• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM Peephole - To See Our Destiny [Dev Thread] [Coming Soon]

Nihilism Studio

May 14, 2022
PeepHolePortadaF95B.jpg

Hi guys, first of all nice to meet you, I'm Reguen, and a while ago we formed Nhilism Studio with a friend. We want to dedicate ourselves to making adult games that are fun to play and of the highest quality possible. We take our work very seriously, and we intend that our projects step strong on this path.
I am dedicated to programming and artistic design, while the other member, Nirbeat, is dedicated to musical composition and sound effects.
Without further ado, I will present to you what is going to be our first game.

PEEPHOLE - To See Our Destiny

Peephole is a 2.5D sideview adventure game in which the player must make use of the game's tools so that the protagonist can interact in different ways with the other characters and thus obtain different results in the story. The player will have a system of days and times to carry out his actions, as well as a work system to earn money that will be used to buy objects that help the game progress. It also has a character stats system that will determine the outcome of interactions.

Game Plot

A young student notices that the vacant apartment next door has now been rented. Out of curiosity, he decides to peek through an old hole in the wall, and discovers that the new tenant is a young and attractive woman, who immediately arouses his interest. However, he will not be the only one interested in her.

Characters

Takeda Hisoka:
As he begins his break from college, he meets Hatsuharu Eri, his new neighbor. At 21 years old, without ever having a relationship with a girl, he has constant sexual desires with any woman who approaches him; however, his shyness does not allow him to even speak to them. Learning of the existence of a hole between her departments, he can't help but use it to spy on her, both for her satisfaction and to try to get to know her or find a way to get closer. Will this be a benefit or the opposite?

Hatsuharu Eri:
A village girl who always dreamed of being an idol, a dream that led her to move to the capital in search of opportunities. Due to hard experiences in the past, and unexpected situations on the way to fulfill her dream, her self-esteem was greatly affected, and even though everyone sees her as very beautiful and talented, she finds it hard to believe. Who will be able to approach her and discover her insecurities?

HatsuharuEri.jpg

Yamada Natsuki:
Self-conscious about her age and a stagnant life in her opinion, this leads her to have a temperamental attitude, to the point that sometimes she seems to mistreat the employees of the eating house where she is in charge, and where Hisoka has his part-time job. What are the real reasons why she has that attitude?

YamadaNatsuki.jpg

Takemoto Masaru:
With a totally opposite personality to his co-worker and friend Hisoka, Masaru is outgoing, naughty, and is always on the lookout for any chance to benefit from any situation. Will he be able to profit at the expense of a friend?

MasaruPresentación.jpg

Fujimoto Taishi:
Moody, quiet, lonely, and careless in appearance, Hisoka's old neighbor with whom he never exchanged anything but cold greetings, why doesn't he seem to have the same demeanor when it comes to Eri?

TaishiPresentación.jpg

Genre:
Adventure, Corruption, Dating sim, Multiple endings, NTR (avoidable), Side-scroller, Voyeurism

Well, after this brief presentation I want to answer some questions that may arise, you can gladly ask me any questions you want and I will answer them as soon as possible.

• You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Soon I will publish images in game. And I'm going to tell you more about the mechanics and the work to be done.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If someone wants to support us in this project, you can do so on our , but even if they don't, I want to thank everyone who helps us improve our project with constructive criticism, or by sharing it with their friends.

Thanks for your time! see you soon

PortadaEri.jpg

Last edited:

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
Love the aesthetic of the game and the planned tags, definitely going into my watchlist.

May I ask what engine you are using, since it is tagged Other I assume something like Godot or GameMaker Studio ?

Good luck to the dev team :)

Reactions: Nihilism Studio

Nihilism Studio

May 14, 2022
Love the aesthetic of the game and the planned tags, definitely going into my watchlist.

May I ask what engine you are using, since it is tagged Other I assume something like Godot or GameMaker Studio ?

Good luck to the dev team :)
Thank you very much for your comment!!! :)

We are currently working with Construct 3. We made some minigames with this engine and we are very happy with the results and the speed with which it allows you to work.
Although surely for future projects we will use Unity.

Looks great. Excited to see where it goes.
Thank you, we are sharing the development process, we hope you like the final result

Reactions: Bchargo

Nihilism Studio

May 14, 2022
Hi guys, I want to tell you about the things we've been working on these days.

Graphic section.

The first thing was to update the sprites and animations of the characters, since the design of the characters was modified, and incidentally I wanted to take the opportunity to improve the quality of both the sprites and the animations.

This is a before and after example of Eri's base sprite. (All the different clothes of her are not finished yet)

Eri-Casual-Idle_00001.png EriUnderwear_00002.png

And this is Natsuki, she didn't have any sprites so far, she just had a placeholder. Here you can see all the versions of it.

NatsukiWork_00001.png NatsukiCasual_00002.png NatsukiUnderwaer_00004.png NatsukiNaked_00004.png

The sprites of the 3 male characters need to be updated, but they are easier because they do not present as many changes.

I was also working on the scenarios, Hisoka's apartment just needs a few more details, more than anything on her balcony.
The bathroom, which has placeholders, but is not missing that much, and the view of the outside of the building, which is still very raw, all the graphics are just grouting elements already used.
HisokasApartment.jpg
HisokasBathroom.jpg
Outside.jpg

I'm also working on the inventory, which mechanics are finished, but visually I was using simple flat shapes.

This is the old version of the inventory:

Inventory.jpg

And this is a prototype of what the new inventory could look like, but I'm not sure yet.

NewInventory.jpg

The scenes of the game are the coldest so far, I have a storyboard, and several sketches of each plane, but they still have a lot of work to do to be complete. But this is what I want to dedicate myself to at the last moment, because first I want to make the gameplay fluid, fun, and pleasing to the eye.

Technical section.

Now every time the character can interact with an object on the stage, an indicator will appear above.

Labels.jpg

There are objects that can only be used on certain occasions, for example, we can only use "shampoo" or "soap" when we are taking a bath, this will increase hygiene more than if we take a bath without using these objects. They can be used more than once.

Another example is "Ramen", which cannot be consumed without having been cooked before, but unlike other instant foods, these feed more, in addition to improving mood and stamina.

Cooking.jpg

We are working so much so that the sounds and the music are much more immersive and leave you with a pleasant experience when playing.
Although we made a great achievement in this section, we are going a little further, and although I cannot show you this yet, I will soon.

Although I said that at the moment there would not be a version for mobile devices, I am working on it, although I still cannot guarantee that it will be ready at the same time as the version for desktop devices.

Sound section.

This is taken care of by my partner Nirbeat, who is very ambitious just like me, and he is composing several versions of each song to better suit each specific moment.
Soon we will show you fragments of this section as well.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this, and I hope you like the results.
Any questions you want to ask me I will answer them with pleasure!

See you soon!

Last edited:

Nihilism Studio

May 14, 2022
Hello everyone!... I'm working on a video to show you the new improvements in Peephole (new sprites, new scenes, new NPCs, music, among other things). But I have to make a few more aesthetic improvements so that everything is 100% polished.
So for today I'm going to leave you some GIFs where you can see some interface improvements in the inventory and stores, as well as see a bit of the settings menu.

This is the new inventory, in the previous comment you can see an image of the old one, not only did I improve the graphic section, but I also separated the items by category, improved the icons of all the objects and added several new ones as well, in addition to some changes to his skill upgrades.

(The Sprite you are seeing from the MC is not the new one)

PeepholeInventoryPreview_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif

Here you can see a vending machine and a shop (the shop npc is a whole animated sprite). You can see the new interface to buy items, in this case the vending machine, each store has its own interface... In this case I am not showing you the store interface because it lacks a few small adjustments to divide the items into categories as the inventory does.

In order to see the animated NPC inside the shop, I had to create the shop divided into 9 different parts... This is how this fake 3d works

PeepholeStorePreview_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif

This is a small sample of the settings menu, you can see the change of languages throughout the interface when choosing one. And you can also see a little bit of the loading menu

PeepholeSettingPreview_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif

And this is just a little visit to our dear neighbor. (also with her old Sprite)

PeepholeRingPreview_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif

Sorry for the poor quality of the GIFs, but converting a FULL HD video to GIF is not something that looks very good, or at least I'm not an expert in it. (If you have suggestions I would appreciate them)

In a few days I will be sharing videos with the new improvements. It's less and less until they can play Peephole, I'm very excited.

By the way, I also created a YouTube channel to upload videos, and a Twitter to share information.

If you want you can follow me, soon I will be uploading content.

-

Thank you all, see you soon!

-Reguen

Last edited:
Reactions: Catapo and BaasB

Nihilism Studio

May 14, 2022
Hello everyone!... I haven't told you about the progress of the game for several days, but there is a good reason. Since the start of the pandemic, I had moved back in with my parents, and luckily I was able to move into an apartment. I'm still settling in, so between all that and my work, I didn't have much free time, but this week everything will be back to normal.

I've been working a lot on non-visual aspects, like functions that allow me to sync background songs when changing locations. That is to say, we have several versions for the same song which varies depending on where the MC is, for example, if you are in the living room you will hear a song, but if you go into the bathroom you will hear a different version of that same song. .. it's a bit complex to explain but soon I'll upload a video so you can appreciate it.

I was also fixing some bugs that were happening with the new inventory and shops. Everything is now working correctly.

In the visual section, I keep working on different scenarios of the game at the same time, maybe I should focus on one until I finish it 100%, but doing the same thing sometimes tires me a bit, so I try to do different things.

Balcony.jpg

This is an example of how the MC's balcony is looking. At the moment there are no clouds because they vary according to the weather, they are details that perhaps I could ignore, but I am that obsessive.

The last thing I wanted to comment on is that I showed the game to some people close to me, and they were all surprised and liked it a lot, but I received a common comment and that is that the game has more male characters than female. I had a clear reason for this, and that is that you were competing for two women, against two men, with the possibility of keeping both, or neither. But if most people pointed this out to me as something to improve, surely most of you will come to think the same. So I got to work on it...
My plan was to add female characters in later episodes if the game was successful, so I already had stories planned for two female characters, so I decided to alter the story a bit so I could bring in this new girl from the beginning of the game....
So right now I'm letting you see a first image of her...

TakedaIzumi.jpg

She is Takeda Izumi, and not only by observing a little can you realize that she has the same last name as the MC. So I think I'm going to have to add a new tag ;)
In the next update of this post I will tell and show more of it.

But for now that's all, so I say goodbye...

See you soon.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Lerd0 and Catapo

Nihilism Studio

May 14, 2022
Hi So long...

I have a lot to tell you, but I don't know where to start...

I was hoping to have the first chapter of the game finished by mid-August, and it's already mid-August, but I ran into a lot of problems and had to make decisions.

The first problem I had was the difficulty with the 2.5D view, yes, I liked it a lot, but the engine is not very well optimized, and when I wanted to also make a version for mobile I realized that it did not work as well as on PC , it also caused me problems to locate the triggers correctly, since having mixed two cameras, one in 3d, and the other in 2d, it became problematic to locate certain objects, although it was difficult I was doing it anyway.

The second problem was the time it took to create the game's scenarios. And the bigger the scenarios were, the slower and other problems I didn't expect started to appear.

The third and most important, which led me to make a final decision was the economy. Although it is known that there is a global economic problem due to issues that I am not going to talk about here, in our country, Argentina, we were terribly affected. Our currency devalued by an extremely large amount, and the engine that I was using needed to have an annual license to pay for, and that payment had to be made in June. The price was more than double what I had paid back then, and on top of that I moved into an apartment by myself, so I wasn't in a position to pay that amount, which led me to change a lot of things.

The first decision was to change the engine, but this was going to require redoing everything from scratch, but thinking about it a lot I decided to do it the same, so now I find myself working with RPG Maker MZ.

I'd done quite a bit of work with RPG Maker in the past, so it wasn't a problem. The trailer was ridiculously fast, however I don't want to make a generic rpg maker game, so I don't use any default assets.
The gameplay stays pretty much the same, and what's more, I was able to add things that I didn't expect to be able to do with the old engine.
We are very happy with the results, although I still have a lot to do...

I've done enough of the first chapter, and the scenes I had done are still good for this new game, so the delay won't be too big.
I currently have all the character sprites done, in 8 directions with 12 frame animations. And right now I'm working on the stages...

I plan to show you the results in a few days, but for now I'm going to show you an image to give you an idea of how things are going.

screen1.jpg
screen2.jpg

I have all the stages made with simple shapes and flat colors, now I am replacing everything with their drawings and textures, I also have to finish the expressions of some of the main characters, although that is much easier.

Once all the stages are finished, and some small details, I'm going to integrate all the scenes and conditions necessary to shape the game, many of those things are already done...

I'm going to try and have an alpha version by the end of the month so I can get your feedback.

In any case, I will surely upload more of the progress these days, and I also have to edit this entire post.

And if you want I can show you everything that was discarded, such as the isometric stages made in 3d, or many other things that I decided not to do to speed up the process...

Well it's time to say goodbye, and I apologize for not giving news in so long, I just wanted to have a good base to show... and although I didn't show much yet, I promise that you will soon be able to enjoy this game.

Thank you all.