder for other engines (mostly):

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local
Secret Care Cafe for example is saved in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Secret_Care_Cafe

You would have to check the following folder for Unity games:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow
Pizza Hot (Oppai Games folder) and True Bond are examples that are saved in this folder

You would have to check the following folder for Ren'py or other games:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\
There is a RenPy folder containing all your played games including their saves.

You can move the folders to the P:\Sandbox folder in the following directory:
P:\Sandbox\SANDBOXNAME\user\current\appdata

In this folder you will find local/locallow and roaming folders, put the folders you found from the games you played in the same folder as you found them in.
Example: Secret Care Cafe for example is saved in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Secret_Care_Cafe
move this folder to P:\Sandbox\SANDBOXNAME\user\current\appdata\local\Secret_Care_Cafe

Games in My Documents folder can be moved to P:\Sandbox\SANDBOXNAME\user\current\Documents

Footnote:
You're don't have to use this to enjoy your games, but for those that are either worried whatever you download on this site may contain something malicious it is at least an option to feel a lot safer while running these games. Not saying the uploaders will spread malicious software, but an uploader's device or account can be stolen, the site can be defaced with links replaced, better to be safe than sorry I guess?

It will also give you the ability to isolate files created by these games to your portable drive by preventing it from being created in your user folders for anybody to find using your computer.

You can also use Sandboxie Plus as portable application, if you place it on the portable drive you can basically play your F95 games on any Windows device you want without leaving traces of these games on the other person's computer.

You can use Sandboxie Plus for other things aside from running games from this website, for example you can create a separate Sandbox that doesn't block internet and run your browser in it, test software or install software that you don't want to leave remnants on your PC itself.

If you need any help, have comments or tips on how to work with Sandboxie Plus, feel free to add as I'm not necessarily an expert on this matter.

EDIT 10-06-2023:
In some cases RPGM games might not start if you disable Internet Access, doesn't seem to happen to every single one of them but specific titles it might. So if it doesn't work make sure the RTP is installed and Internet Access is not disabled to it. I believe it does work however if you set a rule in your firewall to block internet access.

Last edited:

Justthegudstuff

Aug 18, 2020
How do I get this working with LocaleEmulator? I've added the directory like in the picture shown, but it still errors when trying to open JP-locale games.

Jul 27, 2021
How do I get this working with LocaleEmulator? I've added the directory like in the picture shown, but it still errors when trying to open JP-locale games.
It's likely you need Locale Emulator 2.4.1.0 as that still has the Alternative Dll's.zip file inside it.
1672999771509.png

Open that zip file, open the Sandboxie only folder and copy the two .dll files in the Locale Emulator folder.

I think last time I tried with 2.5.1.0 it didn't work either but haven't extensively tested it, 2.4.1.0 works fine for me on both Windows 10 and 11.

Works with Locale Emulator 2.5.0.1 - See post
https://f95zone.to/threads/privacy-...play-games-without-traces.127486/post-9874532

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
I've been using it for a long time and it's a very good tool. I believe this thread will be very helpful, good job.
Thanks, I was using it for a while and thought of writing it out here. It's just to keep an ease of mind just in case something that's linked on this site doesn't give problems on your computer. Uploads are scanned on this site, but there's enough 0-day exploits going around or scripts- and other executable files that are only created to troll the person opening it (Like changing your wallpaper to something random). I've also quite regularly seen files being linked off-site, which are much harder to control by staff on F95 unless they come across it or get notified by reports that something is amiss.

The other reason is that it helps a bit with privacy as well:
Rather than having several "Random title with sex terminology"-folders in your Appdata/Documents or other places they would all reside in the Sandboxed folder environment. If you use the portable version on an external drive/USB-stick, just by removing the device nobody would even find anything of the games you've played.

Reactions: depechedNode

Justthegudstuff

Aug 18, 2020
It's likely you need Locale Emulator 2.4.1.0 as that still has the Alternative Dll's.zip file inside it.
View attachment 2289729

Open that zip file, open the Sandboxie only folder and copy the two .dll files in the Locale Emulator folder.

I think last time I tried with 2.5.1.0 it didn't work either but haven't extensively tested it, 2.4.1.0 works fine for me on both Windows 10 and 11.
I've already done this, I'm confused on how to get it working with Sandboxie though. The picture you provided in the original post has a different UI then the newer versions, so I might have done it wrong.

Still though, thank you for this thread. It's been really helpful, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
I've already done this, I'm confused on how to get it working with Sandboxie though. The picture you provided in the original post has a different UI then the newer versions, so I might have done it wrong.

Still though, thank you for this thread. It's been really helpful, I appreciate it.
You might have to fiddle with the LEinstaller.exe with Install for current user or Install for all users. Click uninstall first if that's clickable.

Is the Locale Emulator in the same folder structure as in the screenshot (Example: P:\Games\Locale Emulator)?
1673134710816.png

Did you get Sandboxie Classic or Plus? Because I'm using Plus. The screenshots are a bit older, but haven't changed for me, currently using Sandboxie Plus 1.6.4.

Justthegudstuff

Aug 18, 2020
You might have to fiddle with the LEinstaller.exe with Install for current user or Install for all users. Click uninstall first if that's clickable.

Is the Locale Emulator in the same folder structure as in the screenshot (Example: P:\Games\Locale Emulator)?
View attachment 2293745

Did you get Sandboxie Classic or Plus? Because I'm using Plus. The screenshots are a bit older, but haven't changed for me, currently using Sandboxie Plus 1.6.4.
There's a chance what I'm getting might not be a JP issue, when I start up anything non-Unity/non-RPGM it'll give a Invalid Command Line error. I only have JP games so I assumed that was the issue.

I'm using Plus on the latest version, grabbed the right version of LE and replaced the DLL files. Added it to my Games folder and added the folder to the Resource Access tab too, installed on all users both in Sandboxie and out of Sandboxie. Not sure if there's anything else I can do on that side.

Jul 27, 2021
There's a chance what I'm getting might not be a JP issue, when I start up anything non-Unity/non-RPGM it'll give a Invalid Command Line error. I only have JP games so I assumed that was the issue.

I'm using Plus on the latest version, grabbed the right version of LE and replaced the DLL files. Added it to my Games folder and added the folder to the Resource Access tab too, installed on all users both in Sandboxie and out of Sandboxie. Not sure if there's anything else I can do on that side.
I removed Locale Emulator completely and tested it out with 2.5.0.1. You have to do the following to get it to work:

To get Locale Emulator to work in the Sandboxed environment, you need to add the Locale Emulator folder to Force Programs under Program Control. Then open LEinstaller.exe as admin (Sandboxed) and click Install for all users. To get the game to work you likely have to Right Click > Locale Emulator > Run In Japanese (Admin).

If it doesn't work right away or Locale Emulator is not visible in context menu you might have to restart Windows Explorer or your computer.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021
DownloadAllTheGames How do I move save folders to sandbox folder?
You should have a Sandbox folder somewhere on your disk
1679821757981.png

It depends where the savegames are at the moment, most are saved in Appdata Local or Roaming or Documents folders so you'd grab it from there and put it in example:
D:\Sandbox\Games\user\current\appdata\local
D:\Sandbox\Games\user\current\appdata\roaming
D:\Sandbox\Games\user\current\appdata\LocalLow
D:\Sandbox\Games\user\current\Documents

1679821917920.png

1679821934392.png

1679821947836.png

1679821963007.png

Some names of the folders are dead obvious that they're from lewd games, but some aren't so much so it takes a bit to recognize them. The Renpy games saves are often easier to find like how they're pretty much all dumped into:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Renpy

So you can just copy that entire folder to the Sandbox location on D:\Sandbox\Games\user\current\appdata\roaming or wherever you have it located.

"Games" is the name I gave to the Sandbox so it could be different for you depending on how you called it.
1679822397634.png

Last edited:
Reactions: decadentEcchi
Aug 22, 2022
Thanks for reminding me of Sandboxie. I know I should have used this a long time ago, but my laziness got the better of me so I just nuke my entire Windows installation every three months or so. With Defender behaving rather too erratically as of late (flagged three .zip files as Trojans two Fridays ago, turned the blind eye to them on the following Saturday even after scanning them more than 10 times, then threw a fit at them being Trojans yet again on the Sunday that followed), I decided to just take an extra step to secure my installation. Easily solves the annoying nitpick I have of Windows programs leaving files, changes to the registry, etc., all over the place.

Just wanted to ask; is there any obvious downside to using Sandboxie over using a dedicated Windows installation on a VM? I'm guessing something like missing DirectX dependencies and situations similar to that? I'm really liking Sandboxie right now but I haven't weighed the risks and downsides on using it when compared to using a VM. I imagine the differences are pretty slim but I just wanted to hear someone's opinion.

Aug 22, 2022
RPGM games are not opening
I have added the the folder with open access.
Does an error of some sort pop-up? Ever since installing Sandboxie, I've been playing all my RPGM in there (actually playing one right now) and I never came across any errors. I did reinstall the RPGM RTPs in Sandboxie just to make sure that I don't run across any errors.

hsehsing

Jul 11, 2017
Does an error of some sort pop-up? Ever since installing Sandboxie, I've been playing all my RPGM in there (actually playing one right now) and I never came across any errors. I did reinstall the RPGM RTPs in Sandboxie just to make sure that I don't run across any errors.
Nothing opens but i can see the process running in the sandboxie.
I will try installing them inside the sandboxie

Jul 27, 2021
Pretty late reply, but another option is to install the RTP outside of Sandboxie and simply give resource access.
1682225045875.png

But both options should work fine.

Not sure if you got this fixed, I completely missed the notifications of your reply in this thread. But you can install RTP on your machine and give it resource access under Sandbox options like I described above.
1682225175095.png

In some cases certain games might not work if you don't use Locale Emulator, mostly the case for games that use Japanese text.

MelbourneRoad

Apr 14, 2019
HOLY SHIT thanks for the link. I randomly stumbled upon your signature and found this. I've been looking for Sandboxie but back then it was paid and I recalled it was a huge pita to install the crack.

Thanks for reminding me of Sandboxie. I know I should have used this a long time ago, but my laziness got the better of me so I just nuke my entire Windows installation every three months or so. With Defender behaving rather too erratically as of late (flagged three .zip files as Trojans two Fridays ago, turned the blind eye to them on the following Saturday even after scanning them more than 10 times, then threw a fit at them being Trojans yet again on the Sunday that followed), I decided to just take an extra step to secure my installation. Easily solves the annoying nitpick I have of Windows programs leaving files, changes to the registry, etc., all over the place.
Windows Defender sometimes acts weird when you want to exclude some files from being flagged. You have to and then add the files to exclude list for the antivirus to not flag the files anymore.

Just wanted to ask; is there any obvious downside to using Sandboxie over using a dedicated Windows installation on a VM? I'm guessing something like missing DirectX dependencies and situations similar to that? I'm really liking Sandboxie right now but I haven't weighed the risks and downsides on using it when compared to using a VM. I imagine the differences are pretty slim but I just wanted to hear someone's opinion.
I'd say there are some limitations when you want some apps to work together while being sandboxed. VM is much better for that since it's a full-blown OS. You also can install a different OS, like Linux on a VM for increased security; viruses rarely can infect multiple OS, they're usually are only focused on a specific OS.

Though I can't be bothered to use VM as it's really slow to start and takes too much resources. Maybe I'd reconsider when I had a better PC specs.

Reactions: DownloadAllTheGames
Jul 27, 2021
HOLY SHIT thanks for the link. I randomly stumbled upon your signature and found this. I've been looking for Sandboxie but back then it was paid and I recalled it was a huge pita to install the crack.

Windows Defender sometimes acts weird when you want to exclude some files from being flagged. You have to and then add the files to exclude list for the antivirus to not flag the files anymore.

I'd say there are some limitations when you want some apps to work together while being sandboxed. VM is much better for that since it's a full-blown OS. You also can install a different OS, like Linux on a VM for increased security; viruses rarely can infect multiple OS, they're usually are only focused on a specific OS.

Though I can't be bothered to use VM as it's really slow to start and takes too much resources. Maybe I'd reconsider when I had a better PC specs.
Very late reply, no problem dude. I have been using it for a while now and thought others might be interested as well considering we had at least one occasion where a game was uploaded by someone that had every single file on his computer infected with something, leading to the uploaded game being infected as well.

VM's can be decent if you enable Hardware Virtualization in the bios, but it's not feasible for everybody depending on their specs. Sandboxie Plus is lower on resource usage.

Reactions: MelbourneRoad

andy9987gg

Nov 5, 2023
Hi, thanks for your tutorial on how to use Sandboxie. However, I still get some problems when trying to get Locale Emulator to work. I would like to share my steps to help all the others who are also facing the same problems.

1. Download Locale Emulator 2.4.1 or 2.5 above and extract it to a folder, such as "C:\LocaleEmulatorForSandboxie" (this Locale Emulator is for Sandboxie only)
2. Extract DLLs from "C:\LocaleEmulatorForSandboxie\Alternative Dlls.zip" and overwrites the existing ones in "C:\LocaleEmulatorForSandboxie"
3. (Optional) If you are already using Locale Emulator, uninstall it temporarily.
4. Install sandboxie plus. Add a sandbox. Assume the sandbox name is "box" (sandboxie will give you a default one, that would also be fine)
5. In sandboxie manager, double click "box" to open sandbox configuration for it.
6. Go to "Program Control" tab, then "Force Programs" sub tab.
7. Add Locale Emulator folder (C:\LocaleEmulatorForSandboxie) to the list using "Force Folder" button.
8. Execute "C:\LocaleEmulatorForSandboxie\LEInstaller.exe" to install Locale Emulator context menu for sandboxie.
9. (Optional) If you were using Locale Emulator and uninstalled it in step 3., now you can install it outside sandboxie to get it back to your host environment.

Now your computer are ready to execute programs using Locale Emulator inside a sandbox:
1. **Important** Use sandboxie to start a file explorer
2. Using sandboxed file explorer, navigate to your game/program folder, say "C:\SampleGame"
3. Right click on the desired executable (.exe), the Locale Emulator menu should show up.
4. Execute the game with the desired Locale Emulator option. Since Locale Emulator is installed for sandboxie, it launches the game using Locale Emulator inside the sandbox.
5. Enjoy!

ForcedAccount

Aug 6, 2016
I don't know if you ever fixed the problem on your end, or if what OP advised fixed it for you, but it didn't for me. Namely because RPG Maker MV doesn't need any RTPs, so there were none I could point sandboxie to or install within. I fixed it in my case though, and in case anyone else in the future doing some research has a similar issue, I'll leave what I did here.

I initially set up my sandbox to block network activity via blocking the network devices (or something to that effect idk man this shit's new to me). When I instead switched it to block network activity using Windows Filtering Platform(?) both globally and on the specific sandbox settings, my MV games are able to launch properly. I don't know why, or how, but it worked.

Oh, and thanks for the guide OP.