Patreon Is Hardening Their 'Adult Content' Guidelines. Discussion Thread

basedebased

Nov 4, 2018
Honestly buying crypto today is really easy, all you need is a debit/credit card. I dont even know if creating a patreon clone is necessary. A developer only needs a wallet to receive payment and that's all.

basedebased

Nov 4, 2018
Oddly enough, the payment aspects are the least of your worries in building a Patreon-like site. There's a ton of work into building a workable site like that. Not only do you have to do all the user-facing stuff, but there's a pile of back office administration stuff to get working that end users never see. (I'm in the business - it's one of those "iceberg" things - end users only see about 10% of what you have to build.)

Aside from the volatility aspect, te problem with crypto-currency is that the average user has no clue how to do that. Credit cards are easy for end users, but they you're trapped into their rules. If you try to go any other direction, 90% of the users that might be willing to pay (and that's a small fraction to start off with) won't be able to figure it out.

buying crypto on coinmama or coinbase is dead simple. maybe have tutorials ready for users on how to do that ? a better option would be creating a site that works as an exchange, allowing users to simply "swipe" the card and everything is done automatically.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Game Developers, for the most part, want a way to sell monthly access to there games in a SaaS-style. Where you don't own the game your renting access for 30 days. Video games are all going this way. Problem devs have with Patreon is people feel like it's optional when developers are looking to make money off of there work. That is what we are working on.

basedebased

Nov 4, 2018
Problem devs have with Patreon is people feel like it's optional when developers are looking to make money off of there work. That is what we are working on.
care to elaborate ?

Didn't Patreon start as a way to fund creative people fulltime ? Biggest problem with the "renting" part is that people expect new content all the time and developers never finish their products.

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Game Developers, for the most part, want a way to sell monthly access to there games in a SaaS-style. Where you don't own the game your renting access for 30 days. Video games are all going this way.
A few AAA game development sudios, sure, but by and large, no, most game developers aren't looking to do the SaaS ("software as a service") model, because they're aware that it's a model that rarely works. The percentage of "monthly subscription" games which actually make a profit is tiny, most end up going "free to play" after a few months.

Problem devs have with Patreon is people feel like it's optional when developers are looking to make money off of there work. That is what we are working on.
Huh? What devs are you referring to? Feel like what is optional?

I could be wrong, but based on the above, I'd bet money that what you think developers "want" and "feel" doesn't match reality particularly well.

Mr. Unaware

Mr. Unaware Studios
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 10, 2018
Damn, I just started my Patreon recently and stumbled upon this post, since my game of course has rape.

Anyone got their Patreon account banned for having rape in the game? Or they just ban for referencing it in the post/description?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I know ASLPro3D had he's game stopped but he explained why it has what it has in, like rape.

If its intregal part of your story/character build and not to exploit rape as an act then they would allow it but only after they have temporarily banned you... So up to you.

You can always have a patreon version and non patreon version as i use to have.

Damn, I just started my Patreon recently and stumbled upon this post, since my game of course has rape.

Anyone got their Patreon account banned for having rape in the game? Or they just ban for referencing it in the post/description?

Reactions: ASLPro3D

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
@UnawareWorld, as @MrKnobb mentioned, we were examined by Patreon regarding the rape scene (and incest) that we had in our game "Wicked Choices: Book One"... while we made no reference about the subject matter in our game on Patreon, some of the Patrons saw fit to report the content to Patreon... so don't think by not mentioning it, that it will stay unnoticed... there are always those out there who view themselves as SJW and will feel the need to report you.

In my case, we were briefly shut down (think it was a total of two hours) while they spoke with us and tried our game. After a brief explanation about our rape scene, as well as, the incest content, they turned us back on and suffered no further problem.

The best I can suggest to you is to be sure the reason of why what you have in your game is in it... if it is for the sake of pounding the pud, particularly if it is rape (particularly in the midst of the MeToo movement) then there is a good chance that your game will get banned and you will lose your money and time spent building your game for everyone.

