• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Tutorial Posing: Rotations & ActivePose Tool

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
While posing you have 3 options :

-Starting the pose from scratch.
-Starting from of full body pose.
-Starting from a partial pose.

For the posing in itself you have only two things to learn and be comfortable with (at least to my knowledge).

1. Basic bones rotation

It's the most obvious. Select the Active pose tool ( aaaaaaa.png ) and select a part of your model.
While posing your model, always have your posing pane set on General>transform>Rotation.
Most of bones have 3 basics rotations, generally Bend/Twist/Side-Side.
Moving sliders will rotate your bones like a real human body does within its limit.
You will use these a lot.

rotations.png

Note:
-You can turn on/off limits via clicking on the "screw", parameter settings, and thick off "Use limits".
-Value in the slider can be reset with ALT+Click, and can do operation (if you type +2, it will add +2 to the previous value)

002.png

2. ActivePose Tool

It's the bread & butter for good and fast posing. Basically ActivePose Tool allow you to pull bones in any direction.
Here I take the right forearms and pull it to the left, you can see all the body followed.

Active tool pull.png

Now the most interesting in the ActivePose Tool is its Pin system. While ActiveTool active, I clicked the chest upper and hit "space" (you can see the red pin). Now the upper chest of my model is pinned, if I take the right forearms and pull it to left, you can see the pinned upper chest prevented the whole body to move. You can pin any numbers of bones you want.

Active tool pull2.png

For a stronger Pin function, I usually use 'Pin at Both' in Pin position. You can find this option in the Tool settings pane while ActivePose Tool is active. Note the added extra pins and the Un-pin all button. You can also un-pin bone by hitting "space" again".

Active tool pull3.png

Taking advantage of the ActivePose Tool, its pin function and a good use of rotations sliders will make your posing way more faster and less tedious.

Last edited:

faibolx

Oct 18, 2019
Great and useful info!

Do you have any advice when working with pose presets? I mean, many times I find two problems,

1) the pose moves my subjects to the zero coordinates and need to adjust manually (even if I hold cmd on mac to choose move or rotation)

2) The three axis moves away from my character and makes very difficult to move or rotate

Thanks

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
1) if you ctrl+click on a pose presets you can unselect X, Y, Z translation, so the pose will be applied where your character is at.

BT8fBfs6RH.jpg

2) You're talking about the translation gizmo DAZStudio_erXJLNjv1f.jpg ? You can replace it by selecting the Joint Editor Tool and moving the green little gizmo where you want your translation/rotation one to appear.

DAZStudio_JAEdHmyXla.jpg

faibolx

Oct 18, 2019
1) if you ctrl+click on a pose presets you can unselect X, Y, Z translation, so the pose will be applied where your character is at.

View attachment 581401

2) You're talking about the translation gizmo View attachment 581402 ? You can replace it by selecting the Joint Editor Tool and moving the green little gizmo where you want your translation/rotation one to appear.

View attachment 581405
Thanks for the good advice, answer number 1 is what I actually use, sometimes with some troubles.
And answer number 2, I didn't know about such thing, thank you for discover it to me

Feb 3, 2020
Second on the IK tutorial. I keep reading about IK best used for posing rope/chain/wire/tentacle but haven't found a dummy proof tutorial on the topic.