• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Playing Ren'Py games on Linux?

Flubberduck

Sep 14, 2018
I had them working, but I've been distro hopping as a new linux user and can't for the life of me remember how they were working, I could have swore I just used Wine to open the .exe file, but this doesn't currently seem to be working. Anything I've missed or should be doing?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I had them working, but I've been distro hopping as a new linux user and can't for the life of me remember how they were working, I could have swore I just used Wine to open the .exe file, but this doesn't currently seem to be working. Anything I've missed or should be doing?
Er... Ren'py can works natively on Linux, no need to bother with Wine. Just download either the "Linux", "Win/linux", "PC" or "all" version of the game, then launch the .sh file.

c00lb3ans

Aug 21, 2018
For games for which you cannot find native Linux builds, you can use this project to build an executable:

Has worked for me every time without fail.

hj56h4j6j45

Oct 11, 2017
Er... Ren'py can works natively on Linux, no need to bother with Wine. Just download either the "Linux", "Win/linux", "PC" or "all" version of the game, then launch the .sh file.
I´ve tried to launch .sh files on Suse, but get an error(also .py files)(with the console and also by "clicking"(make it executable)!
Can someone help me?
(1. I´m new in the linux world!
2. My english is not that good!)

c00lb3ans

Aug 21, 2018
I´ve tried to launch .sh files on Suse, but get an error(also .py files)(with the console and also by "clicking"(make it executable)!
Can someone help me?
(1. I´m new in the linux world!
2. My english is not that good!)
It would help if you shared what error you get.

In your terminal, when you do `./file.sh`, it should give an error message as to why the program isn't running. You can copy-paste that message here or if it's too long, use pastebin.com

If you are having trouble copy-pasting, you can post a screenshot too.

Either way no one can help without the error message. :)

hj56h4j6j45

Oct 11, 2017
If i try to run the command: "./file.sh", i get the error output:
"bash: ./Four: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden"
(file or folder not found)(I´d tried to run "Four Elements Trainer.sh").

Also tried te renpy tutorial from https://f95zone.to/threads/playing-on-linux-tutorials-tools-and-help.19523/
(making a few files in lib folder executable),
Same error in console, doubleclicking the .sh file opens the editor.

Last edited:

c00lb3ans

Aug 21, 2018
If i try to run the command: "./file.sh", i get the error output:
"bash: ./Four: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden"
(file or folder not found)(I´d tried to run "Four Elements Trainer.sh").

Also tried te renpy tutorial from https://f95zone.to/threads/playing-on-linux-tutorials-tools-and-help.19523/
(making a few files in lib folder executable),
Same error in console, doubleclicking the .sh file opens the editor.
My guess is you are typing out the file name manually and you typed `./Four Elements Trainer.sh`. This didn't work because of the spaces in the name. You need to escape the spaces. This is how you do it: `./Four\ Elements\ Trainer.sh`. (without the `)

The easier way is to use tab completion. When typing the file name, write `./Four` then press Tab. It should either complete the name for you or give you a list of candidates. Google "bash tab completion" for more on this.

Additionally, make sure you are in the directory where the game is. To check the directory, you can `pwd`. This will print the path of the current directory. You can also run `ls` to print the contents of the current directory.

hj56h4j6j45

Oct 11, 2017
Many thanks for your answer!
1. I´m using my mouse as often it can be used(Effectiveness).
2. "You need to escape the spaces."; that was the problem!
(I use copy/paste; copy the filename and paste it to the terminal; is there a better solution, with mouse(it´s faster then typing?)

Just tried to run "Four Elements Trainer", and it worked!

(with sounds!!!!, https://f95zone.to/threads/sounds-not-working-in-some-renpy-games.2904/)

Thank You @ksynwa

Last edited: