Picking an engine

EYECRED

Jun 6, 2017
So, I'm working(kinda?) on my first game right now, a 2D novelish trainer rpg(?!).Writing and concepting stuff, for now.The the big problem problem let's say, it's that I didn't actually settle on any engine as I have no programming capabilities, but I can do the rest(art,animation,writing and sound, kinda) and I'm willing to learn the language required for the engine and if needed hire an actual pro.So maybe, you guys could send me in the right direction, pretty please ?

What I want to be able to do is:
  • to implement stats for the girls and MC and other characters

• constant animation during dialog(not 100% necessary)

• to be able to have animated sex scenes

Can't really think of other things right now

The engines I've lurked so far:

Tyranobuilder - seems to be the easiest to use, as you could use it with no programming...Seems to support Live2d cubism wich would be quite nice for the dialog.Don't know if I can actually make it into an RPG

RPGMAKER MV[Javascript?] - I kinda like it as it has many elements I like wich can be improved on, but not really a big fan of the battles

RENPY[Pyton] - Like Tyrano the same problem no idea if I can really make it into a RPG

Unity[C#] - Lots of assests that would help, I think there's one that kinda helps potatoes that can't code like me?Everything kinda seems possible if you know what you are doing.But at the same time it kinda seems like it's the hardest of the ones I've listed.

As a last note I'm using Photoshop for drawing, AE and Dragonbones for animation.Any advice on wich engine should I pick?

Thanks alot !

P.S. Hope I didn't post this in the wrong section XD

Reactions: Krull

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
In your case it shouldnt be really a choice of engine but more a choice of a real team building. Too many try to do everything but that is by definition not possible.

You are gifted with artistic skills which is a advantage since you can create proper storyboards explaining what is supposed to happen when and in which sequence. Unity will require decent c# skills to get anything to work smoothly, as @Humlebien said please no rpgm and renpy still requires you to understand core principles of coding.

Coding is not just throwing some lines together that work but actually being creative too - just more on the algorithm side of things. Too many coders lack serious artistic skills (me included) - so you are best of to really pair up with a good buddy with the opposite skill set imho.

EYECRED

Jun 6, 2017
Yea, after looking more into rpgm, I've eliminated it from my mind.
I kinda decided what I'll do, following your advices.Since I do want to obiviously have the whole story and game dialog written down and have a good part of art assets down it will take me a few months, that's for sure.Meanwhile, I'll try to learn in tandem a few hours/day the basics of coding and c#, as I don't think it will hurt if I have a basics understanding of this side.Maybe I might be able to use Playmaker before I bring in reinforcements?That being said I've settled on Unity as it seems to be the one least limited.While I'll do all that, I'll put some money on the side as my buddies are pretty much none xD, therefore I'll have to hire someone.
Time will tell what I'll achive.Thanks alot guys!

One little thing tho.Wich has kinda been on my mind for some time.I have pretty much no law knowledge on this side of the bussiness.But let's say I'll a character that's owned by Blizzard for eg, that makes me unable to sell the game, correct?But, if the game would be free, would I still be suable?

Thanks once again guys!And sorry for going kinda offtopic with the question above, as I really rather not create another thread :p

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Since you are an artist yourself you should know the basics of copyrights ;) It all boils down to how much effort will have to be invested into a possible lawsuit by the copyright holder. If not outright a lawsuit a cease order might be a quick thing you are facing when using well known models from well established publishers.

All this is completely outside of the scope of 'payment' or 'free' game - copyright law does not judge the payment but the illegal usage of assets. Without explicit permissions there is not much room to use any asset from any other artist without conducting something illegal.

As of your blizzard example: There have been many examples where figures have been used. Whoremaker is probably the most famous one in this category. Afaik they never had any issues with blizzard themselves as their work was basically considered 'fanart'. But that still doesnt give you any security - simply be aware of that you might get into trouble unless you seek explicit permissions.

EYECRED

Jun 6, 2017
Yea, this kinda reminds me of "Justice unlimited", I think it's the games name, but from what've seen he/she, had to change the name of the game but still continue to use the characters. I'll have to look more into this too.As, mythe story isn't really based on copyrighted stuff but those would be just a "bonus" let's say.
Thanks alot mate, love ya ^^!

