Ren'Py partial music playback bugged?

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
In my game I have a club with typical bass music and I have a scene outside the club. I used some trickery in Audacity (low-pass-filter) to make a copy of the 'inside the club' music to make it sound like outside. Works very good.

To make the transition between those locations better I read the position from the currently playing music and set this position for the new music.

Everything works fine, except that after the initial playback with the "from X"-string the music does not start from position 0. The documentation states:
from: Specifies the position in the file at which the first play-through begins playing.

So if I enter the club and the music played already for 60 seconds outside, it starts at the inside music 60-seconds mark. Now if I stay inside it *should* start from position 0 the next time. But it does not and repeats from position 60.

Do I misunderstand something here or did I just find Ren'Py bug? Version is 7.0.0.196

Would be cool if somebody could confirm. To quickly test this with the Ren'Py-Console use:
Code:
renpy.play("<from 110>yourexample2minutemusic.opus",channel='music')

EDIT 2018.July.17:
*reported this issue on the Ren'Py bug tacker now*
Not a big issue ... but having the music restart between the indoor- and outdoor-scene just sounds bad.

EDIT 2018.July.22:
Not a bug. For this case 'from' and 'loop' must be used together like this:
<from 42 loop 0>
Logical now, but not when you only read the docs for 'from'. *doh*