(Poll) Which games do you like playing the most? (RenPy or RPGM)

RenPy or RPGMV fo a XXX game?

• RenPy

Votes: 144 77.4%
  • RPGMV

Votes: 42 22.6%

• Total voters

godfinger5

Dec 25, 2018
Hi

I'm planning to create a game - i've even created some renders already, but i'm wondering which of these two "engines" you like the most?

On RenPy there's easier to create an apropriate mood, but on rpgmv on the other hand - there is easier (for me) to create side quests.

So...

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Actually I am fine with both engines: it depends on what kind of game it is.
Is it a VN /dating sim? I definitely prefer Ren'py: with MV, I feel like I'm playing a walking simulator and I tend to drop the game after a few minutes (or even worse, I will blatantly ignore it). Also, I miss most basic features (backscrolling, saving in the middle of a conversation of before an important choice and so on).
Is it a RPG? I think MV is great.
Is it a mix of both? Godot could be an interesting alternative.

Aesthetically speaking, I prefer if a RPG Maker game has 2D artwork or HS renders. DAZ renders go better with Ren'py imo.

Reactions: 246

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
Only use RPGM if you're going to make the most of the engine, the software is geared for combat oriented RPG's, if your game isn't going to use combat and map movement then don't use RPGM, on a simplistic level Ren'Py is better for VN's or similar types of games and if you need more than that unity is a good bet if you've got the programming chops

Last edited:
Reactions: 246 and Namco15

samoo

Jan 11, 2019
renpy of course and if by any way some one told you RPGM is better don't listen to him
why would i waste my time walking around purposeless ??
or making side question that not related to the story
or even repeated fighting mini games ???

hotmike

Jan 28, 2018
The engines are really different. Most people do not like RPGM because of the very standard looks and the endless walking. If you do not use combat, do not use RPGM (in my opinion).
Renpy is great for stories. It will take some time to work on the variables if you have 0 programming experience, but getting some sense of it is really really helpful.

Another thing that is relatively easy with Renpy is translating. I have no experience in RPGM with that, but Renpy is pretty much ok for multi language.

In the end the story/game is what matters most. Get that right, and you will have supporters.

Reactions: 246 and Nottravis

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
No, that is the wrong question.
You do not choose an engine based on people's opinion or even your own opinion, it is about what *you* need and what you are most comfortable with (since you'll be the one working on it).

The easy way to pick between the two is: Can you fit your game in Ren'Py? If you can, do it.

A more complex way would be to design the game beforehand (does not even have to be too complex) and see what you really need.
An engine is supposed to be a tool to make your life easier, it is a bit like wanting to put a nail on a wall, you'll want to choose the tool that most resembles a hammer.

For instance: You "could" create a sprite that moves in a map, with collisions, events, etc. in Ren'Py but why re-invent the wheel when RPG Maker can do that and much more?
Likewise, if you need many elements (if not all) that Ren'Py has out of the box, why re-invent the wheel on RPG Maker?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I prefer RPGM purely because I prefer RPG's. My current fave games are made using RPGM.

I don't like VN's done in RPGM but I don't follow many VN's so that isn't an issue. Ren'py is great for VN's but shit for RPG's with any depth.

It all depends on the game you want to make.

icesun

Be nice! Until it's time to not be nice...
Former Staff
Nov 2, 2018
I prefer VNs and for that Ren'Py over RPGM (or any other engine) any time of the day simply because I like backtracking choices easily to go with the outcome that I feel suits best. But:
No, that is the wrong question.
You do not choose an engine based on people's opinion or even your own opinion, it is about what *you* need and what you are most comfortable with (since you'll be the one working on it).
An engine is supposed to be a tool to make your life easier, it is a bit like wanting to put a nail on a wall, you'll want to choose the tool that most resembles a hammer.
This! :)

Ataios

Sep 11, 2017
Lesbian games which involve a powerful female MC gaining domination over a hot MILF, involving some lingerie, high heels, BDSM, maybe incest and ideally a cyberpunk or steampunk setting. It may have 3D or 2D art, but regardless of art style the women should be curvy (in a realistic fashion). A good story is appreciated and both the protagonist and her sub should be reasonably intelligent.

The tools used to make this game? I don't give flying fuck!

Reactions: N1K17Y
Apr 4, 2018
RenPy for me is the best, as mentioned before it is easier to "backtrack"

Furthermore, if the devs know their work, the renders are more lifelike

Gambitf95

Jul 11, 2017
Don't ask what people want as engine. Ask instead what kind of game people want :
- Stories with no choice (not a game imo).
- Stories with some choice (hardly a game, again, imo).
- Dating sims (... :( )
- Classical RPG with some stories ( :) ).
- Sandbox/survival game ( :D ).

In fact you shouldn't even ask people. Do what you want to do. Try to put some time, effort and love in it.
Get help, if you can, on your weak spot (programming, graphism, stories...).
It's the only true recipe of a good game.

SliveEmerald

Sep 22, 2020
Definitely RPGM for me but that's because I much prefer RPG style games compared to Visual Novels. I grew up playing RPG's so it stands to reason I would enjoy them as adult games too. Visual Novels barely feel like games 90% of the time with only simplistic mini games or very basic decision making. A VN must have good writing for me to like it and even then I get bored of them quickly. I like the feeling of overcoming challenges in the game and being rewarded with sex scenes or whatever rather than just mindlessly clicking to the next line of mediocre dialogue.

rogueKlyntar

Feb 16, 2021
Ren'Py for sure. If there were any RPGs that didn't use the same images from a pool of like 3 games, then I'd be more interested. Plus, there are always missed bugs or incompletions that just bother me. Would also be better if I didn't have to type and could use an actual console-type interface, but that's impossible lol...unless I'm on Steam's new console

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
I don't care, as long as it's entertaining and functional. I've played plenty of both, both being good and bad.

I've played as many terrible renpy games as I have RPGM games. It's not the engine, it's the developers that make bad games.

Pretentious Goblin

Conversation Conqueror
Nov 3, 2017
I have more favorites that are on RPGM than on R'P. It's because R'P games very rarely get an earnest attempt at quality, challenging gameplay, which I do want in a game.