Burt

Ignoring Social Media
Dec 14, 2016
toolkitxx very nice detailed advice impressed

killstrike25

Jun 3, 2017
Yea, this kinda reminds me of "Justice unlimited", I think it's the games name, but from what've seen he/she, had to change the name of the game but still continue to use the characters. I'll have to look more into this too.As, mythe story isn't really based on copyrighted stuff but those would be just a "bonus" let's say.
Thanks alot mate, love ya ^^!
Unity is a insanely good engine because it supports a variety of game types but if you are an artist it should be easy for you to create your assets

Here is a helpful video unrelated to Unity but focuses on the core mechanics of C# Assuming your first language is English this is the best tutorial I have ever watched because it puts C# into basic terms without assuming you know every detail from the start

Then I would suggest following along with the Unity Learn videos on Unity3d's site

On a second note I am unsure how complex it is to code using Flash but I have seen some impressive art styles using Adobe Flash

Personally I feel unity is the most versatile because you can change your coding language preference

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
The most popular games (of all time) are made in Flash. It's simplicity is a perfect place for beginners to learn.

Creating a storyboard timeline in flash is a snap, and expanding is as easy as click and drag.
Once you have your main story layed out, you can play it start to finish, as a flash movie.
Building from there as you develop other story arcs, and begin converting the VN into a game.
Even if you ultimately chose another engine for your game, what you learned from flash will help you along the way.

Reactions: EYECRED

EYECRED

Jun 6, 2017
@
Definetly going for unity.Seeing that you can use your Dragonbones animations and there's turn-based(as I really want a pretty interesting battle system) asset already in there sold me the deal.
Thanks for for the learning material I've got alot of it now thanks to you and .
English isn't my native lang, but I do understand pretty much everything as it is kinda close to my lang.But, I do have to work quite a bit on my grammar and enrich my vocabulary ^^

@
Never thought of using flash, definetly not creating a storyboard.I'll try and see if it's confortable to me.

@
Thanks buddy!

Hopefully the end of the time I gave my self to write the story and prepare lots of art assets and animations. I'll have atleast a basic understanding of how things work in Unity and C#.Even tho planing on hiring/partnering with an actual programmer, I want to understand how things work to not ask for stupid or impossible things.And some time after that we will create something that's worth your time.Time will tell xD

Another quick question(this time for real).Do you guys think is it worth going for 4k res?

Reactions: Krull
Jul 1, 2017
I also work with photoshop illustrator and AE, Maya, 3DS the best of Unreal is that practically no need to pry code and you have professional results

Last edited:

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Just a heads up.. it seems flash is dead or dying. So is java. That leaves Unity and Renpy since tyranobuilder could have bugs. But you could also consider HTML5, Twine, or even GameMaker.

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
Why not UE4 (Unreal Engine 4)?

EYECRED

Jun 6, 2017
Well, mostly because when I think Unreal, my mind doesn't go at 2D xD.I'll have enough time to "study" the situation after I'll have a better understanding of programming and engines.As it will take quite a bit of time.As I decided to make in the first place, a motion comic out of the story I'm writing.So, I'll be forcing myself to become a better writer and at the same time have lots of assets ready for the game and definetly more time to learn the basics of programming.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Just a heads up.. it seems flash is dead or dying. So is java. That leaves Unity and Renpy since tyranobuilder could have bugs. But you could also consider HTML5, Twine, or even GameMaker.
When Steve Jobs made his infamous "Flash is dead" speech, the one you're quoting. He clearly wasn't serious, he was just trying to explain to Apple cult members why they couldn't use Flash. R.I.P. Mr Jobs. Flash will never die, it is immortal.

steamydev

Jul 17, 2017
I know people like to shit on RPGM, but it's still the fastest way to prototype something and figure out if it's a project that you have enough passion to stick with or one that actually resonates with players.

captainJugs

Jun 7, 2017
Your best trying to find an open source game you can modify to your game. If it is simple enough to understand it is a great way to learn.

Game engines do all the hard work so you don't really need to be a fully experienced programmer to make something happen. You write simple "scripts" that connect to the objects in the game.

Also, Python is a good starting language to learn.

Indivi

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2017
I know people like to shit on RPGM, but it's still the fastest way to prototype something and figure out if it's a project that you have enough passion to stick with or one that actually resonates with players.
Agreed. It's easy to make shitty rtp games with rpgm, but it's a pretty powerful engine if you know how to make it work. Personally, I'd never want to make an rpg with anything other than rpgm, but it does admittedly have a lot of limitations (at least for Ace. Haven't really played around with MV.)