Overclock CPU

Whitenicky

A Wife And A Mother
Donor
Aug 24, 2017
Hello there, my question is it safe to overclock the cpu with good cpu cooler and overall?
Becouse of the cpu lifespan...

My Spec is:

AMD FX 6300 (Stable 4.2ghz) Turbo Off
Gigabyte 970A UD3P Rev 2.0
Cooler Master Hyper T4
Raidmax Vampire 700W Gold+

Bios Settings:

bllahbllub

May 5, 2017
Hello there, my question is it safe to overclock the cpu with good cpu cooler and overall?
Becouse of the cpu lifespan...

My Spec is:

AMD FX 6300 (Stable 4.2ghz) Turbo Off
Gigabyte 970A UD3P Rev 2.0
Cooler Master Hyper T4
Raidmax Vampire 700W Gold+

Bios Settings:

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
I have a similar build. With my wraith cooler I have on it, I can safely go up to 4 on just that setup and it will last forever. If you have liquid cooling, you can go up to 5 max.
My uncle has 2 6300 towers with liquid cooling and they are overclocked to 4.6-4.8 depending on the motherboard.
One's a gigabyte, another's the same as mine.
BTW.. he got a sabertooth 990fx, FX 9590 overclocked to 5.8 superstable and cool on a liquid cooling system. He's claimed it's stable at 5.5 oc on air. o_O

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
if you use a good third party cooler then no reason you cant overclock just keep an eye on temps.Their are 2 ways to overclock.1 if the proccesor is unlocked you can directly overclock the processor. 2 you can overclock using fsb settings if your processor is locked .(However would advise underclocking ram 1st if you go this route) as any fsb changes will affect your ram ) Their is a 3rd method you can increase voltage BUT I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST IT unless you go water cooling or liquid nitrogen cooling .Which ever route you choose look to keep temps as low as possible. yes it will potentially lower processor life but i look 3 years max before i upgrade and it won't degrade that quick

Reactions: Papa Ernie

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Rabid Dog is absolutely right. Just talked to my uncle and he reminded me that reason he does what he does is for 2 reasons..
1. Stable core voltages are a MUST. It must be stable and..
2. It must to remain under 120 Fahrenheit at all times. Brief spikes just over 120 fahrenheit is okay only if it quickly cools back to under 120 fahrenheit. Ideally, you want the chip to remain between 40-80 fahrenheit. So liquid cooling is a must if you're going over 4.0-4.2 with the fx6300.
High heat and repeated heat cycles are the killers of cpus and gpus.
So look for a stable voltage that stays under 120 fahrenheit at all times.

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
And the FX 6300 is unlocked with core multipliers right out of the box.
BTW. Mine's not overclocked since i noticed a fluctuation in the voltage at one point with my power supply unit so I am NOT overclocking it until I get a new case with better airflow and a new power system. After that's done I will overclock my FX 6300 to 4.0. If it need to. With my wraith cooler, it's staying between 54-87 degrees fahrenheit no matter what I do right now and I've not had any slowdowns, bottlenecks, issues or anything.

Whitenicky

A Wife And A Mother
Donor
Aug 24, 2017
Ok thanks guys for some advices and staff, i just played one match on Rainbow Six Siege after that i quickly opened SpeedFan and this what i see:

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Forgot to add if you do overclock do it in small incriments and check temps and stability before moving up to next clock (Rember it is a marathon not a sprint )

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Yeah.. it's almost cooking your GPU. o_O
You need more aggressive cooling before you do anything else. Seems like you're running just fans? I'd go down to 4.0 and/or get a couple more fans. Save up to get a nitrogen system.
Get the one where it cools both your GPU and CPU core.

Whitenicky

A Wife And A Mother
Donor
Aug 24, 2017
Yeah.. it's almost cooking your GPU. o_O
You need more aggressive cooling before you do anything else. Seems like you're running just fans? I'd go down to 4.0 and/or get a couple more fans. Save up to get a nitrogen system.
Get the one where it cools both your GPU and CPU core.
Ohh yeah i forgot GPU is: Sapphire R9 380 4GB Nitro Overclock Stock, fan speed is auto
I heard that this brand is kinda gpu temp bitc**** xD

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
assuming these reading were taken on idle.Temp 1 inside the case in general bit high for me personally would be looking 28 -30 HD at 34 degrees is ok. but gpu way to high for idle .how long have you had the system ?

Whitenicky

A Wife And A Mother
Donor
Aug 24, 2017
assuming these reading were taken on idle.Temp 1 inside the case in general bit high for me personally would be looking 28 -30 HD at 34 degrees is ok. but gpu way to high for idle .how long have you had the system ?
wow Rabid i said I took the picture when i played a game Rainbow Six Siege. I have the system about 2 years, this is my kinda overclock try

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
sorry misread your post getting late where i am.If those temps are under load they are not to bad just keep eye out if they start creeping higher. if it stays under 75 you all good have heard of some hitting 100 and live to tel the tale but wouldn't advise it

Whitenicky

A Wife And A Mother
Donor
Aug 24, 2017
I just went back to Bios and i change it VCore loadline calibration from Medium to Auto only
And Core Voltage is now: 1.260v or 1.248v so going up and down only those two numbers and Core Speed is stable at: 4219.32 Mhz

So what should i do?

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Keep it. Don't mess it anymore until you can get liquid cooling.
I would suggest that if you have spare funds, add a set of fans (front and rear or on the top of the case to pull air strongly through the case).