PC help (freeing up storage)

fisherboy117

Sep 21, 2019
Hey, thanks for taking a look at my post.

I'm not really great with PC's at all. So much new shit has come out and i cant comprehend half this shit.

Alright sorry, i just need some help figuring out how to really view all of my storage/ freeing up disk space and shit. like old saves for games of all sorts or old files that are hidden in the back
I've got 110 gigs with only 14 free and there is no way in hell that ive used even half of that. and i know that alot is necessary programs and files but what about the rest.

Just looking for some tips or maybe a decent program to run.
thanks in advance.

*Thanks staff for moving my post, my bad*edit

Last edited:

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Memory is cheap these days so start by buying more. 1tb hdd is about 40$ and 1tb QLC ssd is 100$.

Windows itself takes about 30gb, besides that largest amount of space is taken by games or movies. Programs like ccleaner wont save up much space compared to just deleting media you dont need.
The truest space saving measure would be wiping a drive clean and installing fresh windows on it, and after only install necessary programs.

Reactions: fisherboy117

Loqic

Royal Jelly
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like you don't have a lot of space to work with. I'd also say it would not be a bad idea to get a larger drive.
As for save files, Ren'py files are found here in windows C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\RenPy, RPGM usually in it's own game folder and everything else really depends on the game.

fisherboy117

Sep 21, 2019
Memory is cheap these days so start by buying more. 1tb hdd is about 40$ and 1tb QLC ssd is 100$.

Windows itself takes about 30gb, besides that largest amount of space is taken by games or movies. Programs like ccleaner wont save up much space compared to just deleting media you dont need.
The truest space saving measure would be wiping a drive clean and installing fresh windows on it, and after only install necessary programs.
Yea ive thought about just hdd or a ssd but i just dont use it enough,
question though that im not sure you can answer. ive got a 1tb ssd for my xbox, im not sure what kind it is but is it possible to use it for both pc and console?

ZeroKonD

Aug 17, 2019
Depending on if you use Win10 so can you check how much different programs use in regard to memory storage on your computer, and also give access to remove certain programs that aren't "essential" for your computer to run. To get to it, you Right-Click on your Window Logo button (it is located by default at the bottom-left corner of your screen) and then click on "Apps and Functions". A list of different programs will show, both default programs on your computer, and programs that you have downloaded. There is also a filter to check through different harddrives (if you use more than one) for convenience. Another little help is to clear the cache from your browser and delete/remove temporary files from your computer. Hope this is to any help and good luck.

Last edited: