ONI the DEV who making Rogue-Like

Sword26

Donor
Aug 8, 2016
Just was wondering if there were other persons out here who share my thoughts on how a dev could make a great game with tons of potential but stab himself via he'd rather take a hit to progression over what i think to be many if not some other ways where the game doesn't suffer and he learns how to code side note.... he's been making the game on his own for a long time so what is this really about

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Just was wondering if there were other persons out here who share my thoughts on how a dev could make a great game with tons of potential but stab himself via he'd rather take a hit to progression over what i think to be many if not some other ways where the game doesn't suffer and he learns how to code side note.... he's been making the game on his own for a long time so what is this really about
This reads like a stream of consciousness thing, as if you've been thinking about this, and so you feel as though the question you'd like to ask has already been stated, but the only person who actually knows what you're looking for is you.

That is to say, I can't tell what your question was. You go from saying he stabbed himself from a hit to progression over, and then changed gears entirely to talk about other ways the game doesn't suffer, but never actually stated anything of substance for someone to actually respond to.

So, in short:

What is your grievance?
You mention a hit to progression? Which hit? How? Why?
How, if at all, would you like to see his development change?
Obviously you have an issue with how things are going, do you want him to continue some aspect of the story? Is there some problem with the way he's going about developing the story?
Finally, since you go off on another tangent at the end there, what is what about?
As cinema sins is wont to sin, you've played the pronoun game, offered no details or specifics about your grievance. I can't answer any questions without some idea of what "this" is.​

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Holy hell. I feel up for a challenge, so I'll take a crack at deciphering.

I think he's saying the dev in question is working on a great game with a lot of potential, but wasting too much time on learning to code instead of focusing on the game's content. I think he wants the dev to outsource the coding - instead of trying to do it all on their own - and wants to see if anyone here agrees with that sentiment.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Basically. This is still all just a guess, but I think the takeaway is that the updates are taking too long to be released, so the dev should hire someone with experience to do the coding. That way the main dev can work on content and get updates out faster.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
Basically. This is still all just a guess, but I think the takeaway is that the updates are taking too long to be released, so the dev should hire someone with experience to do the coding. That way the main dev can work on content and get updates out faster.
If that's the case, which is kinda how I read it too, though I think there's another specific issue in question there are a few things to talk about.

First - Oni is not originally a game designer. As a connoisseur of rule34 I have known about Oni for quite some time. As a result it's likely that Oni is still producing regular art for their income, ie, commissions, their patreon page, any other obligations, etc.

Second - Ren'Py isn't that hard to code, so while I have no doubt that Oni does have some trouble stumbling with it, the code is not taking up so much of their time that they're unable to keep updates rolling.

Third - Rogue-Like is a 2D game. 2D art, unlike 3D, takes a lot of time just to do. With 3D you create the character once and then after that it's all about posing and getting things right, the majority of your time is just spent rendering. With 2D you actually have to redraw a lot. Some things, especially sprites, can be recycled, but put the sex acts in a new location, add characters, change positions, anything like this, and you have weeks worth of drawing and colour work to do.

Look, for instance, at summertime saga, it's a slightly larger project, but has relatively similar gameplay, they only just released their recent update. Their last update before this was in January.

So, could Oni hire a coder? Sure, especially if Oni wants to expand some functionality. Will that reduce time between updates? Not nearly enough to make a noticeable difference. The time consuming part isn't the code. Most of that is really simple. The time consuming part is the art. And Oni does great art.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Nice, I think I've seen his stuff on one of the Rule34 image boards as well, heh. Not exactly my favorite style, but he clearly puts a lot of effort into that work, I'll have to take a look at the game in question later.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Second - Ren'Py isn't that hard to code, so while I have no doubt that Oni does have some trouble stumbling with it, the code is not taking up so much of their time that they're unable to keep updates rolling.
Alas, personally I have no doubt, he have a lot of troubles with Ren'py. He even still use a version which date from May 2015 (he's 19 versions late). His art is marvelous, the story of his game, and even the game play, are interesting, but the code is broke in so many ways.
But like he use a version where the developer mode don't care about most of them, he just don't see it ; or perhaps that he stick to this version because of this, who know ?

DaScoot

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
His coding is poor, yes (I've never played a release that didn't result in crash screens, I'm pretty sure), but ultimately the dude just isn't putting any real time into the game. The bottleneck isn't the code or the art, it's that he presumably has other things he'd rather be spending his time on.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
In other words laziness?

His coding is poor, yes (I've never played a release that didn't result in crash screens, I'm pretty sure), but ultimately the dude just isn't putting any real time into the game. The bottleneck isn't the code or the art, it's that he presumably has other things he'd rather be spending his time on.

Emperor_Arcturus

Jul 18, 2017
I don't think so. It's more that his real passion is drawing, and making a game with his drawing is a consequence of this, but just a consequence. So he past most of his free time drawing, and when he found some extended free time, he works on his game.
I'm fairly certain it's this exactly. People have to remember that he didn't start out as a game dev, and it's likely not where he makes the majority of his income from. Assuming that he gets most of his income from his works, then he's probably getting the majority of it from his Artwork, not his one single game that he works on. He has other priorities, outside of Rogue Like and so he probably doesn't focus on it as much as some of us might like to. When people only know him for Rogue Like, it's hard to remember that it's not his only project.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
Pretty sure everyone here knows my stance on this. Probably posted it in the games thread about 20+ times now when people start bitching about his lack of progress or something else. Games a $1 reward and as I see it, it's just a side project for him to earn a little extra cash and if I had maintained a pledge to him since finding out about the game for the game then I'd of spent $25 total which when being compared to other game devs is super cheap. Back in 2016 when I found it it felt nearly complete with just Rogue in it and the big issues didn't really start till Kitty was added in.