Patreon Is Hardening Their 'Adult Content' Guidelines. Discussion Thread

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
Patreon page of Luxee ( ) is down. This one will have it hard to remove incest

Reactions: Caligula

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Patreon page of Luxee ( ) is down. This one will have it hard to remove incest
In one hand, due to the fact that the father return to his family after so many time, just make him a stranger the mother encountered randomly in the bar. And his own sister is just a friend.
In the other hand, now the story mean nothing ; everyone of the character is a brainless girl who fall deep in love for a total stranger in less than two days.

Ignazzio

Engaged Member
Donor
May 8, 2017
In one hand, due to the fact that the father return to his family after so many time, just make him a stranger the mother encountered randomly in the bar. And his own sister is just a friend.
In the other hand, now the story mean nothing ; everyone of the character is a brainless girl who fall deep in love for a total stranger in less than two days.
Yeah it can go like that even tho Luxee confirmed he won't change anything. As for a story goes: middle age single mother hooking up with a guy met in a bar is kinda believable. Her daughters going for him not really but still that's 1000% more realistic than the same situation but with his own daughters which is simply impossible. It's not like it was story-based to start with. But nothing will change so it doesn't matter. He will cut out incest and Ada and release a patch to make them back.

Justanx

Donor
Feb 3, 2017
I find it so hypocritical of Patreon. They hit me up to sign a petition to stop the current bill(USA) about NET neutrality which can lead to censorship. They are censoring shit themselves. I mean I get it I wont support the bill and I have voiced it to my congressman. Plus they have the nerve to ask for fucking money. I wrote a very nasty letter, lol. They wrote a little letter stating that they understand my concerns, but they are trying adhere to the laws in other countries. TO keep patreon alive there. Blah, they want me to stand up but they won't.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
Trying to adhere to the laws in other countries? To keep Patreon alive there? How does that make sense, its not a multi country company I think, and you can not at all adhere to laws in many countries. There are so many retarded laws, some more enforced than others, but thats the lamest excuse.

Just a small example, China banned all video game consoles from 2000-2014, also basically banned the Flower Jasmine because of a rebel group having that name, Sweden and Japan had a public dance ban for many years. The philippines outright banned all video games in the 1980s, Greek did that in 2002 with a stupid blanket law for a while, and so on and so forth. The world is in total fledling stages regarding anything and its changing all the time, one step forward one step back.

Justifying their own conceited reasons to ban fictional content with that bullshit is really aggravating, especially since I dont really know any country where for example fictional incest is banned at all. And the other things they dont want also have varying degrees of outright being allowed in real life to at least being completly allowed in fiction. Saying "we dont want that here" would be the best explanation, which is basically what we know is their reason anyway.

I find it so hypocritical of Patreon.
You said it there best honestly, so im stopping this rant now.

Last edited:

seemsgreat

Oct 29, 2017
most of the favorite games i have supported for months is now permanently changing its content, like chloe18, dating my daughter, i think the time for "fetish" games on patreon is over. as soon as the game becomes "popular" it will be changed from what it originally got support for, so its meaningless to use that platform for anyone who does not like getting scammed.

i supported 20+ games on patreon but i am now dropping all my support, and feel devastated about it, but i will find some way to still support the developers who did not cave in and betrayed their supporters.

Reactions: kzk0987

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
most of the favorite games i have supported for months is now permanently changing its content, like chloe18, dating my daughter, i think the time for "fetish" games on patreon is over. as soon as the game becomes "popular" it will be changed from what it originally got support for, so its meaningless to use that platform for anyone who does not like getting scammed.

i supported 20+ games on patreon but i am now dropping all my support, and feel devastated about it, but i will find some way to still support the developers who did not cave in and betrayed their supporters.
Changing their Patreon page / content on their Patreon page does not mean the game has changed. Most games (using Renpy, Unreal, and a plethora of others) will be back to normal (or abnormal, depending on your point of view) with a small patch.

The game creators are making these games for different reasons, one of those reasons is making money. To be able to make money, they need a way to market, publish, and receive payment. Those are not trivial things, and especially the payment part can be tricky if you're dealing with adult content, especially taboo such. Hence, Patreon is a nice, comfortable place to stay, especially if you have supporters.

What you should do, instead of withdrawing your support, is continue to support creators who, no doubt, have experienced worse conditions and problems due to Patreon's changes. Again, most of these creators (or others) will provide patches for their games. Most creators have, and had, a vision when creating their games.

NaughtyScales

Dec 28, 2017
Why they don't change platform ? Market already have some competitors.
Patreon hit not only adult content but some peoples with "hate speech" or politics view.

Last edited:
U

User_215882

Why they don't change platform ? Market already have some competitors.
Patreon hit not only adult content but some peoples with "hate speech" or politics view.
Like some have said. You can use PayPal on Patreon. That alone makes it better for most people online. Theres no one going to be leaving the site any time soon if PayPal cant be used on the alternative. So devs are just going to have to continue being sneaky hiding content, making mods, and using blogs/discord to discuss with their patrons about whats actually in the game.

NaughtyScales

Dec 28, 2017
Theres no one going to be leaving the site any time soon if PayPal cant be used on the alternative.
Nutaku and DLsite English don't have PayPal ? I see many developers make fully legal projects with original content so in theory there will not be problem move there.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The problem isn't just the use of PayPal, but what it imply.
A lot of game's are in fact created by a team, and it create legal issue if the site don't offer the possibility to hold the money on an online account, then distribute it to the team. By example, if the money goes on your bank account, you've earned it and will have to pay taxes on it. IRS (or the equivalent in your country) don't care if it was just some transit. For them, you've earned this money, then spent it, you must pay taxes on it, dot. There's some options which can be used, but you'll have a lot of works and tons of papers, just for this. And cross your finger that they don't find it suspicious and therefore start to look deep into your situation.
There's also the possibility to create your own society... But it's not a simple thing to do. It will make the team leader's job more difficult, there will still have taxes to pay, and even more expenses just because of the society.

So, either the site offer this online account (whatever the way they do it), or the creators are fucked in a way or another.

a meme

Sep 26, 2017
A lot of game's are in fact created by a team, and it create legal issue if the site don't offer the possibility to hold the money on an online account, then distribute it to the team. By example, if the money goes on your bank account, you've earned it and will have to pay taxes on it. IRS (or the equivalent in your country) don't care if it was just some transit. For them, you've earned this money, then spent it, you must pay taxes on it, dot. There's some options which can be used, but you'll have a lot of works and tons of papers, just for this. And cross your finger that they don't find it suspicious and therefore start to look deep into your situation.
There's also the possibility to create your own society... But it's not a simple thing to do. It will make the team leader's job more difficult, there will still have taxes to pay, and even more expenses just because of the society.

So, either the site offer this online account (whatever the way they do it), or the creators are fucked in a way or another.
You're supposed to pay taxes and social security contributions on that income, whether you're alone or in a team. When you're in a team, you can probably book team wages as freelance payments without actually having to start a real company.

That said, I'm pretty sure that a lot of our patreon superheroes are on welfare while making thousands of dollars per month.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
You're supposed to pay taxes and social security contributions on that income, whether you're alone or in a team.
No. When you're a team, you're supposed to pay taxes on your part of this income. There's a lot of teams who earn more than $20.000 month, but the leader of the team only touch what ? $3.000 maximum. When the time come to pay your taxes, there's a enormous difference between $36.000 and $240.000.

NaughtyScales

Dec 28, 2017
A lot of game's are in fact created by a team, and it create legal issue if the site don't offer the possibility to hold the money on an online account, then distribute it to the team.
Aren't PayPal forced report to the tax if your income more than 10 000$ per year?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Aren't PayPal forced report to the tax if your income more than 10 000$ per year?
I don't know but, as far as I understood, it's not a problem since the pledges goes first on your patreon account and you can distribute the money from here. So, only your part goes to your PayPal account, then (or not) on your bank account.
In a way it's like a society's bank account, except that you don't have to pay taxes on the society and way less paperwork to do.

NaughtyScales

Dec 28, 2017
I don't know but, as far as I understood, it's not a problem since the pledges goes first on your patreon account and you can distribute the money from here. So, only your part goes to your PayPal account, then (or not) on your bank account.
In a way it's like a society's bank account, except that you don't have to pay taxes on the society and way less paperwork to do.
So if looking for alternative creators need PayPal to make tax question easy, and for supporters it's just make things more simple to refill balance on ?

DSSAlex

Aug 19, 2017
The threshold for 1099 income (which anything coming off Patreon will be) is way lower than that, more like $800. If you've made pretty much anything the IRS is gonna have their pound of flesh.

If you make an assload of money you might be able to pull some tax voodoo with passthrough corporations and pay less, but that's true of pretty much any money.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
So if looking for alternative creators need PayPal to make tax question easy, and for supporters it's just make things more simple to refill balance on ?
They need both PayPal (or similar, but PayPal is better) and a site which don't do an instant transfer of the money, letting them distribute it before it become legally their. Now you can also look at the problem like this:
At the start of the year, Patreon planned on a $7.5 million benefit this year. But it's only since they messed with their guidelines that we start to hear about serious alternatives, and almost all of them are still project. Without even talking about adult content, whatever Patreon do, it's apparently not this easy to achieve it. Else, one or two of their competitors, like Kickstarter by example, would have already opened the same service, just because there's clearly money to get here.