[POLL] Ren'py Cloud saves

Do you think that this feature is useful and would you use it your self if it was released?

• Total voters

aben

Donor
Jun 28, 2017
Howdy. So I've been having thoughts whether to create a 3rd party app which saves your Ren'py progress in the cloud and you can restore them with a simple secret key provided only to you, a vote system where people will vote if older saves work with newer versions of the game in order to prevent your game from breaking and might throw a few useful extras in there, would anyone be interested in such a project? would you use it? If you are a game developer would you like that feature implemented into your game?

Why do I think that this feature would be useful? :
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Almost in every game thread out there there are pages amongst pages full of people asking for saves because (well to be fair some are lazy) or some just lost their savegame due to a format forgetting to back up their saves, alongside other reasons.. it's inconvenient having to start the game from the beginning every single time because you're a dumbass (like me) , so this feature would be a life saver for some. What do you think? pick your vote and I will devote some time into this project hopefully creating this tool for the community.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Those people that keep asking for saves are a very niche group of completely incompetent individuals, I doubt any tool would solve that as they would just find another way to lose their saves.

Reactions: aben

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Howdy. So I've been having thoughts whether to create a 3rd party app which saves your Ren'py progress in the cloud and you can restore them with a simple secret key provided only to you,
And what would be the interest ?
Ren'Py already save twice on your computer, it's enough to secure your save files. And since it save once in a directory common to all Ren'Py games, and once in the game directory itself, it's not really hard to find the save files, nor to put them on an USB stick to share them between computers.

a vote system where people will vote if older saves work with newer versions of the game in order to prevent your game from breaking
~95% of the cases of save incompatibility can be avoided by declaring correctly your variables, as said by the official documentation, and not changing drastically the code of your game between two updates. If a game author don't cared to do those two basic things, I doubt he'll care about your vote system.

Almost in every game thread out there there are pages amongst pages full of people asking for saves because (well to be fair some are lazy) [...]
It's not "some" that are lazy, it's the quasi totality of them. You're saying that you're ready to spend part of your time and money for people who care so few about the game that they don't want to play it... Worse, many among them ask for a save each time a new update appear, what prove that they haven't even looked if, by chance, there's still save files present on their computer (hint: there's).
Let's be clear here, the majority of those persons wouldn't care about your system and continue to ask for a save file. They would be answered that they can use the cloud based save system, but still wouldn't care.

Reactions: aben