Pixel art pallete changer?

Eropixel

Game Developer
Dec 7, 2022
I made a paperdoll system that uses tons of pixel art parts but recoloring all the parts manually would be too much difficult.

Is therera program to replace the pallete colors of pixel art in bulk?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Yes, it called pixel indexing,
1685553971240.png
pixel indexing is an old technology, I don't know how many programs support it, but Gimp does, you can take you art, convert it to a color pallet, but you may have to re organize the pixel order.

or you can plan out the order of the color pallet and tell gimp to use a pre made pallet, and when you want to change colors you just switch between pre made color pallets. I am unsure of what game engines support dynamic color pallet swapping if you want to use it for games however.

shabadu

Jun 5, 2020
With some game engines, such as RPGM or Unity, there are either add-ons or shaders that already exist and would be much faster than manually re-coloring everything.

Something like for RPGM is what I'm thinking of. It doesn't do exact index changes AFAIK but it has a bunch of convenient features like targeting specific color channels or ranges, masking, and so on. This way you can maintain just the base assets and then introduce color variations via scripting, which can be further expanded for randomly generated outfits or player customization.

AlexFenec

Nov 20, 2022
In Lab Rats 2 the paperdoll system lets you recolor clothes, including different colors for distinct parts of the same clothing item.
So it looks like there is a way to achieve this in RenPy as well.

Alternatively you could work with something like and make a script that generates recolored versions of your parts.

Reactions: Eropixel