As @MrKnobb suggested, removing it from the game and adding it as a patch that is available to download from here or elsewhere is the best way to be sure that your game won't get banned for having rape or incest content if it is for FAPPING reasons that it is in the game... and be sure NOT to mention where people can acquire that patch (or that it even exists) on Patreon... don't worry, people will find it.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Buy me a coffee has added banning of adult content to there TOS
If we did any patches they would be on Lawdpatcher.com not on this site. The main thing is though that you can't put trigger words on your Patreon. Mastercard probably uses G2 scanning on there site now

Reactions: User_17502

Mr. Unaware

Mr. Unaware Studios
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 10, 2018
I see, thanks for clearing that up for me. I really appreciate it.

Well, rape is an "optional" content, since game is choice-based, so theoretically you can avoid it entirely, if you choose wisely, but removing it all will pretty much ruin the plot, so meh...

U

User_17502

Yeah this new round of puritanical bullshit is even worse than the salem witch trials. At least there the girls could run around naked. Here we are fucking paying Patreon and they are kicking people off like FOW retroactively. They also are going after subscribestar. This is fucking bullshit.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Joy.

Subscribestar was looking promising, so I'll be interested in seeing what they work out payment wise.

Of course, I'm more interested in anonymous CCs, because with those you can limit your exposure, but Paypal didn't lke those in the first place... The big thing is do you TRUST that person/company that you just gave your CC info, and maybe more info on top of that too.

Yeah, there's the 'coin' thing, but that market is more volatile than a school of piranhas sometimes, and some of us like actual bonafide cash money... note the 'crash' of the graphics card market, which is good if you are looking for cheap graphics cards right now (not just the used ones on Ebay, but also the new ones that have dropped in price/are on sale), but not so good for the coin miners.

Reactions: User_17502

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
Yeah this new round of puritanical bullshit is even worse than the salem witch trials.
Umm... No. Innocent people were killed during the Salem witch trials. This is merely removing one or two places where some people can raise money. That isn't even remotely close to being as bad killing innocents due to a superstitious freak-out over nothing.

Also, what's going on isn't entirely "puritanical" in nature. Some of it definitely is, yes, but some of it is also due to people on the other side of the aisle trying to remove any perceived support for bigotry or hate speech from their businesses.

Businesses have a right to choose which content they provide, as long as they don't base who they get it from or give it to purely upon bigotry. That said, the market should be fully capable of picking up the slack that other companies want to give them by dumping certain customers, though it may take a little while for those other businesses to carve out that niche for themselves. In the mean time, unfortunately, some innocents may get hung out to dry, and that sucks.

U

User_17502

Umm... No. Innocent people were killed during the Salem witch trials. This is merely removing one or two places where some people can raise money. That isn't even remotely close to being as bad killing innocents due to a superstitious freak-out over nothing.

Also, what's going on isn't entirely "puritanical" in nature. Some of it definitely is, yes, but some of it is also due to people on the other side of the aisle trying to remove any perceived support for bigotry or hate speech from their businesses.

Businesses have a right to choose which content they provide, as long as they don't base who they get it from or give it to purely upon bigotry. That said, the market should be fully capable of picking up the slack that other companies want to give them by dumping certain customers, though it may take a little while for those other businesses to carve out that niche for themselves. In the mean time, unfortunately, some innocents may get hung out to dry, and that sucks.
Hyperbole is lost on you.

“other side of the isle”?

I don’t give a fuck why they removed Sargon of Akkad.
But when they kicked FOW I knew this was some PC bullshit. Adult Content makes up nearly a quarter of patreons income. However they won’t kick off the camwhores and e-girls because that’s “sexist”.
I am not calling for them to be removed but I want consistency instead of the “bigotry” this platform is pushing. But obviously they won’t do that because it’s “disrespecting wamen” and against their narrative.

“One or two”? Do you even know how many patreon competitors have been run out of buisiness because they didn’t follow patreons ideological slant? This is a forced monopoly thanks to paypal and stripes collusion.

Reactions: Beanjam and ReMeDy

Pantisocrat

Jul 3, 2017
I am not calling for them to be removed but I want consistency instead of the “bigotry” this platform is pushing.

To be clear, I don't like a lot of Patreon's decisions in this vein. But I'm telling you now, agitating for 'consistency', especially according to some weird moral-agnostic conception of 'consistency' will never, ever achieve anything except getting more people banned. It will never get fewer people banned or anybody unbanned. This 'demanding consistency' is functionally just a call for more bans.

And maybe you'll say you care more about consistency than about bans. Fair enough, but I couldn't disagree more.