RPGM [poll] Why Do People Love Rpg Games That Much ?

Are RPG Maker games worth playing ?

• Yes, but only because of the story

• Yes, but only because of the art

• Yes, because of the engine (how it plays out)

• No, because of the art

• No, because of the story

• No, because of the engine (how it plays out)

• If the art exists in another engine, I'll change to it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ikaruga

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
Hello

(sorry if my english is wrong, not my native language)

I tried to get used to rpgmaker games, and everytime, i feel that the game will be the same.
Game mechanics oblige the player to play slowly, and artifical play time ensure.

SO game is slow, you have to go to many place, litterally, like 95% of your time your moving with your kb / gamepad.

And what about 5% ? Depend, sometime fights (slooooowwwww) or talk, talk talk....

The graphic content appeals me, that's why i tried game, but man... I can't handle them.

How many users here usually play rpg games ? Maybe i'm just alone about this, and need to continue trying, or just too many games are made with rpg makers and i'm not the only one who think that's too much.

Thanks for reading, please give me your toughts about it

Ventrusoul

Oct 15, 2016
Hello

(sorry if my english is wrong, not my native language)

I tried to get used to rpgmaker games, and everytime, i feel that the game will be the same.
Game mechanics oblige the player to play slowly, and artifical play time ensure.

SO game is slow, you have to go to many place, litterally, like 95% of your time your moving with your kb / gamepad.

And what about 5% ? Depend, sometime fights (slooooowwwww) or talk, talk talk....

The graphic content appeals me, that's why i tried game, but man... I can't handle them.

How many users here usually play rpg games ? Maybe i'm just alone about this, and need to continue trying, or just too many games are made with rpg makers and i'm not the only one who think that's too much.

Thanks for reading, please give me your toughts about it
try playing the last sovereign, your view of rpgm games will change

Yobs

Aug 11, 2016
I mostly ignore RPG Maker games unless they have something really special to capture my attention, and when I play it, I usually speedhack and change values through CE so I don't waste so much time.

I guess the reason of RPGM popularity is simply because there's a lot of games for it, and even some good ones, even though I can't think of more than 3 that I would personally consider worth playing unless you're really bored. This huge volume of games is mostly due to how popular RPG Maker is in japan and how easy/cheap is to get into the engine and start making a game.

Coldbird

Aug 17, 2016
I don't mind the running back and furth in rpg's, not more annoying then the others engines, were you have to do the same thing, over and over and over again, to build up money, or relationship to progress in game.

Reactions: Sphere42 and cg3985

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
I made some changes to the thread / poll to fix some typos and to get a more accurate answer from both sides.

ikaruga

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
I made some changes to the thread / poll to fix some typos and to get a more accurate answer from both sides.
Yes, thank you, i get too fast to the answers :)

Hexel

Aug 5, 2016
Because RPGMaker easily allows the dev to make the player waste 2 hours grinding or going from point A to B in order to see a picture and call it "gameplay".
You mean like any of the other games in the other programs were you just click "Continue" all the time or klicking/doing the same 5 things for a hour to get enough money/reputaion?!
There are bad and good games for rpgMaker and there are good and bad games for every other program its just all about what the dev makes out of it and what the player expecting!

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
You mean like any of the other games in the other programs were you just click "Continue" all the time or klicking/doing the same 5 things for a hour to get enough money/reputaion?!
There are bad and good games for rpgMaker and there are good and bad games for every other program its just all about what the dev makes out of it and what the player expecting!
Both of the characteristics mentioned are typical of rpgmaker games :confused:
In my view this is what we see (in general) on different engines:
QSP: open world tons of scenes, you choose your path.
Ren'py: Usually like a visual novel, typical for corruption games and hand drawn art.
Flash: Quirky graphics.
Java: Text based stuff.
Unity: 3d.
Html: images with a ton of text or interactive visual novels (vdate).

When it comes to rpg it's more than well known. Mother of all money making whores. Some, but extremely rare, devs create new stories which are then picked up by others and recycled. We see shitty stories, including high pledged devs, abnoxious gameplay and boring overseen art. This is not because of the engine but because of the money whore devs that infiltrated into this game engine flooding it with shit. It's extremely common to see far fetched stories, which make no sense. I usually like to try every game that comes out on RPGMaker but still, I can't remember the last RPGMaker game that came out that had somewhat of a good story... and when we do get that story we get giant maps with 30+ buildings where we can only interact with 4-5 of them.

Silver1

Feb 7, 2017
I actually like RPG, always have, most of the games i have are RPGs, i don´t mind RPG maker at all, because what i like most is the story, i actually learned to enjoy a simpler engine like that, i have some issues with my computer here so i was forced to make a stop in more advanced games, so im always looking for interesting games to play.

Reactions: Sole

JohnRobinson

Aug 5, 2016
Being able to freely walk around i cool if you hide little secrets and such within your game, otherwise it just feels like busy work to me.

If the game doesn't have to much long walking, and no bad JRPG combat, i don't mind rpg games...

extractied

Nov 11, 2016
RPGM is a powerful tool. The problem is on the creators.
If you play one of both Lawina's uncompleted games, for example, you'll feel the quality difference to the others. Dede Kusto is another maker that delivers the quality aswell, same for SierraLee and other good devs that I won't remember at this moment.
The thing is, probably most of creators get lost in the infinity of possibilities they have and are prone to make a poor game. As far I can see, most of RPGMaker-based devs don't have a consistent basis (story+graphics) for their story, and don't give a care at all, once that a lot of guys are earning easy money on the branch.

ikaruga

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
Thanks all of you for your answers.

I'm glad that this poll find quite a reaction.
But my position is still clear : RPG maker games come the last for me, and it's a very personnal opinion. Even with some try, i just quit them. It's like when i enjoyed FFIV, i remember it when i was young, but i can't play it anymore.

RPG maker games remember me that sensation, that even if the story is fine, i won't be able to finish because of my repulsion.

HTML games are funny for me, because i can understand code. Renpy games too, i can hack the logic and find things more interresting.

Unity games are great for animation

PS : i just found a HUGE deposit for rpgmaker in japain hosted site. I understand why it's so popular... The content attract me, but not the engine, so i'm giving up a lot of pleasure i think...

Thanks again, all

Silver1

Feb 7, 2017
Funny you mention that, my first experience with RPG was Final Fantasy too, in my case was FF VII, a colleague from school lend me, insisting i would like, and i did, i have playing RPGs when i can since then.

graykingdom

Oct 15, 2016
I love the engine it allows a lot of features that a normal game dev. would have to code him/herself and has preset assets to use to make life easier.

What i hate about it is the limits it sets unless you can code well enough to get past such as the limit in res. as well as how lazy it makes game devs. in general because most of the work it does for them.

It reminds me of the daz model debates on around here, a daz model or rpg maker makes things easier to crate content for your games but because of how easy it makes things ppl abuse it and go with bare minimums in reguards to the quality of the work they put in(I.E no change of promo textures basic lighting no camera work etc, basicly asset fliping)

Asset fliping is taking prepaid assets like a daz model using it in your game with no effort and assuming ppl will pay for it short answer is yes they will long one is it ruins faith in game devs and while you make money in the short term you lose more then you could make in the long term.

This problem has been around awhile its a issue amazon has its an issue steam has been having and its a issue unity has had as well as insert pay for use of object here.

I'll save you from more ranting now and repeat what my stance was since its lost in my rant ( I like the engine and the free features that make making a game for it easier, I hate it because of the limits it has and lazy ppl)

Aug 6, 2016
For me personally RPG maker games give a sense of surrounding that qsp, renpy, or any other game engines do not give. Poor map design can turn into a nightmare however if done properly it plays out quite nice. Im no big fan of visual novels and really do not want a rpg maker game with a in depth story, so the story is not of real concern to me. As of the art, i would personally consider it the most important thing for the game for me. The art is probably what will attract me to a game in the first place. I've tried playing COC, but never really got into it cause reading erotica is not really my thing. I can understand the appeal of imagination, and i have used my imagination many times to get one off, but its inefficient and it takes longer. At the end of the day art is the priority for me in a H-game that's not claiming to be text only.

Gold613

Sep 21, 2016
I have a very short list of things I like when it comes to RPGM Games, I will not go and talk about the dev's as some of em are money whores not gonna lie.

Games that I loved and found worth my time when it comes to RPGM are:
Noxian Nights
Roundscape
New Path < for an RPGM game this one has some unique stuff going for it.
Officer Chloe
Lida's Adventure
Sarah's Life (great game but a whore of a dev)
Modern Life (great game looks abandonded fkn hate these kind of dev's)
Kristi's Revenge (sadly not worked on anymore was darn good)
Zoe's Temptation
Fleeting Iris
Gates: The Opening.

Great games just some of these have Dev Whores and slow minor updates on long waits.

PS: On side note Incest story was Also likable enough for me and I definitely like the way Incest Story 2 is done game play wise however even for a demo some of the objectives or quests feel a bit rushed. I hope he fixes that.

Last edited: